Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Jersey Autograph Questions

Ok, I'm getting married in two months and my future wife is REALLY cool with the sports collecting thing. While we aren't living together yet, I've already moved most of my baseball/football card collection into her house. She has even suggested nice bookcases so that I can display my sets better. Anyway, she is cool with me putting up some sports memorabilia on the walls of her (our) den. I've always wanted to get some signed jerseys of some of my favorite players, so this might be the time to do it. Here are my questions:

1. Is it better to get a baseball jersey signed on the front, or on the back? Or does it matter?

2. If you add something to a jersey that has been authenticated, does that mess it up? For example, if I buy a Bob Gibson jersey with the #45, and I add a "Gibson" name to the back, is it still considered to be authenticated?

3. Are there any dealers/COA's that I should particularly look for (or avoid)? I trust PSA/DNA. I'm sure there are others that are reputable as well.

Thanks for your time.

Sam
Successful dealings with shootybabitt, LarryP, Doctor K, thedutymon, billsgridirongreats, fattymacs, shagrotn77, pclpads, JMDVM, gumbyfan, itzagoner, rexvos, al032184, gregm13, californiacards3, mccardguy1, BigDaddyBowman, bigreddog, bobbyw8469, burke23, detroitfan2, drewsef, jeff8877, markmac, Goldlabels, swartz1, blee1, EarlsWorld, gseaman25, kcballboy, jimrad, leadoff4, weinhold, Mphilking, milbroco, msassin, meteoriteguy, rbeaton and gameusedhoop.

Comments

• Options
    gameusedhoopgameusedhoop Posts: 3,544 ✭✭✭
    1. depends on how you want to display it, some jerseys are so plain on the back and so beautiful on the front (cardinals) that I'd rather have the front signed

2. if you are just buying for the auto and the jersey is not game used, then it really doesn't matter in my opinion, but then why bother adding to the back if it is auto'ed on the front (gibson, cardinals for example)

3. I usually don't do autos, so no opinions here
  • Options
    Steiner, upper deck, psa/dna, & JSA are the tops authenticators.
  • Options
    PowderedH2OPowderedH2O Posts: 2,443 ✭✭
    Not really looking for the game used. Just a nice jersey with a nice signature. Maybe get 4-5 of them for the den. I agree with the comment on Cardinals jerseys. I think I'd want that in the front. But, if I do that, I'd want to be consistent with all of them. And if numbers are on the real jerseys in the front, I think I'd want them on the signed one as well. But, I am seeing a lot of just generic team jerseys signed. Hard to keep everything the same.
    Successful dealings with shootybabitt, LarryP, Doctor K, thedutymon, billsgridirongreats, fattymacs, shagrotn77, pclpads, JMDVM, gumbyfan, itzagoner, rexvos, al032184, gregm13, californiacards3, mccardguy1, BigDaddyBowman, bigreddog, bobbyw8469, burke23, detroitfan2, drewsef, jeff8877, markmac, Goldlabels, swartz1, blee1, EarlsWorld, gseaman25, kcballboy, jimrad, leadoff4, weinhold, Mphilking, milbroco, msassin, meteoriteguy, rbeaton and gameusedhoop.
  • Options
    esquiresportsesquiresports Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭
    Sounds like you are being really thoughtful about your choices beforehand, which is really going to save you some regret in the long-run. If you are patient, you should be able to find what you are looking for over a several month period. It can take time to find authentic jerseys signed where you prefer. Just be patient and don't settle for much less than you want.

Tri-Star, Upper Deck and MLB are additional reputable signature authenticators. Some players have their own holograms, like Nolan Ryan and Willie Mays.

Think about how you want to display the jerseys. You can use anything from specialized hangers made just for jerseys that cost $15 all the way to custom framing, which can easily go $300+. If you'd like any suggestions, I can show you a few examples. Just pm me.

Always buying 1971 OPC Baseball packs.