Home Precious Metals
Options

When the rubber hits the road...

mrpaseomrpaseo Posts: 4,753 ✭✭✭
Gold is Gold right? I mean, taking these two into consideration, they both are well known and accepted right?

$175.49 for a 2013 1/10 oz Gold American Eagle Coins

$157.11 for a 2013 1/10 oz Gold Canadian Maple Leaf Coins

$18.38 per 1/10 oz Cheaper?

Comments

• Options
    secondrepublicsecondrepublic Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭
    Supply and demand... but it's dumb (in my opinion) to pay a 10%+ premium just to get an AGE
    "Men who had never shown any ability to make or increase fortunes for themselves abounded in brilliant plans for creating and increasing wealth for the country at large." Fiat Money Inflation in France, Andrew Dickson White (1912)
  • Options
    nibannynibanny Posts: 2,761
    That may be because of the halt discussed in the other thread.

Though, AGE are always more appealing to the American people.

I always chase (being Italian) the Philharmonics at Provident, they are way cheaper than any other coin they have.
    The member formerly known as Ciccio / Posts: 1453 / Joined: Apr 2009
  • Options
    mariner67mariner67 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭
    Cheaper yes, however, isn't the increased premiums returned when selling and AGEs are easier to sell?
    I think that is usually the case.
    Successful trades/buys/sells with gdavis70, adriana, wondercoin, Weiss, nibanny, IrishMike, commoncents05, pf70collector, kyleknap, barefootjuan, coindeuce, WhiteTornado, Nefprollc, ajw, JamesM, PCcoins, slinc, coindudeonebay,beernuts, and many more
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,423 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Gold is Gold right? I mean, taking these two into consideration, they both are well known and accepted right?

$175.49 for a 2013 1/10 oz Gold American Eagle Coins

$157.11 for a 2013 1/10 oz Gold Canadian Maple Leaf Coins

$18.38 per 1/10 oz Cheaper? >>

The big difference is the Maple Leaf gold coins are pure gold which is prefered in many parts of the world over alloyed gold even if both coins contain the same amount of gold.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

If you go to APMEX for 175 you can get ducats

10% bigger than a tenthimage

Premiums are a waste of money get more gold

I don't get the shipping cost complaints . Maybe its because I get 12mpg in my bronco image my number one local guy is a 3 gallon round trip so there is $10 up in smoke right there.

Shipping , gas , sales tax, there are incremental charges for every method.

Not to mention APMEX is selling coins still and my local guy would only part with 2 rings from the 14k scrap bucket . $28 a gram is a good price but I wanted more than that image
  • Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,376 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I prefer AGEs and allow some premium for them, but Maples would be my close 2nd Choice, although I've always thought that those ducats are nice-looking.
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,987 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Cheaper yes, however, isn't the increased premiums returned when selling and AGEs are easier to sell?
    I think that is usually the case. >>

Why should AGEs be easier to sell?
  • Options
    tneigtneig Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭
    I don't know why the maples are not as highly regarded as they are common, local, high quality, purer and a good price.
    Man they are nice for the price. I want some..

Paying more premium now, to get more pre later means I hope I can get more prem later.
    Paying less premium now for the maple takes the guess work out later, unless one considers them less sale-able later..

$175 for the eagles is about what it was when spot was higher so no big bargain there. The few apmex has are $200 ish.
    $157 and available is good. Ummm..
    COA
  • Options
    $175 is because of today's news. They won't be able to hold it longer, imo.
    They can though raise the premium for all the other coins...
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Cheaper yes, however, isn't the increased premiums returned when selling and AGEs are easier to sell?

Why should AGEs be easier to sell? >>

More demand. List one AGE and one Maple and see which goes first.
  • Options
    DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cheaper is better. If I could have put my continent set together with lower premium than what I did it would have been nice. Chinese and Russians, totally cost me.
  • Options

<< <i>Cheaper is better. If I could have put my continent set together with lower premium than what I did it would have been nice. Chinese and Russians, totally cost me. >>

Ahhhh what's the continent set? Gold?
  • Options

<< <i>If you go to APMEX for 175 you can get ducats

10% bigger than a tenthimage

Premiums are a waste of money get more gold... >>

Now that is nice... and I don't have one yet image Good advice, thanks.

Ray
  • Options
    DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Cheaper is better. If I could have put my continent set together with lower premium than what I did it would have been nice. Chinese and Russians, totally cost me. >>

Ahhhh what's the continent set? Gold? >>

Piece of gov gold from every continent but Antarctica, new and old, always adding. The panda was the last one to finish the first leg, upsizing and variety is the continueum.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

Why should AGEs be easier to sell? >>

More demand. List one AGE and one Maple and see which goes first. >>

More demand for what reason? Are AGEs preferred out of brand loyalty or loyalty because they are American made? How about gold Buffaloes vs Maple Leafs? Same reasoning? Is there a standard premium for AGEs and Buffaloes that is consistent from major seller to major seller? How can you be sure that the premium will be returned when selling?
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have stayed mostly with AGE's, simply because they are recognized and move faster here in America. I do have some Mexican gold, and a Canadian Haida (mainly because I think the design is great image ).... some nuggets I have found.... some Brittania's and some other odd pieces I do not recall right now. Still, AGE's will remain my main focus - mainly because of liquidity. Cheers, RickO
  • Options

<< <i>I have stayed mostly with AGE's, simply because they are recognized and move faster here in America. I do have some Mexican gold, and a Canadian Haida (mainly because I think the design is great image ).... some nuggets I have found.... some Brittania's and some other odd pieces I do not recall right now. Still, AGE's will remain my main focus - mainly because of liquidity. Cheers, RickO >>

But why are they more liquid? What's better/more attractive about them compared to a Maple Leaf or one ounce bar? If you didn't know there was a premium would you still prefer them?
  • Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

The math on premiums doesn't work at all price levels. If silver is $10 an ounce the ASE premium was around 4 bucks I seem to recall.

So say its 4 bucks still? back then it was 40% of another ounce now its only 15% of an ounce or whatever . It cost you a quarter ounce of silver .

I posted a ducat for the same price as as a 1/10th AGE its .1106 instead of .1 . No matter what you project about premiums going forward , someone buying is going to take the "price" of gold then multiply by the .1106 to get a melt value as the first step the same as they do with the .1 for the AGE.

A generous buyer may wish to tack on a premium because he desires the AGE more but maybe he won't. Buyers rarely offer extra money for anything out of the goodness of their own heart.

Liquidity is a grey area gold content is not its easily tested , weighed , multiplied, or looked up in a book or on the internet

• Options

<< <i>The math on premiums doesn't work at all price levels. If silver is $10 an ounce the ASE premium was around 4 bucks I seem to recall.

So say its 4 bucks still? back then it was 40% of another ounce now its only 15% of an ounce or whatever . It cost you a quarter ounce of silver .

I posted a ducat for the same price as as a 1/10th AGE its .1106 instead of .1 . No matter what you project about premiums going forward , someone buying is going to take the "price" of gold then multiply by the .1106 to get a melt value as the first step the same as they do with the .1 for the AGE.

A generous buyer may wish to tack on a premium because he desires the AGE more but maybe he won't. Buyers rarely offer extra money for anything out of the goodness of their own heart.

Liquidity is a grey area gold content is not its easily tested , weighed , multiplied, or looked up in a book or on the internet >>

I have not recently sold any gold to say a dealer or B&M, but do they normally quote you a price based on spot [regardless of the form of gold] or do they actually take into account that it might be an AGE instead of a bar or round? Does one stand the best chance of recovering the premium by selling it back to the place they bought it from?
  • Options
    streeterstreeter Posts: 4,312 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you guys are playing with Maples,
    Remember that there are two prices.

Three nines and damaged maples are 5% less when selling back to a dealer.

Have a nice day
  • Options

<< <i>Three nines and damaged maples are 5% less when selling back to a dealer. >>

I can understand dealers buying damaged maples at a discount but I don't understand why 999 would be discounted.

• Options
    My opinion only...and harsh

The maple has a two tiered price and they brought in on themselves.

They made two coins, three nines and four nines which damage easily.

The damaged four nines get lumped with the three nines.

Gold is Gold but Maples are not a good market, esp. from POV of an uneducated
    buyer.

JMHO
    Have a nice day
  • Options

<< <i>If you guys are playing with Maples,

Three nines and damaged maples are 5% less when selling back to a dealer. >>

Do they dock you for damaged AGEs too?
  • Options
    Bager,

I would imagine right now an au58 AGE trades the same as a BU.

But not a Maple.

Depends on the shop, the customer and THE MARKET.

Have a nice day
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>If you guys are playing with Maples,

Three nines and damaged maples are 5% less when selling back to a dealer. >>

Do they dock you for damaged AGEs too? >>

I would treat any damaged gold coin the same as scrap gold or broken jewelry. I certainly wouldn't pay the same price as an undamaged coin.