Home Precious Metals
Options

War in Korea?

North Korean military is on war footing. Now, they never signed a peace treaty with South Korea, so the Korean War really never ended.

Anyway, what does it mean for gold, if shooting actually starts. The likely knee jerk response is a rally, but what follows after that. What are the scenarios? Despite the North having an antiquated military, Seoul, the South Korean capital and economic center, is in artillery range of the big guns from the North. There would likely be hundreds of thousands of casualties on the first day of a full out artillery barrage from the North.

If that happens, the U.S. would already be in the war, because of the thousands of U.S. troops in the country. Would Japan, China and Russia enter the conflict? If you were an adviser to those countries might you use it as a chance to bleed the U.S. and weaken its already depleted military (depleted by fighting two regional wars), with covert aid and support to the North? Or would you advise a more active role? For China, it would almost seem too good a chance to pass up, to install sympathetic puppet governments in both North and South Korea. Or are they not so smart, not so subtle?

If it flares, Korea can be a much bigger deal than tiny Cyprus, or Greece. The geopolitics get real complicated in any war scenario. Japan, Korea, China, tolerate each other, but there are centuries of old scores to be settled and memories are long.

Comments

• Options
    gsa1fangsa1fan Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭
    Any leader that is a fan of Dennis Rodman is a NUT! He is liable to do anything~scary!!!
    Avid collector of GSA's.
  • Options
    daOnlyBGdaOnlyBG Posts: 1,060 ✭✭
    Man, I used to love watching Rodman grab those rebounds. If the Chicago Bulls organization were any less stingy with retiring numbers, his would be right up there on the top of the UC. Anyway...

Gut feeling: nothing will happen with North Korea. It's generally a poor distraction for other shenanigans world leaders are engaging in, particularly installing new regimes in the Middle East and calling them "democratic." The bigger worry would probably be a currency adjustment war between the US and a bunch of Eastern countries.
    Successful BST transactions with: blu62vette, Shortgapbob, Dolan, valente151, cucamongacoin, ajaan

Interests:
    Pre-Jump Grade Project
    Toned Commemoratives
  • Options
    piecesofmepiecesofme Posts: 6,669 ✭✭✭
    Not being a jerk, but I could really give a sh*t. Not worth any of my time to be remotely concerned. Stop listening to mainstream media! They're nothing, and even Obama with his weak foreign policy arse would blow them off the planet if they posed any real threat.
    To forgive is to free a prisoner, and to discover that prisoner was you.
  • Options
    daOnlyBGdaOnlyBG Posts: 1,060 ✭✭
    ^ yup
    Successful BST transactions with: blu62vette, Shortgapbob, Dolan, valente151, cucamongacoin, ajaan

Interests:
    Pre-Jump Grade Project
    Toned Commemoratives
  • Options
    renman95renman95 Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Little Kim Jon-un, all hat and no cattle.
  • Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,536 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If North Korea started fighting again, and lost the war, (think intentionally) it would benefit it's people. Perhaps the regime is smarter
    than we think. Wonderful way to get your people help and fed and be able to finally sign a treaty and preserve
    the lives of the elite.

A suppressed people will only tolerate the leadership so long. Perhaps the internal unrest is building to a head?

bobimage
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    tneigtneig Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭
    You have a good point. Very good point.

<< <i>....Not worth any of my time to be remotely concerned. Stop listening to mainstream media!................. >>

COA
  • Options
    cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,621 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The north Korean army would march across the border, take off their uniforms and thank the S Koreans for an opportunity at freedom. The rebuilding of N Korea would be a little lift to global gdp.
    Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I had thought of AUandAG's concept...lose the war and let the U.S. rebuild the country..... but that would be giving KJU too much credit....although maybe his puppet masters have thought of this....Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    gsa1fangsa1fan Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭
    We sending war planes/jets time to party is near it seems.
    Avid collector of GSA's.
  • Options
    rpwrpw Posts: 235 ✭✭
    I agree with daOnlyBG and piecesofme. The North Koreans are shrewd calculating poker players. They have a goal in mind and the bloviating bumpkins in the current administration will give it to them without any shooting. The really scary players on the world scene have always been, and remain, the true believers in Iran and those who front for it. Americans need to stop ingesting the pap fed to them by the mainstream media, it is all designed to lull them into a "things are just peachy" frame of mind and keep them distracted them with sports and titillating celebrity gossip. We have become the Roman Empire.

"Already long ago, from when we sold our vote to no man, the People have abdicated our duties; for the People who once upon a time handed out military command, high civil office, legions — everything, now restrains itself and anxiously hopes for just two things: bread and circuses." Juvenal, Satire 10.77–81
    imageimage Small Size National Bank Note Type Set $5-$100
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,503 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Any leader that is a fan of Dennis Rodman is a NUT! He is liable to do anything~scary!!! >>

and its not getting any better image
  • Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

Found this today on the naked capitalism site.

north korea is a rational actor.

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,201 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It is my belief that a powerful, behind the scenes ally of NK is prodding/using them to start hostilities. NK is getting the go ahead/blessing from someone. I'm sure NK thinks someone has their back.

Keep an open mind, or get financially repressed -Zoltan Pozsar

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,420 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>It is my belief that a powerful, behind the scenes ally of NK is prodding/using them to start hostilities. NK is getting the go ahead/blessing from someone. I'm sure NK thinks someone has their back. >>

Why not just say China? We all know who the puppet-master is.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    You beat me to it PerryHal. It couldn't be more obvious what they are instigating...and then have the nerve to say both sides (US & NK) should calm down. Classic reverse psycology tactic.
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,493 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I highly doubt China wants North Korea to get crushed and then reformed into another South Korea, because thats exactly whats going to happen, and as tough as everyone thinks China is they will not risk an escalating crisis with the United States as far as Nuclear weapons are concerned. In conventional terms China has way more men but thats it, long gone are the days when troop counts mattered.
  • Options
    I was thinking of the other player.

• Options

<< <i>I was thinking of the other player. >>

Really? What is Russias motive in your opinion? I assume your talking Russia and Not Iran...........
  • Options
    since it doesn't involve PMs, i'll refrain from discussing.

• Options
    since it doesn't involve PMs, i'll refrain from discussing.

But you brought it up image
  • Options
    and i ended it. image

edited to add: ended my participation

• Options
    CakesCakes Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Not being a jerk, but I could really give a sh*t. Not worth any of my time to be remotely concerned. Stop listening to mainstream media! They're nothing, and even Obama with his weak foreign policy arse would blow them off the planet if they posed any real threat. >>

I get your point about the mainstream media but there are people with family on that line right now.
    Successful coin BST transactions with Gerard and segoja.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.
  • Options

<< <i>since it doesn't involve PMs, i'll refrain from discussing. >>

You don't think a crisis that escalates into a major war can have an effect on PM's?

• Options

<< <i>and i ended it. image >>

You can start a thread but that doesn't mean you own it. image

• Options

<< <i>

You don't think a crisis that escalates into a major war can have an effect on PM's? >>

The thing is it wont be a "Major" war, the conflict will last less than a Month and at the end of that time The NK war machine will be completely incapacitated. Yes there will be lots of dead civilians and military personel but after they are brought to their knees it wont be like Iraq and Afghanistan where its non stop guerilla warfare, the NK people will be relieved that the harsh rule is over with. The problem is going to be the amount of money we sink in to reform that country into another South Korea and that will bring us further into debt and the economy will suffer more. Im starting to think that my waiting for the $25 Silver number might be wasting time, I been buying more at the $29-$30 mark recently and am satisfied that I will get a decent return sooner rather than later.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

You don't think a crisis that escalates into a major war can have an effect on PM's? >>

The thing is it wont be a "Major" war, the conflict will last less than a Month and at the end of that time The NK war machine will be completely incapacitated. Yes there will be lots of dead civilians and military personel but after they are brought to their knees it wont be like Iraq and Afghanistan where its non stop guerilla warfare, the NK people will be relieved that the harsh rule is over with. The problem is going to be the amount of money we sink in to reform that country into another South Korea and that will bring us further into debt and the economy will suffer more. Im starting to think that my waiting for the $25 Silver number might be wasting time, I been buying more at the $29-$30 mark recently and am satisfied that I will get a decent return sooner rather than later. >>

We thought the same thing in 1950 until the Chinese got involved.

• Options
    COALPORTERCOALPORTER Posts: 2,900 ✭✭
    Japan ? No, they are not allowed to have an army. We are the Japan army.
  • Options

I'm confused , is this North Korean stuff the bread or the circuses?
  • Options

<< <i>Japan ? No, they are not allowed to have an army. We are the Japan army. >>

Their constitution doesn't allow them to have an army but the do have a self defense force. If there is an attack on S. Korea by N. Korea (think mass invasion) and the US doesn't defend S.Korea, the Japanese will have no choice but to develope a nuclear arsenal.

• Options

Just out of curiosity does North Korea have a central bank? Is it tied into the BIS IMF world bank etc?

• Options
  • Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,373 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The article doesn't encompass the dynamics of post WWII and paints the US as the aggressor. Not true.
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.