Home Metal Detecting
Options

Metal Detecting in Europe (France/Germany)

I am leaving on Thursday for a 5-week trip to France/Germany. Maybe Italy as well. I am considering taking my metal detector, even though I am a total newbie at it. I've actually never gone out in the wild with it!

Anyone have a legit source for the legality/rules of metal detecting in these countries? My schedule is wide open, I'll be taking my time meandering around, travelling by train, so I'd surely have the time to try it out.

My unit (Bounty Hunter Bud 1) disassembles pretty well. Will a simple garden trowel do? I won't have room to take or carry a full size shovel or other tools with me

Thanks!
http://stores.ebay.ca/Mattscoin - Canadian coins, World Coins, Silver, Gold, Coin lots, Modern Mint Products & Collections

Comments

• Options
    pcgs69pcgs69 Posts: 4,262 ✭✭✭✭
    I can't help you on the laws over there, but maybe over on Treasurenet they'll be able to help you out if you log in over there. Make sure that if you carry your detector on carry-on that your airline wouldn't have any problems with it. Looking forward to hearing your stories!
  • Options
    kevinstangkevinstang Posts: 1,517 ✭✭✭
    I recently talked to a young german exchange student about metal detecting in his country and he said it was forbidden, he was amazed we could use them over here. A couple of years ago I ran into a french tourist group in a park while detecting- while not talking much to them (language barrier- the german student spoke very good english) they seemed to think I was a government worker and did not comprehend what I was doing.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    European laws vary regarding metal detecting....some areas permit it on beaches, most do not allow it in historical or private areas. Check well in advance or you will lose your equipment and possibly face fines and/or prison - and European prisons are not country clubs like the U.S. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would suggest renting one there,before carrying one on board.
  • Options
    BjornBjorn Posts: 529 ✭✭✭
    There was a US guy in the armed forces who used to detect in Germany and posted his finds (can't remember the site), but he seemed to have no problem with the police. I think it is based on the state/province, and he was in Bavaria which if I remember correctly is pretty detector-friendly. France apparently has laws that are vague; they sound pretty draconian unless you are on a beach, but there are a number of French detectorists who apparently get around them through a certain interpretation of the law with no issue from their local police - nonetheless, you may wish to stick to the beaches unless you know some locals detectorists or police/officials. I don't know Italy's laws, but I suspect they would be much stricter than anything in France or Germany...

-Bjorn