Home Metal Detecting
Options

Trying to decide what MD to buy

Klif50Klif50 Posts: 663 ✭✭✭✭
Kellyco has a good deal (?) going right now for the Garrett ACE 250 with a bunch of accessories for about 241, give or take. I'm an old guy and I walk slow so I like the idea of the handle and then the arm brace to help carry the weight. I've read a lot of stuff but not sure this is a really good beginner detector. I got my first detector from them back in 1974 and it was a BFO type and I was living in England and found a buried mini car, a horseshoe and wrappers from condoms and candy bars. Since then I've had a couple of White's but they always wear me down before I find much. I love in Georgia and will be mostly looking around fallen down home sites and looking for coins and junk (especially junk). Any good or bad words on this model?

Comments

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Garrett Ace 250 is a great entry level MD.... and many people stick to it. Not good on beaches or trashy soil. Will serve you well, though not as good as a higher level detector especially around cellar holes, old home sites etc. Good park or lawn MD. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    Klif50Klif50 Posts: 663 ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks very much. Just ordered one from Kellyco.
  • Options
    Bayard1908Bayard1908 Posts: 3,984 ✭✭✭✭
    I have an Ace 250, although I intend to upgrade to a Minelab eTrac soon. I suggest you put a sniper coil on your 250 for quickly finding relatively shallow coins.