Home Precious Metals

Everything Is Rigged

By Matt Taibbi
April 25, 2013 1:00 PM ET
Conspiracy theorists of the world, believers in the hidden hands of the Rothschilds and the Masons and the Illuminati, we skeptics owe you an apology. You were right. The players may be a little different, but your basic premise is correct: The world is a rigged game. We found this out in recent months, when a series of related corruption stories spilled out of the financial sector, suggesting the world's largest banks may be fixing the prices of, well, just about everything.

As if there was any Doubt?
I was ‘COINB0Y' with 4812 posts and ‘Expert Collector’ ranking (Joined in 2006).

Comments

• gsa1fangsa1fan Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭
    Avid collector of GSA's.
  • C0INB0YC0INB0Y Posts: 627 ✭✭
    Whelp, that is by far the BEST. most succinct explanation of life you will ever hear.

That's why he's dead ;>
    I was ‘COINB0Y' with 4812 posts and ‘Expert Collector’ ranking (Joined in 2006).
  • roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not exactly a surprise that the $360 TRILL otc interest rate swap market is probably rigged. They called the people handling input rates at ICAP as "Treasure Island."
    Now that Libor and Interest rate swaps are imaginery, is there anything else out there that might also be 100% rigged. Hmmm....maybe a barbarous relic or two? Better be
    careful or I'll be accused of donning my tin-foil hat again.

We have HFT's and super-computers everywhere, yet 20 guys around the world set the rates for Libor and IR swaps. Makes sense to me.....image
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • well, duuh... at least he finally brought up the metals markets.
  • mariner67mariner67 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭
    This is news?
    Successful trades/buys/sells with gdavis70, adriana, wondercoin, Weiss, nibanny, IrishMike, commoncents05, pf70collector, kyleknap, barefootjuan, coindeuce, WhiteTornado, Nefprollc, ajw, JamesM, PCcoins, slinc, coindudeonebay,beernuts, and many more
  • C0INB0YC0INB0Y Posts: 627 ✭✭

<< <i>We have HFT's and super-computers everywhere, yet 20 guys around the world set the rates for Libor and IR swaps. Makes sense to me.....image >>

All for leftover sushi

<< <i>This is news? >>

Only for those who don't own tin foil hats and preach about free markets and a perpetual, wonderful economy.

I would never have traded top secret information for old sushi.....but a Chilli's volcano cake is another story. imageimage
  • derrybderryb Posts: 36,118 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't believe a word of it. image

The decline from democracy to tyranny is both a natural and inevitable one.

• cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,554 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Its in Rolling Stone so it must be 100% truth. No fact spinning or editorializing.

I'm going to finish my steak and zinfandel, banksters be damned
    Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

<< <i>Its in Rolling Stone so it must be 100% truth. No fact spinning or editorializing.

I'm going to finish my steak and zinfandel, banksters be damned >>

How do you know that's not horsemeat and how do you know that's not a knockoff wine? Do you have certificates of authenticity or USDA certs? And if you did would you even believe them to be true? Better yet, send them to a lab before consuming them.

<< <i>Its in Rolling Stone so it must be 100% truth. No fact spinning or editorializing.

I don't judge the book by its cover. Matt Taibbi's stuff would be good whether in the NY Times, Barron's, or Rolling Stone.
    If you find any facts wrong let us know. I've yet to find a factual error in Matt's stuff. He's pretty thorough. A little editorializing never hurt anyone.

I get all my meats at the Baleyville Butcher shop. It's a long drive for me but worth the trip. I know nothing is rigged or less than perfection in good ole BVille.

<< <i>I don't judge the book by its cover. >>

"judgemental," that's the word I've been looking for. thanks.

• VanHalenVanHalen Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>...Only for those who don't own tin foil hats and preach about free markets... imageimage >>

Somebody must have had their head in the sand for a long time if they're still preaching about free markets. That is something not seen for decades.

I don't watch much of CNBC these days. image I did agree with a bit on Mad Money recently when Jim Cramer espoused on the current state of the financial markets. He said, "We all know this is going to end badly but we can make some money in the meantime". Now if you can predict when things end badly, you will be in very good shape. image
  • BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i> I know nothing is rigged or less than perfection in good ole BVille. >>

Saying "maybe not everything is rigged" is not the same as saying "nothing is rigged" or "everything is perfect", but we probably shouldn't expect folks who use such fallacious arguments and personal insults so ineffectually, to understand the distinction. Such folks apparently live in a black and white world with no room for nuance of language or logic, nor respect for dissenting points of view from others.

So, "everything is rigged" huh? Oh, lordy, what to do?? wait... is it... buy gold?

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• LowBudgetLowBudget Posts: 383 ✭✭
    how do conspiracy theorists take their coffee? black like their helicopters .....Taibbi waited about 3 hours before writing about the death of Andrew Breitbart, he called it "death of a douche" I don't take anything he writes as anything more than rantings of a left wing loon
    "I'm dropping my standards so that I can buy more"

<< <i>how do conspiracy theorists take their coffee? black like their helicopters .....Taibbi waited about 3 hours before writing about the death of Andrew Breitbart, he called it "death of a douche" I don't take anything he writes as anything more than rantings of a left wing loon >>

Breitbart did the identical thing a few hours after Ted Kennedy's death and lambasted him. Seems to me Taibbi was making a point about how Breitbart went through life...and should
    have expected such a response from his critiques. Breitbart probably would have demanded nothing less.

<< <i>

How do you know that's not horsemeat and how do you know that's not a knockoff wine? Do you have certificates of authenticity or USDA certs? And if you did would you even believe them to be true? Better yet, send them to a lab before consuming them. >>

Perhaps having raised and butchered beef gives me a unique perspective into quality meat. horses have a different body structure than cattle and therefore it is easily discernible via the shape and texture of the meat. Horse meat also has a different flavor. My preference however would be a venison tenderloin.

The wine came from a local winery where I have had the pleasure of witnessing the manufacturing process.

I find it difficult to believe that you look for conspiracy in cows and fermented grapes.

<< <i>I find it difficult to believe that you look for conspiracy in cows and fermented grapes. >>

I find it difficult to believe that you find it so difficult to believe what so many others can clearly see. Appears you see a conspiracy in what others believe to be true. Could it be that you are the ulitmate tin-hatter?

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am going to look at my gold.... I know that is real....image Cheers, RickO
    so many others

Can you please quantify this? ni]

How many people are you actually suggesting?

<< <i>so many others

Can you please quantify this? ni]

How many people are you actually suggesting? >>

Working on it

<< <i>

<< <i>how do conspiracy theorists take their coffee? black like their helicopters .....Taibbi waited about 3 hours before writing about the death of Andrew Breitbart, he called it "death of a douche" I don't take anything he writes as anything more than rantings of a left wing loon >>

Breitbart did the identical thing a few hours after Ted Kennedy's death and lambasted him. Seems to me Taibbi was making a point about how Breitbart went through life...and should
    have expected such a response from his critiques. Breitbart probably would have demanded nothing less. >>

Kennedy got away with murder. That's the difference