Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

With all the vintage wax box frenzy...

I would think that vintage graded single packs from the 50s-60s would be a better deal. I myself would rather buy a good vintage pack instead of something from the 80s or 90s if I was going to keep it sealed anyway. I also think wax pack trays should start getting more respect to since I would call it a mini wax box just like the blaster boxes sold at Target and they are sealed too.

Comments

• Options
    esquiresportsesquiresports Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭
    I think people are actually already focused on these packs. A 1958 Topps wax pack graded PSA 8 sold for more than $14,000 at auction just yesterday. I believe this is the second highest amount ever paid for a Topps pack, with the record holder being a 1952 pack many years ago.
    Always buying 1971 OPC Baseball packs.
  • Options

<< <i>I also think wax pack trays should start getting more respect to since I would call it a mini wax box just like the blaster boxes sold at Target and they are sealed too. >>

With that last 1979 wax box selling on ebay for $787 + shipping that brings that cost per pack to $22. A wax tray at $66 delivered would be the same price per pack. Knowing they are unsearched and factory sealed normally adds a premium to that. If you allow an extra 10%-15% for the unopened guarantee, trays should sell for $72-$75 delivered. IMO trays currently selling in the $60's are therefore a bargain. I couldn't have predicted this price 1 year ago and I have no idea where the price will be in 2014. I just never cease to be amazed.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'WOW What a Ride!' Mark Frost
  • Options
    spazzyspazzy Posts: 592 ✭✭
    BBCE has a 1968 topps fb wax pack psa 7 for 200.00 and a 1978 fb wax tray for 75.oo. I would much rather have these older packs than these higher 1980s to 90s packs.
  • Options

<< <i>BBCE has a 1968 topps fb wax pack psa 7 for 200.00 and a 1978 fb wax tray for 75.oo. I would much rather have these older packs than these higher 1980s to 90s packs. >>

I think it might seem logical in one scope that these older packs will continue to demand high costs and remain in scarce quantities. Yet, I think (as it has been mentioned) a new sense of vintage is emerging, that being the early 80's and in some respects mid to late 80's. We are seeing, minimally, 1980 itself being on par with 1979. The Henderson is just as challenging a card as, say, 1979 Ozzie Smith. Further, 1981, although not as popular a set, the Valenzuela is a hot card to pull in the hopes one gets the first PSA 10 (aside fro the HOF'ers).

So with that notion, its a value/reward that seems to pay off better in getting an entire box of 1980 in hopes of pulling a handful of 10's, versus one pack of 1968. Maybe a pack of 1980 will never be $200. The 1968 pack is 45 years old now, while 1980 is 33 years old. It is getting older. Even 1989 is 24 years old now. As strange as it may seem. The prices have been going up. Yet, there is less of a let down opening a box of 1989 Fleer and getting Johnson, Ripken, Ryan, Griffey, etc for $10 than one pack and (if you open it) and getting a few common cards. Its a pro and con thing.

That is my position.
  • Options
    RookieWaxRookieWax Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭
    For what you pay for one pack of the stuff you are talking about, you can get an entire case of wax boxes from the 1980s-90s. If you pick a decent product and the boxes each increase even slightly in value, your entire case would give you a better return than your single pack is likely to. And if you decide to open them eventually instead, you would get a longer period of enjoyment with the entire case than you would on a "quicky" rip with your single pack.