Home Sports Talk
Options

Mike Rice of Rutgers

jdip9jdip9 Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭
I can't believe the Rutgers AD is even thinking about whether or not this guy should keep his job. I'll be shocked if this guy ever coaches college basketball again.

Video

Comments

• Options
    Criminal charges might be in this guys future, not just the unemployment line. This is the first I have seen the viseo, though I heard about it all day. I am waiting for someones dad to beat the living %^$ out of this guy, its going to happen.
    Looking for 1950 Bowman football PSA 7's
  • Options
    lbcoach20lbcoach20 Posts: 868 ✭✭✭
    Guy is a tool and deserves everything coming his way.
  • Options
    You Gents better be from north koria to complain about reality in America. You should actually move there. Your old school views need to get with, at least, the 2000's. It is sad some of you think that was abusing anyone. You are exactly why America is being overtaken. What Rice did fits this time. He hurt no one. Proper use of slurs. The kids he 'talked' too there do far worse and he actually limited it. Then people like you fall for the 'million dollar' leave. It is your old school mind set that will indeed allow NK to hit us. Get with the times. Mike Rice was doing his job properly, ya wimps.
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>It is your old school mind set >>

Not sure old school will ever be "out" of style.

I fought in Vietnam - was an infantry officer - spent my entire life in the military - retired in 1997.

I hardly consider myself a wimp.

Good leadership is having the ability to "influence" others to perform their job/mission. It's rare that people are inspired by coercion - whether it be mental or physical.

I do share your sentiment about the US losing it's backbone. But, I think that's more a function of succumbing to liberal PC e.g.

Also - while I always respect dissenting comments and POVs - why do feel compelled to ridiculing others for their position?

<< <i>The kids he 'talked' too there do far worse and he actually limited it. >>

It's my position that what "some" would do off the court has absolutely no relevance to how a coach treats his students.

Last - you want "us" to get with the 21st century? Let's hope that the new millennium brings peace and a true sense of mutual respect for one and all.
    Mike
  • Options
    DoubleEagle59DoubleEagle59 Posts: 8,200 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>You Gents better be from north koria to complain about reality in America. You should actually move there. Your old school views need to get with, at least, the 2000's. It is sad some of you think that was abusing anyone. You are exactly why America is being overtaken. What Rice did fits this time. He hurt no one. Proper use of slurs. The kids he 'talked' too there do far worse and he actually limited it. Then people like you fall for the 'million dollar' leave. It is your old school mind set that will indeed allow NK to hit us. Get with the times. Mike Rice was doing his job properly, ya wimps. >>

I'm glad you're not the one with your finger on the button...God help us all then.

Sorry, but your response is totally clueless.

There's other ways to build toughness in a young person than yours.
    "Gold is money, and nothing else" (JP Morgan, 1912)

"“Those who sacrifice liberty for security/safety deserve neither.“(Benjamin Franklin)

"I only golf on days that end in 'Y'" (DE59)
  • Options

<< <i>You Gents better be from north koria to complain about reality in America. You should actually move there. Your old school views need to get with, at least, the 2000's. It is sad some of you think that was abusing anyone. You are exactly why America is being overtaken. What Rice did fits this time. He hurt no one. Proper use of slurs. The kids he 'talked' too there do far worse and he actually limited it. Then people like you fall for the 'million dollar' leave. It is your old school mind set that will indeed allow NK to hit us. Get with the times. Mike Rice was doing his job properly, ya wimps. >>

You are an idiot. Your telling me its ok to throw a ball at a kids head ad kick him? Its not! What Rice did does not "fit the times" nor does calling someone slurs. Parents these days cant even spank their own kids but yet what Rice did was ok? Dont tell me the kids do worse, I dont give a damn. Rice is a coach/mentor/adult authority figure, someone who should be setting examples. So go back to playing your video games little boy.
  • Options
    BrickBrick Posts: 4,938 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The coach was out of line. I would not want my kids playing for him. I do agree though that in this PC climate the reaction to his actions are overblown.
    Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• Options
    I'll assume houser was being sarcastic, and leave it at that.

There are dozens of reasons why the U.S. as a nation is slowly circling the drain. Intolerance of lunatics like Mike Rice is not one of them.
  • Options

imageimageimageimageimage
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Can Rutgers decline to join the Big Ten now?

Or can the Big Ten take the offensive here and just revoke the acceptance of Rutgers to join the conference?

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    swartz1swartz1 Posts: 4,911 ✭✭✭
    The AD was most likely looking out for the best interest of the school (at the time) and now this...

ugh...

Looking for 1970 MLB Photostamps
    - uncut

Positive Transactions - tennesseebanker, Ahmanfan, Donruss, Colebear, CDsNuts, rbdjr1, Downtown1974, yankeeno7, drewsef, mnolan, mrbud60, msassin, RipublicaninMass, AkbarClone, rustywilly, lsutigers1973, julen23 and nam812, plus many others...
  • Options
    EstilEstil Posts: 6,922 ✭✭✭✭

I'm guessing when you skipped school it was spelling/grammar/geography (where is this "north koria" you speak of?) classes right? image
    WISHLIST
    Dimes: 54S, 53P, 50P, 49S, 45D+S, 44S, 43D, 41S, 40D+S, 39D+S, 38D+S, 37D+S, 36S, 35D+S, all 16-34's
    Quarters: 52S, 47S, 46S, 40S, 39S, 38S, 37D+S, 36D+S, 35D, 34D, 32D+S
    74 Topps: 37,38,46,47,48,138,151,193,210,214,223,241,256,264,268,277,289,316,435,552,570,577,592,602,610,654,655
    1997 Finest silver: 115, 135, 139, 145, 310
    1995 Ultra Gold Medallion Sets: Golden Prospects, HR Kings, On-Base Leaders, Power Plus, RBI Kings, Rising Stars
  • Options
    PowderedH2OPowderedH2O Posts: 2,443 ✭✭
    I'm surprised that the Big Ten didn't insist that Rutgers KEEP Mike Rice. After all, some of the most celebrated coaches in Big Ten history have been known for similar antics with student athletes (see Bob Knight and Woody Hayes, for example).
    Successful dealings with shootybabitt, LarryP, Doctor K, thedutymon, billsgridirongreats, fattymacs, shagrotn77, pclpads, JMDVM, gumbyfan, itzagoner, rexvos, al032184, gregm13, californiacards3, mccardguy1, BigDaddyBowman, bigreddog, bobbyw8469, burke23, detroitfan2, drewsef, jeff8877, markmac, Goldlabels, swartz1, blee1, EarlsWorld, gseaman25, kcballboy, jimrad, leadoff4, weinhold, Mphilking, milbroco, msassin, meteoriteguy, rbeaton and gameusedhoop.
  • Options

<< <i>

I'm guessing when you skipped school it was spelling/grammar/geography (where is this "north koria" you speak of?) classes right? image >>

Its funny how he has not shown his face on here since his well thought out rant. Also noticed he dont have his PM's turned on.
  • Options
    GRGR Posts: 550 ✭✭
    Hearing about Korea makes me wish i was a preper...are they living in thiere bunkers now that the nuclear threats arrised? anybody know
    Nathan Wagner
  • Options
    stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭

<< <i>There's no place anywhere where throwing a basketball at someone's head is acceptable. If the coach seriously injured a player, he could have been facing jail time and the university would be sued. >>

Are you aware of any incidents in which someone was seriously injured by a basketball? Not playing basketball, but said injury was due to being hit by the ball. The only thing I could even imagine would be breaking a nose if it hit just right. They hurt like heck but I certainly wouldn't consider it "serious".

edited to add: I don't condone Rice's actions but do believe firing him was over the top. It's a physical sport and there are times young adults (we're talking about college age students, not pre-schoolers) need to toughen up. Did he cross the line? Perhaps, but we're only seeing around 0.000001% of their practice tapes.

Now if he strangled a student or threw a haymaker, well, that's a totally different situation.
    So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>edited to add: I don't condone Rice's actions but do believe firing him was over the top. It's a physical sport and there are times young adults (we're talking about college age students, not pre-schoolers) need to toughen up. Did he cross the line? Perhaps, but we're only seeing around 0.000001% of their practice tapes.

Now if he strangled a student or threw a haymaker, well, that's a totally different situation. >>

He also shoved/knocked down a player from behind who had absolutely no idea it was coming. That DEFINITELY could lead to serious injury.

I am astounded that anyone would think what Rice did was NOT a fireable offense. Kicking players. Shoving them blindly from behind. Firing basketballs at their heads when their head is turned. Using hompohobic slurs. ALL of those things are fireable offenses. Would you tolerate a math professor firing a textbook at a kid's head and then calling him a "f---ing f----t"? No? How about a Geology prof telling a 14-year old kid wearing flip flops on a science day that "only f----ts wear flip flops", like Rice did at a basketball camp? No? That wouldn't be OK?

If the stuff Rice did was NOT worthy of him being fired, exactly what would the line be? Since physical assault, using weapons, has already been deemed OK by you (or, at least, not worthy of being fired) and using homophobic slurs also is not worthy of being fired, what would it take?
  • Options
    stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Since physical assault, using weapons, has already been deemed OK by you (or, at least, not worthy of being fired) and using homophobic slurs also is not worthy of being fired, what would it take? >>

Guess we have differing opinions that Rice used physical assault, weapons, and homophobic slurs.

Again, for the record, we're not talking about 14-year olds. If this was in a Jr HS setting, then I would completely agree but it's not.

edited to add: To reiterate, I do not condone what Rice did and his aggressiveness was not appropriate. There are shades of gray when it comes to perceived "physical assault", just like not all 10s are created the same.

Finally, since this thread could potentially get political-like, I'm going to pass and that's all I have to say about that.
    So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Options

<< <i>Guess we have differing opinions that Rice used physical assault, weapons, and homophobic slurs. >>

He kicked his players. That's assault. There's no "differing opinion" on it - that's what it is. So is knocking a guy down from behind.

A thrown basketball is a weapon. Again, there's no "differing opinion" on it. You might not consider a basketball a serious weapon or whatever but it's most definitely a weapon.

And if you don't consider the phrase "f---ing f----t" a homophobic slur, what would you call it?

<< <i>Again, for the record, we're not talking about 14-year olds. If this was in a Jr HS setting, then I would completely agree but it's not. >>

All of the stuff he did is against the Rutgers Code of Conduct. Just FYI.

<< <i>edited to add: To reiterate, I do not condone what Rice did and his aggressiveness was not appropriate. There are shades of gray when it comes to perceived "physical assault", just like not all 10s are created the same. >>

Well, that's why I asked what you would consider to be fireable. I also notice that you ignored the part about a math professor firing a textbook at somebody's head. And, hey, since we're talking about public employees, how about if other public employees just started randomly throwing stuff at their underlings? If your answer is a variation of "but this is different since it's basketball" then you, in fact, agree with me. If Rice's actions would be fireable in another supervisor/underling context - can you imagine a university president screaming "You're a f---ing f----t" at his secretary because he mistyped something? - then you're agreeing they're fireable here.

It's also worth noting that the video we've seen on ESPN is about 30-40 seconds long and contains 6-8 different incidents, just in that short time. The video that Murdock turned into Rutgers was over 30 minutes long. It's safe to say we're talking about dozens upon dozens of incidents.
  • Options
    prthd suggested I apologize here for the above post. I apologize.

Mike Rice though should now do the Speaking Engagement circuit at all colleges advising the coaches how to do their jobs.
  • Options
    well said Tabe.
  • Options
    Mickey71Mickey71 Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭✭
    He seems like a great wrestling coach....except we're talking about basketball. What I saw was an insult to college sports and youth. Not to mention academic institutions.
  • Options
    1985fan1985fan Posts: 1,952 ✭✭
    Coach should have been fired, period, and the fact it took so long is an outrage.

The people defending him are obviously the same people who watch Hannity on Fox News who is also defending him. There is no place for this type of 'coaching', at any level, anywhere. It's not 'toughening' the kids up, it's not making them 'men', it's not 'old school'. It was assault, multiple times, and if I were those kids I'd be filing charges against him and the university for allowing it to happen.

But you want to talk 'old school'? Talk about John Wooden. Arguably the most successful men's college basketball coach of all time. He never so much as swore and yet was able to win 10 national titles. Rice was out of line, in each and every one of the incidents shown on that video. Shoving players in the back, hurling basketballs at them.

Final thought: if these tactics were successful in building these players into better ones, and this coach was so good in this approach, why was he 6 games under .500 in 2 years? Oh wait don't tell me - it's because these tactics are the OPPOSITE of meaningful and successful.

Good riddance to bad rubbish. This 'coach' should never be allowed to coach kids again.
  • Options

<< <i>
    edited to add: To reiterate, I do not condone what Rice did and his aggressiveness was not appropriate. There are shades of gray when it comes to perceived "physical assault", just like not all 10s are created the same.

>>

Definition of assault:

"Law. an unlawful physical attack upon another; an attempt or offer to do violence to another, with or without battery, as by holding a stone or club in a threatening manner. "

There's no shades of gray when it comes to perceived physical assault.

The legal definition is even clearer:

"An assault is carried out by a threat of bodily harm coupled with an apparent, present ability to cause the harm."

The coach showed both thread and ability to cause harm. That, fellas, is assault, and comparing it grading baseball cards is as ridiculous a thing as I've heard in a while.
  • Options

<< <i>But you want to talk 'old school'? Talk about John Wooden. Arguably the most successful men's college basketball coach of all time. He never so much as swore and yet was able to win 10 national titles. >>

He did it by turning a blind eye to rampant cheating and his players getting paid. Bobby Knight - granted, no saint himself - considered him a hypocrite of the highest order and hated him for being a phony.
  • Options
    EstilEstil Posts: 6,922 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Coach should have been fired, period, and the fact it took so long is an outrage.

The people defending him are obviously the same people who watch Hannity on Fox News who is also defending him. >>

Dude, I am one of those "same people who watch Hannity on Fox News" and I most definitely have no use for a coach who behaves like he did. So maybe you'd better think before you smear such blatant stereotypes.
    WISHLIST
    Dimes: 54S, 53P, 50P, 49S, 45D+S, 44S, 43D, 41S, 40D+S, 39D+S, 38D+S, 37D+S, 36S, 35D+S, all 16-34's
    Quarters: 52S, 47S, 46S, 40S, 39S, 38S, 37D+S, 36D+S, 35D, 34D, 32D+S
    74 Topps: 37,38,46,47,48,138,151,193,210,214,223,241,256,264,268,277,289,316,435,552,570,577,592,602,610,654,655
    1997 Finest silver: 115, 135, 139, 145, 310
    1995 Ultra Gold Medallion Sets: Golden Prospects, HR Kings, On-Base Leaders, Power Plus, RBI Kings, Rising Stars
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Coach should have been fired, period, and the fact it took so long is an outrage.

The people defending him are obviously the same people who watch Hannity on Fox News who is also defending him. >>

Dude, I am one of those "same people who watch Hannity on Fox News" and I most definitely have no use for a coach who behaves like he did. So maybe you'd better think before you smear such blatant stereotypes. >>

No stereotype meant. Hannity was defending this 'coach', I just used poor wording in conveying my thought.