Home Precious Metals
Options

Engelhard 1oz Rounds Priced Higher...

Than Silver Maple Leafs and Eagles. I don't get it.

Comments

• Options
    mrpaseomrpaseo Posts: 4,753 ✭✭✭
    I am totally new to the game but I know supply and demand feeds the cost of just about any item. Are these limited in any way? I notice they are not serial numbered, they just carry the Engelhard name... I'm puzzled too.

Ray
  • Options

<< <i>Than Silver Maple Leafs and Eagles. I don't get it. >>

I knew the 1 oz bars were no longer minted but I just found this on a site, "Engelhard rounds have a rich history, are no longer being minted, and are increasingly difficult to locate in quantity."

Supply and demand it is.
    Ray
  • Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I am totally new to the game but I know supply and demand feeds the cost of just about any item. Are these limited in any way? I notice they are not serial numbered, they just carry the Engelhard name... I'm puzzled too.

Ray >>

Engelhard .... BASF is the new owner..... Buyer beware....that particular design is mass counterfeited by the Chinese .. silver plated junk.

Link
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,415 ✭✭✭✭✭

Didn't they stop making them in the 1980's?

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options

<< <i>

Link here to the quote below

<< <i>Didn't they stop making them in the 1980's? >>

Engelhard 1 oz. Prospector Silver Coins
    In the early 1970s, investors turned to silver bullion as protection against rising inflation. (Americans did not regain the right to legally own gold bullion until December 31, 1974.) In addition to the problem of inflation, the US government had suppressed the price of silver in the 1960s, making silver an attractive investment.

Initially, numerous small mints turned out a variety of silver bullion products: 1-oz and 2-oz rounds, 5-oz, 10-oz, 25-oz, 50-oz and 100-oz bars. In only a few years, however, 1-oz rounds and 10-oz and 100-oz bars became the preferred forms for owning physical silver bullion, and production of the other sizes ceased. Today, some of the earlier items surface from time to time.

In the late 1970s as the price of silver began to climb, the major silver refineries, such as Handy & Harman, Johnson-Matthey, and Engelhard, began producing silver bullion products, primarily 100-oz and 10-oz bars. Engelhard was the first to market 1-oz silver bullion rounds, which carried an image of a prospector panning, oddly enough, for gold. Silver, unlike gold, is not found in alluvial deposits.

Engelhard's silver Prospectors soon dominated the 1-oz silver round market. Even Johnson-Matthey, which introduced an inspiring series of Freedom Rounds centered on the Bill of Rights, was unable to compete. In the late 1980s, though, as interest in precious metals waned, Engelhard stopped producing products for silver investors. Undoubtedly instrumental in Engelhard's decision to cease production of Prospectors was competition from the US Mint's legal tender Silver Eagles, which sold at only a few cents more than did the non-legal tender Prospectors.

The same kneeling prospector graces the obverse of all Prospectors; however, Engelhard used several different designs for the reverse. Prospectors are dated, 1983-1987, and generally come in tubes of twenty-five coins. Some Prospectors were packaged individually in thin protective plastic packets and sometimes show up still in plastic.

Because of their excellent striking and because they carry the Engelhard hallmark, Prospectors sell at higher premiums over spot than do the Sunshine silver rounds and the Indian Head/Buffalo silver rounds. Since Prospectors are no longer produced, they are not always available.

Courtesy CMI >>

• Options
    Steve27Steve27 Posts: 13,274 ✭✭✭
    I've seen them priced higher than other forms of .999 1oz silver, but never higher than Eagles.
    "It's far easier to fight for principles, than to live up to them." Adlai Stevenson
  • Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,458 ✭✭✭✭✭
    the more real people I talk to (no offense to those of you I know via electrons), the more convinced I am to stick with the generally-not-counterfeited silver stuff. Good stacks of 90% leads that list.
  • Options
    WeissWeiss Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>the more real people I talk to (no offense to those of you I know via electrons), the more convinced I am to stick with the generally-not-counterfeited silver stuff. Good stacks of 90% leads that list. >>

Sad but true. Or safe(r), anyway. I've got stacks of prospectors, some in the original poly bagettes.

We all love PMs, and the neat old 2 ounce JM or Engelhard poured bars are interesting and rare. But I've said before that if you're truly stacking bullion for its insurance properties and/or SHTF protection, you should probably stick with stuff that you wouldn't mind seeing a hacksaw cut into right before your eyes.
    We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • Options
    joefrojoefro Posts: 1,872 ✭✭

<< <i>Buyer beware....that particular design is mass counterfeited by the Chinese .. silver plated junk.
    >>

^^^^ This is the reason I don't own any Engelhard rounds.
    Lincoln Cent & Libertad Collector
  • Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I love 1 oz Engelhard rounds. MJ
    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    VanHalenVanHalen Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Buyer beware....that particular design is mass counterfeited by the Chinese .. silver plated junk.
    >>

^^^^ This is the reason I don't own any Engelhard rounds. >>

If you are that worried, you shouldn't buy any bars or rounds from anybody. Pretty much every type of bar and round has a corresponding counterfeit available.

The Chinese are mass producing silver plated ASEs and shipping them to a dealer near you as I type.
  • Options
    rawteam1rawteam1 Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

>>

lol, JF, then what silver do u own thats has no chinese counterfeit counterpart?....
    keceph `anah
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

>>

If you are that worried, you shouldn't buy any bars or rounds from anybody. Pretty much every type of bar and round has a corresponding counterfeit available.

The Chinese are massing producing silver plated ASEs and shipping them to a dealer near you as I type. >>

That's to general a statement. If you purchase your rounds from well know National bullion dealers, your odds are good that they are not counterfeited. Chinese copies of ASE's are another issue, not the counterfeited ones, with some marked 100 Mills and others silver plated iron. Currency is also being counterfeited, but I'm not paranoid enough to stop using or receiving it.
  • Options
    tneigtneig Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭
    Do you think that a place like Apmex can guarantee the E bars they sell any more than anyone else?

I'll assume pretty safe with ASE, Apmex bars/coins etc.
    COA
  • Options

<< <i>Do you think that a place like Apmex can guarantee the E bars they sell any more than anyone else?

I'll assume pretty safe with ASE, Apmex bars/coins etc. >>

Yes...their reputation is at stake if they don't.
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,415 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The 1 oz Engelhard prospector silver rounds that I've seen pictured are fairly crude imitations of the real ones. Buy a good scale if counterfeits worry you. I would worry more about the gold Engelhard bars and the odd weight Engelhard silver bars that bring the high prices. Bars by their very nature have simple designs and it would be easy to make a convincing cast counterfeit. The prospector silver rounds have fairly detailed designs not unlike the ASE's and are far more difficult to convincingly counterfeit.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,458 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

>>

lol, JF, then what silver do u own thats has no chinese counterfeit counterpart?.... >>

they're not faking Roosies and Washies yet, are they?
  • Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

They are faking washington presidental dollars . Talk about a low margin businessimage
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

>>

lol, JF, then what silver do u own thats has no chinese counterfeit counterpart?.... >>

they're not faking Roosies and Washies yet, are they? >>

what makes you believe they are not?

fakes
  • Options
    WeissWeiss Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Chinese are making fakes of everything.

The best defense is to know your choice of bullion inside and out and to have a ready pool of buyers and sellers who also know their bullion inside and out.

How many of us are experts in Engelhard prospectors? How many know the ins and outs of Sunshine or JM bars?

I'm not, I don't, and I've been a bullion junkie for a good 30 years now.

But one thing I do know inside and out is American coinage. I know the look, the feel, the heft of 90% like I know the back of my hand.

That's not to say a few fakes thrown into a $1000 bag wouldn't fool me if I was in a hurry. But in "everyday" quantities, say $10 to maybe $100 face, I am confident I could pick out fakes--even really good fakes--within a few seconds.
    We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame