Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

A guy walks into a local coin store and says...

Customer: I have $400 in silver for sale, how much are you paying?

Dealer: $15.50 per dollar

Customer: A guy on Craigslist is offering $21.00 per dollar?

Dealer: Be careful! People on Craigslist are crooks!

WANTED: Cincinnati Reds TEAM Cards

Comments

• Options
    savoyspecialsavoyspecial Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭
    fixed it for ya:

>>Customer: I have $400 in silver for sale, how much are you paying?

Dealer: Be careful! People on Craigslist might kill you>>

Regardless of what you think of his (her?) offer, the fact remains that conducting transactions in the comfort of a safe B&M does offer some protection

www.brunkauctions.com

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,423 ✭✭✭✭✭
    How dangerous is a Craig's List transaction if it's conducted at your bank or some other very public location?

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    (Seinfeld)

"They can't shoot us in the city."
    "Naah, no one's ever been shot in the city."
    - George and Jerry, in "The Limo"

www.brunkauctions.com

• Options
    Also, this

www.brunkauctions.com

• Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Customer: I have $400 in silver for sale, how much are you paying?

image >>

Yup. Your local dealer already demonstrated to you who the crook was.
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    >>Yup. Your local dealer already demonstrated to you who the crook was.>>

It seems to make this leap we are missing a key component.....that being what this dealer in questions SELLS the same for......maybe he sells at 17x FV......Would that change things for you?

www.brunkauctions.com

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Amazing.... step right up folks, choose your scam artist, plenty to pick from....Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Customer: I have $400 in silver for sale, how much are you paying?

image >>

Yup. Your local dealer already demonstrated to you who the crook was. >>

• Options
    dbcoindbcoin Posts: 2,200 ✭✭
    edit. I misread coinflation
  • Options
    llafoellafoe Posts: 7,220 ✭✭

<< <i>>>Yup. Your local dealer already demonstrated to you who the crook was.>>

It seems to make this leap we are missing a key component.....that being what this dealer in questions SELLS the same for......maybe he sells at 17x FV......Would that change things for you? >>

He actually told the client he buys at $15.50 and wholesales the silver to dealers for $21.00. The guy on Craigslist must have been one of his wholesale dealers?
  • Options
    >>He actually told the client he buys at $15.50 and wholesales the silver to dealers for $21.00. The guy on Craigslist must have been one of his wholesale dealers?>>

Perhaps you are right.....Now, if the Craigslist guy sells at 28x FV (with no overhead, I might add) then is he back to being the "bad guy" in this story and not the hero? I'm confused...

www.brunkauctions.com

• Options

<< <i>considering that coinflation says the spot rate is 18.72X, 15X is not terrible. Maybe with a nice smile, the guy could have got the dealer up to 16.5X, which considering the convenience is not bad. >>

You're reading the clad values. image
  • Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,623 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The guy can either take my offer or walk. What somebody else offered him I could care less. He can go sell it to them.

I would be curious what the $400 in silver consisted of: junk silver or nice stuff. A shop near me offers 80% of melt on junk silver.

Shops make their money buying it right then selling it retail in the shop or at bid to other dealers at a show. A guy I know who operates a shop quickly weeds out the people walking in who he can't do business with profitably, especially when there is a lot of high customer traffic.
    So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • Options

<< <i>>>He actually told the client he buys at $15.50 and wholesales the silver to dealers for $21.00. The guy on Craigslist must have been one of his wholesale dealers?>>

Perhaps you are right.....Now, if the Craigslist guy sells at 28x FV (with no overhead, I might add) then is he back to being the "bad guy" in this story and not the hero? I'm confused... >>

Current silver value is $20.46 for dimes, quarters and halves and $21.87 for dollars.

...and yes, you're confused. image
  • Options
    >>...and yes, you're confused>>

Actually, I was the one who made the "confused" comment above (a different member misquoted from coinflation)

www.brunkauctions.com

• Options

<< <i>>>...and yes, you're confused>>

Actually, I was the one who made the "confused" comment above (a different member misquoted from coinflation) >>

Great, now I'M confused... image
  • Options
    jedmjedm Posts: 2,940 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome back lafoe! Thing just weren't confused enough here while you were away. image
  • Options
    keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,456 ✭✭✭✭✭
    To me, one that has sold plenty of silver for melt, I would say the dealer was the one that was a crook in this situation. I recall walking a very small coin show(25 tables give or take) to sell melt a couple of years ago and there were multiple dealers buying melt. The range was 19x face to 24x face IIRC...it was a 5x spread for sure! Who do you think I sold my melt to?

Granted, I doubt I would be selling via a Craig's List ad in a dark back alley but geez...any safe place would do.
    "If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • Options
    There is a dealer who owns a B&M in south central PA who pays 98% on everything from coins to scrap!! When you go there its always a long line but well worth the wait. This dealer is the ONLY person I know that pays that. I asked him one time if he knew what other dealers were paying compared to him and his responce was " I treat people the way I wanna be treated" and if you think about it its true. He has a ton of material in his shop also. When you drive by it you would never think hes a coin dealer except for the sign that says "buying gold and silver"

If anyone wants his contact info and is local PM me and I will get it to you. He does not buy over the phone or threw the mail. Face to face only.....

I had a bunch of star treck shields in silver that I got a long time ago. I could not sell them on ebay or in person. I took them to this guy and he bought them for his own collection for more then the melt. This is one of the only dealers I told my wife to take my items to in case of death and or emergency because I know he is fair. It ammazes me how much one dealer will rob you blind and another will treat you like you have been a customer of theres for years.
  • Options
    Wabbit2313Wabbit2313 Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

If you go to YP.com, it is a good starting indicator about your coin dealer. Many times correct, like the one near me, has 1 star and that is because you can't rate it lower. Now in MN, there is Yellow River Rare Coins, and almost a solid 5 stars. I have been there and they are great!

There is a common theme. Condescending attitudes and "YOUR NOT A MEMBER OF OUR County Club" types fair badly. You don't need to go to YP.com to find them either!!!! image
  • Options
    NewEnglandNotesNewEnglandNotes Posts: 260 ✭✭✭

<< <i>How dangerous is a Craig's List transaction if it's conducted at your bank or some other very public location? >>

I have never had any problems with it, but use common sense and take the "long way home" to avoid any unplanned visits later on.
  • Options
    s4nys4ny Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭
    Melt on 90% silver 10c, 25c, and 50c coins is 20.45 x face.
    Very worn culls are worth less, obviously.

I have bought and sold on Craigs including some silver last week. I did a $19,000 gold sale
    at the buyers bank last year and got a cashier's check from him to me.

I have met other buyers and sellers in bank lobbies, at bookstores and at libraries.
  • Options
    ShortgapbobShortgapbob Posts: 2,332 ✭✭✭
    A bit off topic, but keep in mind when referencing coin "melt" that 90% can at times trade at a premium or a discount to silver melt value. Presently, coin silver is trading at a premium to melt value, but it sometimes trades at a discount to melt.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." -- Aristotle

For a large selection of U.S. Coins & Currency, visit The Reeded Edge's online webstore at the link below.

The Reeded Edge
  • Options
    Ah Robbie, not so fast! As you know this board can only abide persons buying and selling at exactly melt.....The spread is not that great, but sellers can make it up in quantity

www.brunkauctions.com

• Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,294 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sellers on these boards seem to always lump everything together......if a post is about a bad seller (a ripoff person), then they swarm to defend sellers....give any excuse they can think of to defend the actions mentioned, even though they weren't there and don't have 1st-hand knowledge.

I look at it this way.....there are bad sellers AND there are good sellers. Each case is one of its own.
    Just like there are bad buyers (jerks and people trying to trick/ripoff sellers) and good buyers.

I wish people would stop lumping them together and trying to defend every seller's actions.

This thread appears to be about 1 seller and only 1 person, from what it seems, was there in person.....everyone else just wants to defend sellers or have fun in an attack/dogpile.

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    coindeucecoindeuce Posts: 13,471 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What ShortgapBob stated. Too many of you are Koolaid drinkers who have no clue about market dynamics. Any entity can offer whatever price they feel suits the market they make whether as a seller or buyer. That is why it is called a free market. Anyone(sellers/buyers) and everyone(sellers/buyers) is/are FREE to make choices. The free market doesn't statically exist for the convenience of anyone. It exists dynamically when multiple parties choose to make a mutual agreement.

And words of wisdom(?) from GBurger717: " It ammazes(sic) me how much one dealer will rob you blind and another will treat you like you have been a customer of theres for years." So in GBurger717's way of viewing dealers, every dealer should provide the exact same market (pay exactly the same for like kind) in order to be fair to him. Got it. image

Edited for grammer. Um, grahmer. Wait, grammar...image

"Everything is on its way to somewhere. Everything." - George Malley, Phenomenon
    http://www.americanlegacycoins.com

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,842 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    Bayard1908Bayard1908 Posts: 3,982 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Any entity can offer whatever price they feel suits the market they make whether as a seller or buyer. That is why it is called a free market. Anyone(sellers/buyers) and everyone(sellers/buyers) is/are FREE to make choices. The free market doesn't statically exist for the convenience of anyone. It exists dynamically when multiple parties choose to make a mutual agreement. >>

This is false and puerile. Silver is a commodity. Commodities have established market prices. Buyers seeking to purchase commodities for significantly below the established market price are engaging in predatory behavior, not free market competition.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Any entity can offer whatever price they feel suits the market they make whether as a seller or buyer. That is why it is called a free market. Anyone(sellers/buyers) and everyone(sellers/buyers) is/are FREE to make choices. The free market doesn't statically exist for the convenience of anyone. It exists dynamically when multiple parties choose to make a mutual agreement. >>

This is false and puerile. Silver is a commodity. Commodities have established market prices. Buyers seeking to purchase commodities for significantly below the established market price are engaging in predatory behavior, not free market competition. >>

Established market prices are NOT regulated prices. I suppose you will tell me now that Government regulation should be in place for the protection of those who aren't smart enough or sensible enough to make their own choices about what someone else offers to buy a commodity for because only Government is wise enough to protect the people from themselves. The OP was labeling by inference that the dealer was a crook by default because of a hearsay claim by a customer who freely entered his establishment. Nice try.

"Everything is on its way to somewhere. Everything." - George Malley, Phenomenon

• Options
    daOnlyBGdaOnlyBG Posts: 1,060 ✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>How dangerous is a Craig's List transaction if it's conducted at your bank or some other very public location? >>

I have never had any problems with it, but use common sense and take the "long way home" to avoid any unplanned visits later on. >>

+1. I've made countless of CL transactions. Most of them happened at my dad's jewelry store, which is in a mall, and guarded with many cameras. I've also made them at a bank, police station, university building... anywhere that has an armed guard. Never had any problems. You'll find that most CL deals that end badly are poorly thought out-- the deal is set up to be at a house, at a restaurant, a parking lot... common sense goes a long way; too bad "common sense" has become an oxymoron these days
    Successful BST transactions with: blu62vette, Shortgapbob, Dolan, valente151, cucamongacoin, ajaan

Interests:
    Pre-Jump Grade Project
    Toned Commemoratives
  • Options
    daOnlyBGdaOnlyBG Posts: 1,060 ✭✭

<< <i>

This is false and puerile. Silver is a commodity. Commodities have established market prices. Buyers seeking to purchase commodities for significantly below the established market price are engaging in predatory behavior, not free market competition. >>

No, not really.
    It's predatory behavior when the seller is actively lying to the seller, falsely telling he/she what the PM spot price is, or falsely telling them what their product is worth. It's one thing to say "Well, I pay $15/oz" and another thing to say "Your coin isn't worth more than $14."
    The former is simply free market dynamic. "Hey, I'm willing to purchase your silver at $15/oz." What the real value of the silver is up to the seller (in this case, the customer) to know. No one likes having to sell their stuff to the dealer at a deep discount, but if they want the convenience of getting cash quickly on the spot, the dealer has overhead costs to fulfill that service. When a dealer says that he wants to buy at $15/oz, he's claiming his position on the supply and demand graph. And you know what? The owner of the silver doesn't have to sell it at $15/oz. He can go home and sit on it. This is basic econ 101.

By the way- commodities have established MARKET prices. MARKETS are comprised of people like the customer and seller. THEY form the prices- not the other way around. If holding a price of PM was to be constant, and any deviance would be considered "predatory behavior," then not only would the price of PM never change, but the government would be completely justified in keeping the PM prices constant via law. We all know how that turned out.
    Successful BST transactions with: blu62vette, Shortgapbob, Dolan, valente151, cucamongacoin, ajaan

Interests:
    Pre-Jump Grade Project
    Toned Commemoratives
  • Options

<< <i>The OP was labeling by inference that the dealer was a crook by default because of a hearsay claim by a customer who freely entered his establishment. >>

Actually, as the OP, I can assure you I wasn't labeling the dealer a crook by inference. I found it a little manipulative for the dealer to tell his customer to be careful of people on Craigslist since they're all crooks. I truly don't believe the dealer to be a crook. He was honest in telling the customer that he turns around and sells the coins he pays them $15.50 for to a dealer(s) for $21.00. His honesty probably sealed the deal for the customer to sell his coins to the person on Craigslist for $21.00. The dealer was honest and I found his offer to be quite low... but the customer was smart enough not to throw-away $2,200 by selling his coins to the dealer.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

Established market prices are NOT regulated prices. I suppose you will tell me now that Government regulation should be in place for the protection of those who aren't smart enough or sensible enough to make their own choices about what someone else offers to buy a commodity for because only Government is wise enough to protect the people from themselves. The OP was labeling by inference that the dealer was a crook by default because of a hearsay claim by a customer who freely entered his establishment. Nice try. >>

I don't know where you came up with the bizarre scope shift and straw man regarding regulation. That's usually the tactic of someone with an indefensible position.

The dealer mentioned by the OP is a crook, not in the sense that he has committed an actual crime, but in the sense that he is engaging in predatory behavior with respect to a commodity with an established market price. The dealer mentioned by the OP is not a market maker, otherwise he would be paying the market price, instead he is a lowballing parasite.
  • Options

<< <i>When a dealer says that he wants to buy at $15/oz, he's claiming his position on the supply and demand graph. And you know what? The owner of the silver doesn't have to sell it at $15/oz. He can go home and sit on it. This is basic econ 101. >>

I don't think you paid attention in econ 101. There is an equilibrium price for commodities. Everyone selling commodities is considered to be a price taker, at the market price.

What you're describing is a market inefficiency, i.e., predatory behavior by the dealer in offering below the market price. This is not free market economics no matter how much you want to bluster about it.
  • Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,943 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The dealer mentioned by the OP is not a market maker, otherwise he would be paying the market price, instead he is a lowballing parasite.

The guy is trying to make 30-35% on his investment. That's not competitive, but "lowballing parasite" is too harsh.

Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    "instead he is a lowballing parasite" It has already been clearly established that the dealer did not even make the purchase. So your claim is merely stereotypical discrimination. You haven't even offered a specific, concrete definition of what entity constitutes an established market price, other than implying that if it doesn't meet your standard then it must be wrong and criminal. What is your guideline?

• Options
    How is saying "I will pay X for Y" not "free market economics"?
  • Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,698 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The inadvertent humor in the OP is much better without all the detailed analysis.
  • Options
    coinguy1989coinguy1989 Posts: 1,056 ✭✭

Do you want strangers in your town or a nearby town to know that you collect and/or buy coins? There is a risk of someone following you and robbing you. Even if they don't follow you immediately, what are the odds that you could run into each other on another day when you are not expecting to be followed and robbed? They are too high for me; no thanks. Place the coins on eBay and conduct the transactions by mail through a P.O. Box.
  • Options
    rec78rec78 Posts: 5,689 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Some dealers need more profit margin than others to stay afloat. The dealer can offer anything he wants for bullion, the seller does not have to sell it. A lowball offer does not make the dealer a crook.The dealer offered what it was worth to him. Most people do their homework and try at least 2, 3 or more dealers before they sell anything.
    Yes, I have heard of many horror stories about craigslist, however most people are not crooks or murderers. Take a friend or two along and meet the guy somewhere where there is security to do the transaction.

The dealer who offers 15X for silver when he should be offering 20x or more does not really want to buy it, and most likely does not buy very much of it.

Bob
  • Options

<< <i>"instead he is a lowballing parasite" It has already been clearly established that the dealer did not even make the purchase. So your claim is merely stereotypical discrimination. You haven't even offered a specific, concrete definition of what entity constitutes an established market price, other than implying that if it doesn't meet your standard then it must be wrong and criminal. What is your guideline? >>

There is a market price for silver set on commodity exchanges. We call it the spot price and typically reference it with respect to coins by referring to "melt value." Incidentally, the same exchanges establish market prices for numerous other commodities such as corn, wheat, cotton, pork bellies, etc.

You have a rather strange and nonlinear way of arguing. What is this stereotypical discrimination you speak of? Why is it relevant in evaluating the dealer's ethics that his lowball offer was not successful? An unsuccessful parasite is still a parasite.
  • Options
    "You have a rather strange and nonlinear way of arguing."

The opinon is mutual. You continue to base your judgement on a standard that you choose to accept as Gospel. You seem to be in the minority here. You've ignored the counterpoint that this is a free republic in which people are free to make choices. You chose to describe the dealer as a predator. I would choose to describe a seller who accepted such an offer as a person of free will. Either way, each party has the FREEDOM to make choices. No one, not even he OP alleged that the dealer made any attempt to deceive or defraud. You just arbitrarily made that conclusion.

• Options
    mrearlygoldmrearlygold Posts: 17,858 ✭✭✭

Why would you even consider taking that kind of chance? For a couple bucks?
  • Options

<< <i>"You have a rather strange and nonlinear way of arguing."

The opinon is mutual. You continue to base your judgement on a standard that you choose to accept as Gospel. You seem to be in the minority here. You've ignored the counterpoint that this is a free republic in which people are free to make choices. You chose to describe the dealer as a predator. I would choose to describe a seller who accepted such an offer as a person of free will. Either way, each party has the FREEDOM to make choices. No one, not even he OP alleged that the dealer made any attempt to deceive or defraud. You just arbitrarily made that conclusion. >>

Once again, you set up a straw man and engaged in a scope shift, very poor logical reasoning. Please point out anywhere in this thread where I alleged deceit, fraud, or illegality.

My premise is simple and economically sound. There is a spot price for silver which by definition is the market price. Anyone offering significantly below the spot price, barring special circumstances such as high transportation costs or refining costs, is a parasite attempting to take advantage of market inefficiency. The inefficiency I refer to is a potential seller's ignorance of the spot price and/or how much silver is actually contained in his coins.
  • Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,987 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>What ShortgapBob stated. Too many of you are Koolaid drinkers who have no clue about market dynamics. Any entity can offer whatever price they feel suits the market they make whether as a seller or buyer. That is why it is called a free market. Anyone(sellers/buyers) and everyone(sellers/buyers) is/are FREE to make choices. The free market doesn't statically exist for the convenience of anyone. It exists dynamically when multiple parties choose to make a mutual agreement.

And words of wisdom(?) from GBurger717: " It ammazes(sic) me how much one dealer will rob you blind and another will treat you like you have been a customer of theres for years." So in GBurger717's way of viewing dealers, every dealer should provide the exact same market (pay exactly the same for like kind) in order to be fair to him. Got it. image

Edited for grammer. Um, grahmer. Wait, grammar...image >>

Don't fergit gramper!image
  • Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>The inadvertent humor in the OP is much better without all the detailed analysis. >>

Yes, it was a bit of irony, and amusing in an of itself.

Attempting to parse the definitions of words and the nuances of free market behavior belabors the point, but it sure is fun to mix it up once in a while, isn't it?

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options

<< <i>SO I guess when I bought a property a couple of years ago where the listed price was $300k and we agreed on $275k but the only thing was that it was listed as a triplex but was in fact 3 single family residences on two separate lots each worth $275k, so I effectively doubled my money the second escrow closes.

But many here believe the following:
    that we should not operate in a free market
    that I should always educate the seller
    that everything that is being sold should be sold for the same price or within a certain price point parameter
    that everything being sold is always the same thing and therefore the samething should be priced similarly all the time
    that market price always equals the right price that is to be paid
    that I ripped off the seller as opposed to getting a nice windfall due to my leg work and knowledge of the market

I believe that it is wrong to lie to a little ole lady who is relying on you for advice and you agree to give her your advice ie she comes to you for an appraisal of her goods, the moment you accept that responsibility then you are agreeing to act as her fiducuary and get her the most for her property/goods.

However that is far different than if a little ole lady is selling her property and is asking a certain price and you are a buyer who through your due diligence you the buyer who has no relationship to the seller learns that you can make money by buying her property. Would it make a difference if the seller was a young businessman? It shouldn't matter at all. It is all about your capacity, are you the agent for the seller or are you a disinterested third party. We are all free to sell what we want for how much we want, it is called a free market economy/system. >>

Real estate is not a commodity. The law considers all real estate to be unique. Silver is a commodity, and it has a market price. The distinction should not be difficult to understand.
  • Options
    AMRCAMRC Posts: 4,266 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sorry, failing to see a scam anywhere. Guy on CL is most probably trying to buy it at some price less than retail. The dealer could not pay his rent with that margin.
    MLAeBayNumismatics: "The greatest hobby in the world!"
  • Options

<< <i>Sorry, failing to see a scam anywhere. Guy on CL is most probably trying to buy it at some price less than retail. The dealer could not pay his rent with that margin. >>

What do I care if the dealer can pay his rent or not? That has nothing to do with the market price of silver. The lowballing parasite can go out of business for all I care.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file