Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Need help with this card

I'm thinking of buying this card but I'm not too familiar with modern cards.

Seller listed it as a refractor but psa label does not state this.

Is this a true refractor?
Ichiro card

Comments

• The link is blocked for me but I am going to guess you are talking about 2001 Bowman Chrome. I believe the 2001 rookie cards were all refractors.
  • digicatdigicat Posts: 8,551 ✭✭
    For that set, the base rookie cards were refractors.
    My Giants collection want list

WTB: 2001 Leaf Rookies & Stars Longevity: Ryan Jensen #/25
  • Baez578Baez578 Posts: 967 ✭✭✭
    What's throwing me off than is the smr. bowman chrome on the ichiro card is listed with a base, ref, and gold ref.

Then, I've seen some psa labels with the word refractor and others without.
  • I just checked the PSA Price Guide, yeah, I'm confused now too.

Edited to add: It looks like there are base cards, X-fractors and Gold refractors for base cards. The rookie autographs were all refractors.
  • CDsNutsCDsNuts Posts: 10,092
    The SMR is a useless piece of crap that rarely gets updated or checked for accuracy. There were no non-refractors of the SP rookies including Ichiro and Pujols. Ichiro had English and Japanese versions of the regular refractor, gold ref and x-fractor, all of which I believe could only be pulled via redemption card.

$85-$100 is about the going rate for a PSA 9 of the regular refractor.

Lee
  • CubbyCubby Posts: 2,096
    Ichiro's true RC from BC is 351A-English version or 351B-Japanese version...And then as Lee mentioned he also has
    Rookie insersts Chrome Gold Refractor #99 both English and Japanese, and Chrome X fractors again in both languages.

BTW: Cubby=Cub Fan
    Thanks for the info. And I agree with you about the SMR....they rarely update. Looks like I'm going to get an account with VCP
  • fkwfkw Posts: 1,766 ✭✭
    FYI, There are 2 interesting American made cards of Ichiro that were made 20 years ago in 1993 when he played for the Hilo Stars here in Hawaii.

after a storage room was looted and the cops on the trail, almost 1/2 of the known cards were purposely destroyed in a fire by thieves that didnt know what they had...

from a PSA article about the 1993 Hilo cards...

"In the fall of 1993, Ichiro was one of several Japanese players selected to play in the inaugural season of the Hawaii Winter Baseball League. This league was managed under the auspices of U.S. Major League Baseball. It was designed for players at about the High Class A level. Each major league team provided several players from their farm systems to take part in the four-team league. In addition, about 15-20 Japanese pro players also participated.

The HWBL featured many players who would later achieve stardom in the Major Leagues, including Jason Giambi and Ichiro Suzuki! The league was plagued by poor attendance and disbanded after the 1996 season, but during the HWBL's existence fully licensed HWBL team sets were produced each year that were sold at the ballparks. As the league had few fans, only 500 sets were printed in 1993 by the licensee, Pacific Sports Promotions. Cards #1 and #5 in the Hilo Stars team set depict a very young Ichiro Suzuki. These blue flecked border beauties are the only known cards of Ichiro in his Hilo Stars uniform.

Before you get excited about fully licensed 1993 American Ichiro rookie cards printed in a quantity of only 500, consider the fact that a good portion of these cards no longer exist. The Hilo Stars set was in such little demand that fewer than 300 sets were actually sold at the stadiums in 1993. The remaining sets sat in the producer's inventory for several years until his warehouse was robbed. Among the thousands upon thousands of cards stolen were the remaining 1993 Ichiro HWBL cards! Eventually, the thieves were apprehended, but not until they had burned their stash of Ichiro cards and most others in an attempt to destroy the evidence upon hearing the police were closing in on them! This means that approximately 300 of card #1 and card #5 have survived to the present day."

http://www.psacard.com/Articles/ArticleView/3128/japans-leading-man

• DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭

<< <i>Looks like I'm going to get an account with VCP >>

David ... it's really a great reference to have.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
    Thanks fkw!

This card must carry a hefty price tag
  • hammeredhammered Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭
    The above card was sold by Goodwin last year for $1800+