Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

$450 Down The Toilet

Someone just paid $450 for this reprint. I contacted the seller and told him it was a reprint. All he said was thank you. After giving him a few days to take it down I reported the item to ebay and the didn't do anything. I tried.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1961-1962-FLEER-BASKETBALL-8-WILT-CHAMBERLAIN-HALL-OF-FAME-ROOKIE-CARD-/330902767510?pt=US_Basketball&hash=item4d0b578796

ebay item # 330902767510

Comments

• Options
    DakilloDakillo Posts: 158 ✭✭
    Not trying to play Devil's Advocate...just an honest question because I'm curious and know next to nothing about basketball cards - vintage or modern. I did a quick comparison of a sold #8 Fleer '61-'62 Chamberlain that was slabbed by SGC and couldn't find any discernible differences (besides the obvious clarity and centering of the item just sold).

What makes this a reprint?

• Options
    ElvisPElvisP Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭
    Look at Chamberlain himself. He is all washed out and you can hardly read PHILA on his jersey. His picture looks like a bad Xerox copy. Look at how a real one looks and compare.
  • Options
    DakilloDakillo Posts: 158 ✭✭
    I see the difference, but also see that its a photo and not a scan. From personal experience, I know that an indirect flash accentuates color but can pulverize a greyscale image. Since the card contains sharp colors, yet Wilt's greyscale image is skewed, this easily fits a 'bad picture' scenario.

Looking again, however, I noticed that most of the other cards have a line of resolution missing immediately below Wilt's torso. Notice how the subject card has a clean, horizontal line between the bottom border and the picture:

Your possible reprint

Now look at these other examples and the bottom border anomaly:

SGC 86

SGC 55

Another raw example

Then, to throw a monkey wrench into that theory, we have this graded example that has no border anomaly:

BVG 5.5

Again, I'm neither trying to justify nor accuse, just offering a different perspective.

• Options
    ElvisP

I looked at the card in question.

I personally find no issues with it being a REPRINT. If it wasn't good, that is the best
    forgery I have ever seen. Obviously I have not personally inspected the card, but,
    I see nothing in the picture that would make me think it is a reprint or a fake, for that
    matter.

Just m2c

Tony
    KalineFan
  • Options
    gaspipe26gaspipe26 Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭
    Why would Ebay take it down on your word? You cant tell for sure its a reprint. Maybe you should worry about you're items.
  • Options
    The card looks good to me...Policing eBay is not very fun anyway image
    Collecting 1962-1985 Topps Baseball with an emphasis on the 70's!

http://www.psacard.com/PSASetRegistry/MemberImageGallery.aspx?m=8724
  • Options
    mcadamsmcadams Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Why would Ebay take it down on your word? You cant tell for sure its a reprint. Maybe you should worry about you're items. >>

I hate being the English police, but the correct usage was "your", not "you're". "You're" is an abbreviation for "you are". You wouldn't say "Maybe you should worry about you are items." Stay class CU....
    Successful transactions with: thedutymon, tsalems1, davidpuddy, probstein123, lodibrewfan, gododgersfan, dialj, jwgators, copperjj, larryp, hookem, boopotts, crimsontider, rogermnj, swartz1, Counselor

Always buying Bobby Cox inserts. PM me.
  • Options
    get a life mcadams
  • Options
    GRGR Posts: 550 ✭✭
    Nothing wrong with being well versed in proper grammar.
    Nathan Wagner
  • Options
    Gaspipe's grammar is about as good as his grading on the raw lots he sells......
  • Options
    ElvisPElvisP Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭
    This is the feedback left by the buyer. "Can't wait to get this card graded, didn't realize there was a color bleed?"

I still think it is a reprint based on the picture of Wilt. I think it is evidenced by the fact this card only went for $450 and looks like a 7 if not an 8 with very good centering. Just my opinion.
  • Options
    You never bought one Shervebo. So you have no idea. Ive never had one returned, so they cant be that bad. I also sell hundreds of singles a month, with only 2 returns this year. So you really know nothing now do you.
  • Options
    BkritzBkritz Posts: 1,093 ✭✭
    I don't have a dog in this fight, but I have LOVED the raw lots that Gaspipe has provided me and would buy more in an instant! Just my two cents.

• Options
    It's been years since I have posted, but I am back for now. I have bought from gaspipe several times and have never had an issue graded or raw. I would certainly buy again.
  • Options
    CNoteCNote Posts: 2,070

<< <i>

<< <i>Why would Ebay take it down on your word? You cant tell for sure its a reprint. Maybe you should worry about you're items. >>

I hate being the English police, but the correct usage was "your", not "you're". "You're" is an abbreviation for "you are". You wouldn't say "Maybe you should worry about you are items." Stay class CU.... >>

Isn't it a contraction, not abbreviation?
  • Options
    SethroSethro Posts: 671 ✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

I hate being the English police, but the correct usage was "your", not "you're". "You're" is an abbreviation for "you are". You wouldn't say "Maybe you should worry about you are items." Stay class CU.... >>

Isn't it a contraction, not abbreviation? >>

Correctamundo!

Just out of curiosity, why pick on this guy? I am almost positive there are more people who use it incorrectly than correctly on this board.
    Positive transactions: Bighurt2000 - DavidPuddy - ShootyBabitt - Bosox1976 - LarryP - Captainthreeputt - Tedw9 - aconte -EAsports -Johnsteph10 -hhmag70 - depcs - TheThrill22 - scotgreb - longtimemetsfan - cadets68 - augustaman - mcholke - miconelegacy
  • Options
    So "you are " saying the English police needs an english lesson? Thats great