Home Precious Metals
Options

WHY were gold and silver prices recently hammered?

derrybderryb Posts: 36,252 ✭✭✭✭✭
There has been a lot of discussion on "by whom" and "how" concerning the recent crash in PM spot prices. IMO the most important question is "why?"

Following the nationalization of private banking funds in Cyprus there was a mad rush worldwide to convert paper counterparty risk into safe physical holdings and precious metals were not left out of the action. As a result, worldwide metal depositories, and most importantly the COMEX, began experiencing a hemmoraging of physical metal.

GOLD DISAPPEARING FROM DEPOSITORIES EVERYWHERE

As I proposed in an earlier thread "by smashing the paper market, those who were long and stopped out will no longer be able to make a claim for physical delivery. Witnessing what happened to price, those still holding paper futures will have second thoughts on demanding physical delivery. They were basically told "this is a paper market, let's keep it that way, or else."

It will be interesting to see if this latest action does in fact slow the bleeding of physical metal or if further action will be necessary. It's still early in the second inning, but it appears demand for physical has definitely increased. If so, expect further steps to discourage physical ownership. The creativity of those developing it will show no reasonable limits. I suspect we are about to see more effort to reduce physical demand. I also suspect that all along price attacks were in reality a means to weaken physical ownership. Seems each time they shake the tree, they shake it a little harder. Their ultimate weapon of course is the chain saw - an attack on physical ownership itself, either in the form of ownership controls or increased tax consequences. I for one will be watching future COMEX inventory reports.

While this causes me to question short and intermediate price strength, it only hardens my long term outlook. I for one will continue to play the silver volatility, both up and down, with ETFs while adding to my physical holdings with the profits.

Are they really this stupid, or are they destroying the dollar on purpose?

Comments

• Options
    streeterstreeter Posts: 4,312 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The people who I know that accumulate gold,
    are still buying.

The people that I know who are spooked by gold,
    are still spooked.

I have attempted to explain the rationale behind a 10-20% PM diversification
    to many peeps the last 10 years.... a couple of people got the bigger picture.
    Have a nice day
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Based on that input, the next few months should be interesting. Long term however, I still see gold going up.... seriously up. Cheers, RickO
  • Options

<< <i>Based on that input, the next few months should be interesting. Long term however, I still see gold going up.... seriously up. Cheers, RickO >>

My only long term concern is the chain saw. Growing world wide central bank life support protects the stacker from everything else.

• Options
    101 million Americans between 18-65 either unemployed or not in the work force.
    You would think that there would be a concentrated effort to solve that problem.

Us small time gold accumulators seem like nothing more than a nuisance when you look at the
    big picture

I wonder if the policy wonks even get it. When one thinks about the political capital
    that has been invested in non economic issues that last few years, it makes me nauseous.
    Have a nice day
  • Options

<< <i>Us small time gold accumulators seem like nothing more than a nuisance when you look at the big picture >>

I suspect the massive transfer of metal from west to east has finally gotten someone's attention and we small fish are just casualties of the war. Unless of course we hold our metal tight.

• Options
    C0INB0YC0INB0Y Posts: 627 ✭✭
    I think it was done more towards reeling in the Bullion Lease market

Here is how its done:

Asset Leased

To 'fix' the missing Gold, you had better start here by reeling in the Leases
    I was ‘COINB0Y' with 4812 posts and ‘Expert Collector’ ranking (Joined in 2006).
  • Options
    I do suspect there is a rush to restock the vaults since large, leased quanties that belong to soverign nations, ETS and hedge funds are more and more likely to be recalled by their owners. Sorta like fractional lending where most of the bank depositors' money has been loaned out. Instead of a run on the bank, depositories are experiencing a run on the vault. Crashing the price would serve two purposes - reduce the amount of metal likely to be recalled by its owners and lower the cost when settling in cash.

Leased metal is not that big of a concern for COMEX, it maintains the right to settle in cash. I believe where it is all going is of more concern to them than how much of it is going. Once it goes east. . . it's gone.

• Options

<< <i>I suspect we are about to see more effort to reduce physical demand. I also suspect that all along price attacks were in reality a means to weaken physical ownership. >>

If that is what they were trying to do, it backfired obviously. And if they attempt to do it again to get gold down to say, $1000, even more physical inventory will be depleted.

When the paper market goes totally FUBAR, they may resort to extreme measures such as high taxes or flat out confiscation.
  • Options
    cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,649 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I suspect we are about to see more effort to reduce physical demand.

But I thought that the lower the price went the greater the demand. You said so yourself?

You are looking for reasons to support a supposition. This invariably leads to incorrect assessment.
    Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

• Options

<< <i>I suspect we are about to see more effort to reduce physical demand.

But I thought that the lower the price went the greater the demand. You said so yourself?

You are looking for reasons to support a supposition. This invariably leads to incorrect assessment. >>

Not looking for anything, found it back in 2005. Just sharing opinion on PMs while some prefer to share opinion on fellow members.

• Options
    MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 5,312 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

You are looking for reasons to support a supposition. This invariably leads to incorrect assessment. >>

Not looking for anything, found it back in 2005. Just sharing opinion on PMs while some prefer to share opinion on fellow members. >>

It's called Oppositional Defiance, Derry. It doesn't require a topic, only to be a contrarian, regardless. It's become predictable, as it does.
    Now riding the swell in PM's and surf.
  • Options

I still say the lower the price the greater the demand. However, those manipulating the price lower are doing so based on their academic theory that lower prices will discourage the accumulation of physical. Current shortages tell us who's right and who is wrong. . . at this time. Maybe their theory will prove correct in the longer term. Time will tell.

• Options
    Miles,
    You are smarter than I am.

It's called Oppositional Defiance, Derry. It doesn't require a topic, only to be a contrarian, regardless. It's become predictable, as it does.
    Have a nice day
  • Options
    Dont you guys find it fascinating that the supposed increased demand for physical drove down the price? The panic of the Russians to get their hands in gold made the price go lower? And this is a market in which we are to find comfort?

Derrybs reasoning is akin to a scene where one man lies dead and another is holding a gun. The first supposition would be that the man was murdered which could be far from the truth.

• Options
    However, if derrybs ideas are correct, then it supports my contention that if all the physical were to be taken off the market then prices would drop. Thus is because a market would no longer exist. Why seek to obtain the unattainable?

• Options

<< <i>Dont you guys find it fascinating that the supposed increased demand for physical drove down the price? The panic of the Russians to get their hands in gold made the price go lower? And this is a market in which we are to find comfort? >>

While I have no hope of you ever agreeing with my opinion/outlook I do look forward to the day I no longer have to say the same thing two or three times to have it understood:

The increased demand for conversion of paper to physical didn't drive prices down, it drove warehouse/depository inventory down. Those that fear a metal shortage in the warehouses because of this increased demand to convert paper to physical are responsible for the price takedown in hopes of stopping the run on the vaults. We won't know if they succeeded until we see future inventory reports but they did succeed in creating increased demand in the secondary physical market that you and I live in. Rise in premiums and temporary unavailability of fabricated metal tells us this.

The increased demand for physical delivery of paper holdings is not "supposed." Depository inventories say it is real, unless you care to make a photoshop accusation:

• Options
    " While I have no hope of you ever agreeing with my opinion/outlook I do look forward to the day I no longer have to say the same thing two or three times to have it understood"

Amen.

I'm paraphrasing a jpm exec with a recent statement.
    "Why should we own it when we can buy it cheaper in the future?"
    Have a nice day
  • Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,402 ✭✭✭✭✭

I can't resist jumping - no, springboarding - into this one.image

Yes, normally a lower price stimulates more demand as long as there is demand in the first place. I suppose that I still believe the profs that taught us that many years ago.

You are looking for reasons to support a supposition. This invariably leads to incorrect assessment.

I really don't believe this to be the case, and some of the following dialog will explain the reasons why.

Re: oppositional defiance. Miles, this is one of the very few times I must disagree with you. My fiancee' works in the field. Oppositional defiance is the precursor to anti-social behavior, i.e. criminal behavior and is associated with juveniles who are supposedly not yet crystallized in their behavior patterns but who exhibit the same behaviors as anti-socials.

Contrarian opinion isn't anti-social or oppositional defiant. I don't know about the predictability aspect but my guess is that contrarian is based on reading and learning of history, and reading of "non-mainstream" opinion. And in my experience, the mainstream opinion is mainly the product of propagandizing.

Dont you guys find it fascinating that the supposed increased demand for physical drove down the price?

I don't believe that is what's been reported. My understanding of the situation is that the price was manipulated down first by jawboning and then by HFT program trading via massive sell orders during thin trading, which triggered more stops and resulted in an actual selloff in the paper market which is used as the "price". THEN, demand was stimulated and worldwide buying has been the result.

You might ask yourself, "who would do such a thing, and why?"

The panic of the Russians to get their hands in gold made the price go lower? And this is a market in which we are to find comfort?

Russia is accumulating gold, but what indicates a panic on their part? In their case, I might actually concede anti-social behavior, but that doesn't mean that Russian buying isn't happening. Gold buying on the part of the Russians is only a fraction of worldwide demand, which is substantial at the moment.

Derrybs reasoning is akin to a scene where one man lies dead and another is holding a gun. The first supposition would be that the man was murdered which could be far from the truth.

Regardless of whether derryb's analysis is 100% correct (and it may be), the fact is that the man on the ground is dead, and that fact is irrefutable. If that man owed you a large sum of money and his assets have disappeared without a trace, it makes no difference who took them or whether the other man has a gun or a bazooka.

if derrybs ideas are correct, then it supports my contention that if all the physical were to be taken off the market then prices would drop. Thus is because a market would no longer exist. Why seek to obtain the unattainable?

wtf? No, it wouldn't support that contention. Demand plays a very important part of that equation, no? If you make the assumption you are making, you are not understanding any of the supply-demand market dynamics.

And that would be a mistake. In my opinion.image

Come'on cohodk, I expect a more-reasoned counterpoint than that one.
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If all the physical were taken off the market, then the market would cease to exist?

That's probably true with respect to the Comex if they no longer have physical metal to deliver. They would cease to be a determinant of physical metal prices, only paper wishes.
    The real physical market would then shift to London or even to Hong Kong and other trading centers. Even if all these trading centers became paper players only there would still
    be a physical market out there. Individual people and merchants would determine the price of physical on a daily basis....just as they did for thousands of years before HFT's and
    derivatives descended down upon us like a plague. The market is wherever the gold is stored: your sdb, your basement, your pockets, your local coin shop, gold miners, jewelers,
    etc. All of these are part of the "market." We've been brainwashed to think that HFT's owned by too big to jail banks and hedge funds are "the market." The market is us...and most
    of the gold in the world is already in the people's hands.
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    Roadrunner , agreed.

jmski, what if the man had killed himself? Yes, it it wouldnt matter whether a gun or bazooka or even the fact that he was dead. The method of death is not in question, but the circumstances are. Just as the circumstances surrounding gold not maintaining value are questioned.

Those that fear a metal shortage in the warehouses because of this increased demand to convert paper to physical are responsible for the price takedown in hopes of stopping the run on the vaults

Gotcha derryb. image My opinion is that this is a very far fetched fantasy bantered about by die hard PM bulls. Our opinions only differ in that we view PMs differently. I see them as a just another asset class. You see them as much more important.

Nothing wrong with differing opinion. I just value opinion differently if supported by fact, rather than supposition, as I think you do as well.

For the last 3 years i've been saying that PMs will not always hold value, are not special, will cause investor angst, paranoia, and opportunity cost. And I have been very consistant in that. Unfortunately as the values (purchasing power) of PMs has dropped, the rhetoric of manipulation and conspiracy has increased. This is typical investor behavior in the face of loss that is deemed unjustified or unfathomable. All of this was highly anticipated as I have written.

I agree with many of your points (fundamentals), but also believe those fundamentals could/can prove to be false promises. Yes, gold could hit 5000 and silver 100. But if you purchased at 1800 and 40 and had to wait 15 years, well then, your returns will have been very similar to those of the stock market over the last 100 years. My belief is that all asset classes appreciate at about the same rate over time, just at different interim rates and at different times. Catch the bull when it is a calf and you will think everything is great, but catch it when it stumbled from an arthritic hip, and you may not like the ride you will take.

• Options

<< <i>Those that fear a metal shortage in the warehouses because of this increased demand to convert paper to physical are responsible for the price takedown in hopes of stopping the run on the vaults >>

<< <i>Gotcha derryb. My opinion is that this is a very far fetched fantasy bantered about by die hard PM bulls. Our opinions only differ in that we view PMs differently. I see them as a just another asset class. You see them as much more important.

Nothing wrong with differing opinion. I just value opinion differently if supported by fact, rather than supposition, as I think you do as well.

For the last 3 years i've been saying that PMs will not always hold value, are not special, will cause investor angst, paranoia, and opportunity cost. And I have been very consistant in that. Unfortunately as the values (purchasing power) of PMs has dropped, the rhetoric of manipulation and conspiracy has increased. This is typical investor behavior in the face of loss that is deemed unjustified or unfathomable. All of this was highly anticipated as I have written. >>

Our opinions are much closer than you think. The big difference appears to be the manipulation issue. I see most markets as being manipulated and see no reason to make PMs the exception. Fact is something in shortage when it comes to manipulation because of the implications to those doing the manipulating. But it is occuring in today's markets, led by FED action. Setting low interest rates and dumping trillions of dollars into the system are nothing short of manipulation - calculated action to obtain a desired market affect.

For the record I'm a die hard PM long term bull. I see the short term volatility as opportunity for those that have the know how to use it to their advantage. When I see the long term promise of metal dwindling I will find it in another asset class. When real estate quickly dwindled, I had already switched to equities and metal. When I saw equities being bubbled by the FED I went all-in with the metal. Given the policy actions against the dollar I'll continue to reside in metals, for now.

• Options
    I prefer to call the term manipulation, "the way it is". But I dont view manipulation as a deliberate attempt to separate me from my money.

• Options

<< <i>I prefer to call the term manipulation, "the way it is". But I dont view manipulation as a deliberate attempt to separate me from my money. >>

And I see it as nothing but an attempt to separate someone from their money. A high murder rate may be "the way it is," but that doesn't excuse or justify it and it shouldn't prevent voices from speaking out against it.

• Options
    DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,316 ✭✭✭✭✭
    As long as people want to play pirate with a treasure chest there will always be value to the shiny over paper or digital credits.

My grocery bill weekly proves the loss of value in the dollar. Coho can 'bear talk' all he wants. When I don't need my salary to barely get ahead we can adjust the conversation.
  • Options
    MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 5,312 ✭✭✭✭✭

Re: oppositional defiance. Miles, this is one of the very few times I must disagree with you. My fiancee' works in the field. Oppositional defiance is the precursor to anti-social behavior, i.e. criminal behavior and is associated with juveniles who are supposedly not yet crystallized in their behavior patterns but who exhibit the same behaviors as anti-socials.

Contrarian opinion isn't anti-social or oppositional defiant. I don't know about the predictability aspect but my guess is that contrarian is based on reading and learning of history, and reading of "non-mainstream" opinion. And in my experience, the mainstream opinion is mainly the product of propagandizing.

I understand your point of view, Jimski.

Oppositional Defiance need not be a precursor to anything regarding a mental condition (including the largely misunderstood diagnosis of anti-social disorder or habitual criminal behavior) other than the desire to oppose and defy for the simple internal desire to do so. The pure satisfaction of opposing others regardless of being an adult, geriatric or teen. The desire to provoke or annoy others. Plenty of high-functioning folks are oppositional. Hence, message boards.

Once one bravely states their opinion it takes little commitment or creativity to be a contrarian. Just have a firm grasp on the obvious and the polar view. That is predictable.

Now riding the swell in PM's and surf.
  • Options
    Miles,

I am NEVER--ever-- going to disagree with you.image
    Have a nice day
  • Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sometimes, folks simply disagree with an opinion because they either do not think it is correct (flat out wrong), or it oversimplifies the situation, or it indicates faulty cause-effect reasoning (correlation vs causation), or extrapolates an observation to the point of absurdity, or they think the argument contains other flaws of logic. Other times, they may be contrary to stimulate discussion and cause a refinement of position, or to set up a straw man. Or they may be just pushing buttons, for fun.

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options

<< <i>Sometimes, folks simply disagree with an opinion because they either do not think it is correct (flat out wrong), or it oversimplifies the situation, or it indicates faulty cause-effect reasoning (correlation vs causation), or extrapolates an observation to the point of absurdity, or they think the argument contains other flaws of logic. Other times, they may be contrary to stimulate discussion and cause a refinement of position, or to set up a straw man. Or they may be just pushing buttons, for fun. >>

E) all of the above
    Have a nice day
  • Options
    Miles and Baley, psych analytical

Derry, silver and gold otc sales

RR, indepth analysis from the bunker

Jmski, real world experience

Cohodk, 24 hr pot stirrer and charts

Sorry if I left anyone out.
    Have a nice day