Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Two Ebay auctions of 1876-S Double Eagles

s4nys4ny Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭
Over the weekend I watched two Ebay auctions of 1876-S double eagles. The first one
sold for $1852 (including shipping) and is raw, but certainly attractive.

In the same 24 hour period (no gold price change) the second example sold for $1876 (how ironic)
including shipping. The second example is NGC AU55 with a CAC green sticker.

Many observations to make, but sellers are not getting much premium over melt on 137 year old coins.

+++++ first image is protected. Easy to search on Ebay. It is a raw, well worn 1876-S double eagle. Maybe a VF30.

Here is the second one, buyer got a great deal, I think.

Comments

• Options
    llafoellafoe Posts: 7,220 ✭✭
    PCGS price guide for a 55 is $1,940 and a 30 is $1,850... eBay looks to be in the ballpark.
    WANTED: Cincinnati Reds TEAM Cards
  • Options

<< <i>PCGS price guide for a 55 is $1,940 and a 30 is $1,850... eBay looks to be in the ballpark. >>

The VF30 was raw.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>PCGS price guide for a 55 is $1,940 and a 30 is $1,850... eBay looks to be in the ballpark. >>

The VF30 was raw. >>

Stop yelling at me... you suggested the grade! image

Melt is $1,544... MAN, the buyer was ripped off on that raw coin! image
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

The VF30 was raw. >>

Stop yelling at me... you suggested the grade! image

Melt is $1,544... MAN, the buyer was ripped off on that raw coin! image >>

No offense intended. It is somewhat unusual for a raw coin to sell on
    Ebay for 100% of the PCGS graded price.
  • Options
    I'm just having fun! image

I couldn't help but notice this coin while I was looking up the raw coin:

The coin has RUFF surfaces! image
  • Options

<< <i>I'm just having fun! image

I couldn't help but notice this coin while I was looking up the raw coin:

The coin has RUFF surfaces! image >>

Love it.
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,487 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The thing about circulated double eagles like this is that much of their worth comes from their melt value. To me a really nice, smooth Type II double eagle in AU-55 or 58 is a collector bargain at these prices. You won't get rich off of them because the numismatic premium always has been small. The price increases go with the price of gold bullion. But here is a coin that was probably made from California gold that is 137 years old. It is a piece of history.

Finding a nice Mint State Type II double eagle, regards of the date, is very hard. An NGC or PCGS MS-63 graded piece will cost you close to $10,000, and anything higher than that in grade goes for a solid 5 figure price and seldom is available.

BTE I bought a beautiful 1876-S $20 gold for $550 back in the late 1980s. Back then a run of the mill 1904 Liberty $20 gold was selling for $450 or so, so this seemed like a collectors' bargain to me. Today that piece is in an AU-58 holder.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file