Home Precious Metals

How do you decide what is a coin and what is bullion?

mrpaseomrpaseo Posts: 4,753 ✭✭✭
Since I am just beginning my stack, I am looking through my records and see that I have some coins that have been "coins" up to this point that I may start looking at as "Bullion". As I look around on YouTube, I am seeing many stacker videos that have coins in their stack that have a higher numismatic value than the bullion within yet these proof coins for example are in the bullion stacking pile.

My question is, how do you determine which stack to put each coin in?

Thanks,
Ray

Comments

• derrybderryb Posts: 36,112 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You need a third stack for "bullion coins." Bullion coins, not to be confused with bullion "rounds," are produced by a nation's coinage mint facility in both proof and business strike versions to strict standards and they are marked with a monetary value. This provides a very reliable source for its citizen to procure precious metal safely and from a reliable source. In the US legislation was passed in the early 80's requiring the US mint to produce American Eagles in gold, silver and platinum flavors for public consumption.

Since their inception, a strong Eagle collector base has developed, resulting in periodic production of special collector versions. While they are highly collected, all American Eagles remain bullion coins as far as the US Mint and the IRS are concerned. You will find serious coin collectors who will argue that they are not "coins" at all.

The decline from democracy to tyranny is both a natural and inevitable one.

• WeissWeiss Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is where a box of 20 comes in handy.

When it comes down to it, if you buy it primarily for its bullion content, it's bullion. If you buy it for its numismatic value or interest, it's not bullion.

That's not to say some pieces don't cross over. For me most of them do.

But my box of 20 stuff is definitely not bullion, though it's made of silver or gold.
    We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • piecesofmepiecesofme Posts: 6,669 ✭✭✭
    If it's stamped (some people call it hallmarked) .999 silver, .999 fine silver (same for gold)...it's bullion.

If it's a U.S. coin made before 1964 that has silver in it, it's refered to as 90% silver. There are 40% U.S. coins & 50% & 80% Canadina coins too. Stay away from them, they're losers when it comes time to sell.

If it's stamped .999 silver and has a Dollar amount also stamped on it, it's a bullion coin to some people. It will always hold the metal content value and some people think it has numismatic value too. Personally, I don't subscribe to that. Ultimately if the sh*t were to hit the fan, people would most likely only give you the metal value of it.

All just my humble opinion for what it's worth and I hope this simplifies it for you to some degree.
    To forgive is to free a prisoner, and to discover that prisoner was you.
  • nibannynibanny Posts: 2,761
    To me all the most common Govt issues and bars are bullion. All the others are coins.
    I code them in my file depending on the price+premium paid compared to spot when I bought them.
    Though, I recently moved few silver bars and the UHR into the bullion category in my file...image
    The member formerly known as Ciccio / Posts: 1453 / Joined: Apr 2009
  • DorkGirlDorkGirl Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭
    For me, a common date, worn coin is bullion, like a 1887 Morgan. A BU of the same date is a coin. More modern coins like halves and dimes are mostly bullion. The exception for me with them is extremely high grade and great color.
    Becky
  • mrpaseomrpaseo Posts: 4,753 ✭✭✭

<< <i>For me, a common date, worn coin is bullion, like a 1887 Morgan. A BU of the same date is a coin. More modern coins like halves and dimes are mostly bullion. The exception for me with them is extremely high grade and great color. >>

Looking at my collection I believe I have some Silver Proof Quarters (Slabbed) (I know, and early mistake I made back in the days), I also have some circulated Mercs (I call it my "Circ-Merc" set) that I am wondering if I should pull them out of their 2X2s and put them in my
    Stack". Though, I could have a binder or 2X2 box that I could use in my stack I guess.

Thank you all for your responses,
    Ray
  • For me, most is bullion. I have some numismatic coins - cant explain it, just that I will pay many insainly multiples above spot for certain coins that "speak" to me. This includes some CC Morgans, certain early commemoratives and certain reverse proofs. So to me one persons bullion is another persons numismatic dream. image
  • PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,301 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A coin may be bullion and vice versa. It's not mutually exclusive.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• tneigtneig Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭
    You can label the stuff what you wish and be just as correct, and in two years change your opinion.
    You can buy it under one concept, and then have a different concept when selling (like with a car).
    That's what makes it a fun game.

COA
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It is simply a matter of terminology.... if it is gold or silver and has monetary value assigned it is a coin - made of bullion. If it is simply silver rounds or medals, it is only bullion. Cheers, RickO

• << <i>You can label the stuff what you wish and be just as correct, and in two years change your opinion.
    You can buy it under one concept, and then have a different concept when selling (like with a car).
    That's what makes it a fun game. >>

Insightful! image
  • MeltdownMeltdown Posts: 8,650 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I build album sets of "bullion" 90%. I buy them as bullion but treat them as coins.
    This type of "stacking" keeps my collecting interest sharp as well as satisfing much of my plan to hoard silver.

I've got a couple sets of Franklins, a complete set of quarters, merc dimes (minus the 2 key dates) & Roosie dimes.
    I'm curently working on Walking lib halves album, all hand picked out of 90%. I've got about $12 face in there, all different dates & mint marks...

• MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I flip it.

If it comes up heads, it's a coin.

If it comes up tails, it too is a coin.

If it's PM value is greater than it's face value, added bonus, it is bullion TOO!
    Now riding the swell in PM's and surf.
  • TennesseeDaveTennesseeDave Posts: 4,737 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If it has more value for the precious metal it is bullion, if not it's a coin.
    Trade $'s
  • Steve27Steve27 Posts: 13,267 ✭✭✭
    Simple, If I'm buying, it's bullion; if I'm selling, it's a coin with numismatic value above melt.
    "It's far easier to fight for principles, than to live up to them." Adlai Stevenson