Home Metal Detecting

4/6/13 - 2 Silvers!

pcgs69pcgs69 Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭✭
Was visiting family in NJ this past week, and only got out a couple times. Went to an old faithful site and found a sterling silver band ring - about 6.5 grams. A lot of pull tabs there. Towards the end of the hunt a very faint signal appeared, after digging quite a bit, a "cookie coin" came out. The two coins from previous years that were "cookies" ended up being silver. There wasn't a doubt that this was a silver dime. Excited to get silver coin #2 for the year I got it home and start breaking the coating off. The lettering looked strange, and then it hit me like a ton of bricks...it was a 1959... Lincoln Cent. That was certainly the surprise of the day.

So, it's actually only one silver. Just wanted you to share the initial excitement too, haha.

(after realizing it was a lincoln cent, I didn't take time to focus)

Comments

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Any engraving on the ring?.... still a good day....Cheers, RickO
  • pcgs69pcgs69 Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭✭
    No engravings on the band. Just a "925" and a maker's mark. Certainly better than another pull tab...
  • ColinCMRColinCMR Posts: 1,482 ✭✭✭
    the ring looks cool like that
  • mrpaseomrpaseo Posts: 4,753 ✭✭✭
    Cool, nice finds. Let's see them when you clean them up.

Ray
  • Hey PCGS69,

Nice Find! I was hunting with my son today and in addition to finding 3 wheats, a few clads, and lot of junk, we found a ring with the same "925" stamped. Not knowing what that meant and seeing your post, I did a quick search to find that it means Sterling Silver, or 92.5% pure silver. This is only my 3rd ring I've found so this was good information for me anyway. image

Harry
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Silver rings are always a thrill to find.... If they have initials engraved it is interesting to try and find the owner.. Cheers, RickO
  • pcgs69pcgs69 Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Hey PCGS69,

Nice Find! I was hunting with my son today and in addition to finding 3 wheats, a few clads, and lot of junk, we found a ring with the same "925" stamped. Not knowing what that meant and seeing your post, I did a quick search to find that it means Sterling Silver, or 92.5% pure silver. This is only my 3rd ring I've found so this was good information for me anyway. image

Harry >>

Congrats on your sterling ring! Years ago, before learning what it meant, my dad had found a bangle bracelet that had an odd number. After learning 925 meant, we checked it and saw "925". It was a great feeling seeing that mark!
  • wfojonnywfojonny Posts: 234 ✭✭
    One ring to rule them all . . . . .