Home Precious Metals
Options

Just a stupid chart. Dont bother with this thread if you dont believe in voodoo.

cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,632 ✭✭✭✭✭

Comment as you wish.
Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

Comments

• Options
    VanHalenVanHalen Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice chart.

On a somewhat unrelated note: There has been much discussion this week regarding a huge rise in the cost of getting one ounce of physical gold to market. Some have it as high as $1100. Comments?
  • Options
    cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,632 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Nice chart.

On a somewhat unrelated note: There has been much discussion this week regarding a huge rise in the cost of getting one ounce of physical gold to market. Some have it as high as $1100. Comments? >>

My comment is that comments like that are put forth as a marketing ploy or as an attempt at an excuse as to why gold MUST hold its value. Production costs are meaningless.

Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

• Options
    GrumpyEdGrumpyEd Posts: 4,749 ✭✭✭

<< <i>On a somewhat unrelated note: There has been much discussion this week regarding a huge rise in the cost of getting one ounce of physical gold to market. Some have it as high as $1100. Comments? >>

I heard similar comments about the cost of bringing silver to market.

Isn't there a natural relationship in the price to bring PMs to market and the market price?
    There's gold and silver in all sorts of places all with different costs to get it to market.
    Lets say a deep gold mine that costs $1500 an ounce to bring the gold to market, if gold is $1600 an ounce they mine it, if gold drops to $1500 they shut down that mine and keep the other mines with lower costs. The average cost to bring PMs to market would be those near the break even point averaged in with the more profitable ones.

Isn't the cost to market always going to track (with some spread) the market price?
    I think it's almost opposite of what people are saying that the cost to bring it to market sets a floor, it's more like the market price sets a cap on the "cost to bring it to market".
    Ed
  • Options
    mikliamiklia Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Nice chart.

On a somewhat unrelated note: There has been much discussion this week regarding a huge rise in the cost of getting one ounce of physical gold to market. Some have it as high as $1100. Comments? >>

My comment is that comments like that are put forth as a marketing ploy or as an attempt at an excuse as to why gold MUST hold its value. Production costs are meaningless. >>

Bingo. as the price of metals drop, firms continue to produce and sometimes even ramp up production in an effort to lose less, exacerbating the drop in prices until the weak firms go out of business. the boom/bust cycle of mining is well documented and highly repetitive, 'fundamentals' or no. sub 1k in gold in the next 2-3 years is a very solid possibility.
  • Options
    ExodusExodus Posts: 348 ✭✭✭
    My untrained eye tells me that gold will be in the 900-1100 range by next Easter.

Naked shorts seem to be in charge of this one.
  • Options
    shorecollshorecoll Posts: 5,445 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree with Ed.
    ANA-LM, NBS, EAC
  • Options
    57loaded57loaded Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭
    You missed one move a few years back....it didn't hurt anybody...this hurts and wasn't missed.

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,227 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Production costs are meaningless. >>

Not to those that pay them upfront, and they are generally passed on to the consumer. A producer has to look at his costs to determine if he is profiting. If he is not profiting he will not be able to continue production for very long.

Production costs affect prices, except in "controlled" markets where price equilibrium is not determined by supply and demand forces. Like interest rates, could it be that the PMs are one of these exceptions?

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Charts are interesting history, but rarely can be counted on as predictive..... certainly one can 'assume' future movement, but factors far beyond charts dictate actual movement. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    57loaded57loaded Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭
    Dave has shown over the years that his "charted waters" are mostly safe to travel through and clarity lets us perceive a bottom.
  • Options
    guitarwesguitarwes Posts: 9,241 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Comment as you wish. >>

just looks like a bunch of lines and stuff. Can't read all that mumbo jumbo.
    @ Elite CNC Routing & Woodworks on Facebook. Check out my work.
    Too many positive BST transactions with too many members to list.
  • Options
    mariner67mariner67 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭
    "just looks like a bunch of lines and stuff. Can't read all that mumbo jumbo. "
    Successful trades/buys/sells with gdavis70, adriana, wondercoin, Weiss, nibanny, IrishMike, commoncents05, pf70collector, kyleknap, barefootjuan, coindeuce, WhiteTornado, Nefprollc, ajw, JamesM, PCcoins, slinc, coindudeonebay,beernuts, and many more
  • Options
    nibannynibanny Posts: 2,761

<< <i>"just looks like a bunch of lines and stuff. Can't read all that mumbo jumbo. "
    image >>

I wish I could understand those charts...even only a little would help!
    The member formerly known as Ciccio / Posts: 1453 / Joined: Apr 2009
  • Options
    streeterstreeter Posts: 4,312 ✭✭✭✭✭
    OK,
    SO...hypothetically gold goes to $1,000.

If you had a trillion dollars in your piggy bank, you could purchase a
    BILLION oz.

Now, me think....hmmmm...who has 1T$......
    H mmm... PBOC?
    Bingo. Coincidently...they acquire gold. Their lucky day.
    Have a nice day
  • Options
    tychojoetychojoe Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭
    Interesting. Would this chart give you a lot of confidence in a particular prediction of the near future, like over the next 4-6 months, or just a lot of confidence in a set of 4 or 5 possible scenarios over the next 6 -18 months?

How does one read these tea leaves?