Home Metal Detecting
Options

Finally able to get out: 1st Copper (I guess) and 1st silver of 2013

pcgs69pcgs69 Posts: 4,263 ✭✭✭✭
With the weather in the 40s this weekend, it was worth a shot to finally get out. Although the ground is still (partially) frozen in most areas more than 4 inches down, most targets were reachable.

Yesterday hit the old faithful field that's yielded some 1700s coins in the past (and the 1690s William coin). As expected it was slow going, and managed a tombac button (not pictured), and some kind of coin. Possible some kind of British halfpenny, or maybe another William coin? But it's completely toast, unfortunately. No detail whatsoever. Nice to find, but disappointing at the same time.

Got out today to a nearby park. This place was still frozen about 2 to 3 inches deep. Ended up being there a half hour due to the ground conditions. Was too hard to dig signals. But about 5 minutes in I got a good signal. After 3 or 4 minutes of chipping ice, a small silver coin appeared. Took a pic of it in the frozen ground. Turns out to be an 1880 Canada 5 cent coin (my first silver Canada 5 cent!). Surprised it didn't get mangled. Not a bad start to 2013! Glad to see some others are getting out as well. HH all!

BTW, don't you judge me for hitting up McDonalds!

zoomed in

Comments

• Options
    kevinstangkevinstang Posts: 1,517 ✭✭✭
    Your right that is some kind of slug...but the 5c looks pretty nice
  • Options
    Nice early fish scale!! Those are a tough find even in Canada!
    Analog Rules! Knobs and Switches are cool!
    imageimage
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great... even chipping through ice.... nice find. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,515 ✭✭✭✭✭
    nice digs. silver of any type is good. i dont know what to say about the copper there thou.
  • Options
    Nice finds!
    I lust for silver.
    imageimageimageimage
  • Options
    Well, we can narrow the copper down to: British halfpenny 1672-1775 (Charles II to George III); American or British counterfeit halfpenny (c. 1750 to 1790); or State copper 1785-87
  • Options
    pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,748 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Boom Baby!!!!!!!!!!!!image If you were really serious about getting that silver out of frozen ground you could take a lesson from these boys and get you some 50 gal drums and get fires going in them to melt the iceimage
  • Options
    pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,748 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I guess your find was your answer to the thread if anyone finds Canadian silverimage
  • Options
    pcgs69pcgs69 Posts: 4,263 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Boom Baby!!!!!!!!!!!!image If you were really serious about getting that silver out of frozen ground you could take a lesson from these boys and get you some 50 gal drums and get fires going in them to melt the iceimage >>

Haha. Maybe we should break out the flamethrowers! Or we can just get the drums and make some s'mores while the ground is thawing. But an excavator would work too.

Thanks coachbedford! At least it's something old. It's a bummer there is no detail left.
  • Options
    ColinCMRColinCMR Posts: 1,482 ✭✭✭
    The Canada 5c looks really nice