Home Precious Metals

Pjurchased some silver today, anyone else taking the plunge?

I decided to visit one of the local bullion dealers today, I wound up purchasing five 10 oz. NTR bars for $1.75 over spot and 40 generic 1 0z. silver rounds including a few A-mark and Prospectors for $1.95 over spot. Not sure how much further down this sell off takes us but ready to purchase more every dollar down.

Comments

• Jinx86Jinx86 Posts: 3,703 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Went to the same local dealer today and picked up 4 of the new Sunshine mint 10 oz bars with the thingy on back and a 10 oz 2012 kookarburra and a Canada 1/25 Gold proof.

Edit to add. One of these times well run into each other....
  • joefrojoefro Posts: 1,872 ✭✭

<< <i>I decided to visit one of the local bullion dealers today, I wound up purchasing five 10 oz. NTR bars for $1.75 over spot and 40 generic 1 0z. silver rounds including a few A-mark and Prospectors for $1.95 over spot. Not sure how much further down this sell off takes us but ready to purchase more every dollar down. >>

$1.75 over spot per oz? Or per 10 oz bar?
    Lincoln Cent & Libertad Collector
  • bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 10,136 ✭✭✭✭✭

Gold for me today I got 3 wedding bands and a half sovereignimage
  • mariner67mariner67 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭
    "$1.75 over spot per oz? Or per 10 oz bar? "

It would be shocking to be per 10oz bar.
    It would be per oz as usual I am assuming.

Edited for spelling on iPad!
    Successful trades/buys/sells with gdavis70, adriana, wondercoin, Weiss, nibanny, IrishMike, commoncents05, pf70collector, kyleknap, barefootjuan, coindeuce, WhiteTornado, Nefprollc, ajw, JamesM, PCcoins, slinc, coindudeonebay,beernuts, and many more
  • nibannynibanny Posts: 2,761
    I have been buying in the last three days. I feel like I am trying to catch a falling knife...image
    The member formerly known as Ciccio / Posts: 1453 / Joined: Apr 2009
  • CoulportCoulport Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭
    Bought 100 oz Mon.
    Bought 38 oz. today that includes 3 ozer. Swiss America.
    Show this weekend.
    The most money I made are on coins I haven't sold.

Got quoins?
  • mrpaseomrpaseo Posts: 4,753 ✭✭✭
    None, still waiting on delivery of my last purchase... Been a week now (www.goldmart.com). They have e-mailed me saying the received payment... still no delivery.
  • OPAOPA Posts: 17,118 ✭✭✭✭✭
    None..."The knife is still falling." What's the rush...PM's will still be there when the rebound eventually occurs.
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • UNLVinoUNLVino Posts: 416
    Bought a tube of Maples and 1/2 oz AGE from a fine member here because my fine state charges sales tax on "money". Going to pick up some generic rounds from B&M tomorrow as it doesn't count as money and thus no tax bullion. image
  • cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,968 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>None..."The knife is still falling." What's the rush...PM's will still be there when the rebound eventually occurs. >>

Yup. Right now the frequently used saying is "throwing good money after bad".
    Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

• AnkurJAnkurJ Posts: 11,370 ✭✭✭✭
    Im sitting tight.
    All coins kept in bank vaults.
    PCGS Registries
    Box of 20
    SeaEagleCoins: 11/14/54-4/5/12. Miss you Larry!
  • tneigtneig Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭
    Four, 10oz bars at $280 each.
    COA
  • mrpaseomrpaseo Posts: 4,753 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Four, 10oz bars at $280 each. >>

That's a good buy, I would have jumped on it too if the metal looked right.

• derrybderryb Posts: 36,635 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ordered silver eagles from tulving, 2.64 over spot.

"How many times can a man turn his head and pretend he just doesn’t see?” - Bob Dylan

• sumrtymsumrtym Posts: 394 ✭✭✭
    Bought a bit of 90% at 18x face today but if was buying for myself, I wouldn't be.
  • piecesofmepiecesofme Posts: 6,669 ✭✭✭
    B&M's really have some nerve charging anything over Spot, this week anyway. They should be grateful people are still coming in the door...but they're smart too lol.
    The customer is buying on the dip (smart) so the dealer will keep testing the water to see just what people will actually give (smart too). Gotta love the game. If you can't accept it, you should take yourself out of it.
    To forgive is to free a prisoner, and to discover that prisoner was you.
  • Of course I bought some yesterday.
  • DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,353 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dormant for the past month. Itchy itchy itchy trigger finger though...
    Surprised they can even sell when a big dip happens and not be losing money. Unless they are getting the 90% so cheaply or that day. I was surprised I got the 10oz bars for a great price, but I think because it was just that, 10oz bars. Usually when there is a big dip, the pawn shop can't follow the price down on ASEs.

<< <i>B&M's really have some nerve charging anything over Spot, this week anyway. They should be grateful people are still coming in the door...but they're smart too lol.
    The customer is buying on the dip (smart) so the dealer will keep testing the water to see just what people will actually give (smart too). Gotta love the game. If you can't accept it, you should take yourself out of it. >>

COA
  • PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,958 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good deal. What brand of bars?

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.
    "Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value---zero."----Voltaire
    "Everything you say should be true, but not everything true should be said."----Voltaire

I just bought two 100 oz Engelhard bars from Provident Metals. Since Engelhard stopped making bars in the late 1980's, these are secondary market bars. I just hope they aren't too beat up.image

"Everything you say should be true, but not everything true should be said."----Voltaire

• << <i>Dormant for the past month. Itchy itchy itchy trigger finger though... >>

+1. I'd like to see one or more of the 2013 5 oz bullion ATB's released soon.
  • BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 31,065 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>B&M's really have some nerve charging anything over Spot, this week anyway. They should be grateful people are still coming in the door...but they're smart too lol.
    The customer is buying on the dip (smart) so the dealer will keep testing the water to see just what people will actually give (smart too). Gotta love the game. If you can't accept it, you should take yourself out of it. >>

Do you expect them to sell at a loss? When gold drops $20 an ounce in a couple of hours do you think a new supply at the new lower price just magically appears at the front door?
    theknowitalltroll;
  • Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Still waiting, haven't pulled the
    trigger yet !!! image
    Timbuk3

• << <i>

<< <i>I decided to visit one of the local bullion dealers today, I wound up purchasing five 10 oz. NTR bars for $1.75 over spot and 40 generic 1 0z. silver rounds including a few A-mark and Prospectors for $1.95 over spot. Not sure how much further down this sell off takes us but ready to purchase more every dollar down. >>

$1.75 over spot per oz? Or per 10 oz bar? >>

Per 0z.

• << <i>

<< <i>None..."The knife is still falling." What's the rush...PM's will still be there when the rebound eventually occurs. >>

Yup. Right now the frequently used saying is "throwing good money after bad". >>

It sure seems that way, I got a patronage check from one of the co-ops for $3,500 and decided to stick some of it into silver.

I will be ready to purchase some more but at this point in time I am willing to wait for $25 silver before getting another 100 oz.
  • pragmaticgoatpragmaticgoat Posts: 841 ✭✭✭

<< <i>ordered silver eagles from tulving, 2.64 over spot. >>

ditto
    BST references:
    jdimmick;Gerard;wondercoin;claychaser;agentjim007;CCC2010;guitarwes;TAMU15;Zubie;mariner67;segoja;Smittys;kaz;CARDSANDCOINS;FadeToBlack;
    jrt103;tizofthe;bronze6827;mkman;Scootersdad;AllCoinsRule;coindeuce;dmarks;piecesofme; and many more
    Just the basics:
    A Sunshine, NTR, USofA, and Wall Street bar. I used coin cleaner on the sunshine and wall street items. You can see the camera reflection in them.
    Just silver.

<< <i>

Good deal. What brand of bars? >>

COA
    Very nice variety.image

• piecesofmepiecesofme Posts: 6,669 ✭✭✭
    Do you expect them to sell at a loss? When gold drops $20 an ounce in a couple of hours do you think a new supply at the new lower price just magically appears at the front door?

No, I expect them to adjust what they currently have at what the current market value is. I've heard the old "replacement cost" story, and it is a very old and tired line of an attempted sympathy grab.

ALL dealers buy on the cheap from the public, how do you think they stay in business for generations? If they can't adjust to what the market is doing when it's down but do when it's taking off, that's the pinnacle of hypocrisy in my book, and I then stay away from them B&M's and will not promote them when family & friends ask for places to buy.

Feel free to go about it as you choose, as do I.
    To forgive is to free a prisoner, and to discover that prisoner was you.
  • perkdogperkdog Posts: 30,241 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am still holding out hoping for $25
  • jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,676 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have to wait and see how much my contractor wants for some exterior painting and some interior drywall & electrical renovation before I think about my next batch of silver. Ugh, I'd really rather have the silver but it's time for maintenance.image
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 31,065 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Do you expect them to sell at a loss? When gold drops $20 an ounce in a couple of hours do you think a new supply at the new lower price just magically appears at the front door?

No, I expect them to adjust what they currently have at what the current market value is. I've heard the old "replacement cost" story, and it is a very old and tired line of an attempted sympathy grab.

ALL dealers buy on the cheap from the public, how do you think they stay in business for generations? If they can't adjust to what the market is doing when it's down but do when it's taking off, that's the pinnacle of hypocrisy in my book, and I then stay away from them B&M's and will not promote them when family & friends ask for places to buy.

Feel free to go about it as you choose, as do I. >>

I'm not a stacker, but in the few conversations I've had with my local dealer, when he buys from suppliers, he is subject to the same market swings as you and I would be. So if he orders a monster box of ASEs, he has to wait for them and pay for delivery like anyone else. I doubt that he can get a better price than the average non-dealer buying a like amount. Since he pays for them up front, he has to sell them based on what he has in them, not vs spot. If spot drops from the time he orders until he takes delivery, he has to charge a higher premium or sit on them. IIRC he pays better than average for stuff that walks in the door.
    theknowitalltroll;
  • PokermandudePokermandude Posts: 2,713 ✭✭✭
    I pulled the trigger on a couple decently sized purchases today. I still have some dry powder available since I'm not convinced we're quite at a bottom yet. Or at least there will be plenty of time to make purchases at around these levels as the summer slowdown starts.
    http://stores.ebay.ca/Mattscoin - Canadian coins, World Coins, Silver, Gold, Coin lots, Modern Mint Products & Collections
  • Pulled the trigger... 130oz total of nice silver bars and rounds...
    It's not the amount of money you spend.... It's the enjoyment you get spending it..

Successful BST transactions with -Youngcoin15, Ajbauman, Metalsman, carew4me, SportsModerator1, Ahrensdad, bstat1020, piecesofme , bigmarty58, Smittys, tydye,DRG ,Coll3ctor, Ciccio, cajun, Swampboy,Excalibur,lordmarcovan,themaster,RedHerring, many more!!!
  • Purchased six 10 oz. Acadamy stackers today for $272.30 each.
    Bought a couple of 100 oz NTR bars from Provident yesterday.

• OPAOPA Posts: 17,118 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Purchased six 10 oz. Acadamy stackers today for $272.30 each. >>

good price, but you're still trying catch a falling knife. Patience is the name of the game. Those bars will still be available when silver turns around.
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."

• << <i>

<< <i>Purchased six 10 oz. Acadamy stackers today for $272.30 each. >>

good price, but you're still trying catch a falling knife. Patience is the name of the game. Those bars will still be available when silver turns around. >>

As a silver bull I hate to agree with you but I believe you are correct. This is a vicious correction within a bull market yet to have a blowoff top and at one time thought it could possibly test $25 but hold there, now I'm not so sure. However I do believe that adding some silver to my stack in this price range will prove to be a good use of my funds when the final wave of the bull materializes.
  • Jinx86Jinx86 Posts: 3,703 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Picked up the two tens yesterday and was thinking of going in again today and spend my ebay sales profit on two more. Have decided to wait for mon-tues.
  • johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 28,106 ✭✭✭✭✭
    i got a dozen 1 ounce rounds and a 10 oz bar.
  • BaleyBaley Posts: 22,659 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is a vicious correction within a bull market yet to have a blowoff top

Some people might think that the blowoff top was in April 2011 with the screaming rise to $49 followed by lower highs and lower lows to the current bear market level nearly 50% lower than that peak, currently about $26 and possibly still falling. Previous support levels can become resistance levels, as people hope to cash out with some profit intact, or at least to break even. Now, if silver were to rise to $30, or $35, or $40, for each "Pjurchaser" there might be even more sellers.

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,657 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree, top has come and gone on this cycle

people still believe its going back to 40+ soon, I believe they are sadly mistaken, and several are going to lose a lot of $ chasing it down

If you want to keep score in dollars then maybe you will be down. I keep score in ounces and that number is increasing slow but steady.

If you are a trader of paper silver or a flipper of pretty coins on ebay then a big move down might be painful but I just get more silver for the same paper if prices drop.

I am looking 10 and 20 years ahead . Inflation is running at least 5% a year according to many(outside the fed).

I don't buy silver to make money to pay bills , I have a job for that.

I just plan to add to my pile weekly and then sell a little here and there so I can afford to eat canned cat food instead of the dry stuff when I wake and find my so called retirement money has been stolen by my government.

This week I bought a l stack of Aussie florins and shillings , a 5 peseta baby head , and 2 more wedding bands. If I keep buying rings maybe when I retire I can get ordained and setup a full service wedding chapel image
  • cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,968 ✭✭✭✭✭
    2 more wedding bands. If I keep buying rings maybe when I retire I can get ordained and setup a full service wedding chapel

LOL. I also like to buy nice gold jewelry from local dealers. It usually trades at a consistent level to spot and can often be sold retail at a premium. And sometimes the wife and borrow a few pieces from the stack.
    Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

I'm not the type to bang my head against a wall. Some wives girlfriends etc. might think buying gold coins is a waste of money yet they are ok with jewelry .

I've settled on plain rings in 14k in various sizes as the most potential liquid. I don't like link bracelets or chains . Coin jewelry brooches and earrings pendants etc. and coins removed from jewelry are also a favorite of mine. When I make the rounds locally everyone has stuff set aside for me and usually I have no competition for that pile.

I 'll let the other stackers load up on premiums , I load up on metal. image
  • AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,723 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Picked up 7 grams of gold in the form of dental crowns.
    No silver this week.

bobimage
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • derrybderryb Posts: 36,635 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ordered some more ASEs, and then the price dipped further. silver moves up and down - always has, always will. we celebrate the ups and we get scolded by the naysayers on the downs. All part of the game. believers, stack on, time is your friend.

"How many times can a man turn his head and pretend he just doesn’t see?” - Bob Dylan

All I can do is buy on credit right now. I'm tempted.
    COA
  • WingsruleWingsrule Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭✭
    LCS tomorrow. I'm guessing generic 1 ozers @ $28-29 (if there is any), 10 ozers for $280-295, and ASEs at $31. And of course, some of the same coins that have been in the same cases since 2009.