Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

1985 Fleer baseball factory set?

Hello everyone. I have a question the maybe some of you can help me with. For a while now, I've been in search of a 1985 Fleer baseball factory set. According to the monthly Beckett magazines and the yearly almanac, they state that they DO exist, however, when I research the set anywhere else, all I could find was that in this year of production, all they issued for the base set were wax packs and vending boxes. I bought what was supposedly a 1985 Fleer baseball factory set a few years ago on Ebay when I didn't know any better, and I questioned the seller even at that time as to how he could tell it was a 1985 set because the year isn't on the old boxes back then. He told me that the serial numbers on the bottom of the box (8568-A) were the way to tell that is was a 1985 set. Recently I busted my set open because I was suspicious after never seeing another 85 set after this one. What I found was 1988 fleer cards image . Live and learn, but my question is do they actually exist? They are valued at $100.00 according to Beckett but I've never seen one. Are they super rare? I know that did a factory set for the 1988 Fleer Update run as I own that, but what about the base set? Thanks guys image
Always looking for OPC "tape intact" baseball wax boxes, and 1984 OPC baseball PSA 10's for my set. Please PM or email me if you have any available.

Comments

• Options
    RudedawgRudedawg Posts: 345 ✭✭
    Based on doing daily searches for any 1985 Fleer Complete Sets, I have yet to see one as a true, designated Factory Set. Any time a seller lists a "Fleer Set lot" and the 1985 is included, that is the one set which is noted as "not a factory set". 1984 and 1986 are definitely available as Factory Sets, but I'm a believer that if there are indeed 1985 Factory Sets, they are rare. At this point, I'm just going to buy a better condition set and go from there.
    Currently collecting PSA graded:

1991 & 1992 Fleer Pro Visions
    1952 Topps
  • Options
    Is Beckett calling Vending boxes factory sets?

1985 Vending Sets 1-4
  • Options
    mgugs46mgugs46 Posts: 217 ✭✭
    So is 8568-A the 85 Fleer factory set? If so I'm looking at one right now.
    Looking for PSA HOF autos, PSA Vintage Red Sox and Pedro Martinez
  • Options
    Here is a pic

• Options
    Gemyanks10Gemyanks10 Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭
    Mine wasn't when I opened it. According to the Beckett Almanac, they do exist and are valued at around 100 bucks, but I've never seen one. The one I purchased from Ebay had the exact same serial numbers and turned out to be a 1988 set. I've still never seen a true 85 fleer set and would love to own one if one ever popped up.

Jimmy
    Always looking for OPC "tape intact" baseball wax boxes, and 1984 OPC baseball PSA 10's for my set. Please PM or email me if you have any available.
  • Options
    esquiresportsesquiresports Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭
    I'd be interested to see one. I have set runs from Donruss, Fleer, Score and Upper Deck tucked away somewhere and will try to pull them out if someone can show me what an '85 set looks like.
    Always buying 1971 OPC Baseball packs.
  • Options
    Hmmm. I guess the only way to find out is to open it, which of course would ruin any possible value image
  • Options
    cefy1cefy1 Posts: 430 ✭✭✭
    I'm pretty sure I had one as a kid. If I remember correctly the cards were packed in groups that were wrapped in cellophane. Unfortunately, I showed my collection to the wrong folks and it got stolen. That was one of the items that was taken along with all my reggie's, yaz's, boggs rookies and henderson rookies.
    Always buying Gretzky PSA Graded

Need some 2007 A&G Regular Back Mini's PM if you have any and I will send my needs list.
  • Options
    jmmiller777jmmiller777 Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I'm pretty sure I had one as a kid. If I remember correctly the cards were packed in groups that were wrapped in cellophane. Unfortunately, I showed my collection to the wrong folks and it got stolen. That was one of the items that was taken along with all my reggie's, yaz's, boggs rookies and henderson rookies. >>

Yes, I believe this is correct now that you mention it...
    CURRENT PROJECTS IN WORK:
    To be honest, no direction, but...
    1966-69 Topps EX+
    1975 minis NrMt Kelloggs PSA 9
    All Topps Heritage-Master Sets
  • Options
    cardbendercardbender Posts: 1,831 ✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>I'm pretty sure I had one as a kid. If I remember correctly the cards were packed in groups that were wrapped in cellophane. Unfortunately, I showed my collection to the wrong folks and it got stolen. That was one of the items that was taken along with all my reggie's, yaz's, boggs rookies and henderson rookies. >>

Yes, I believe this is correct now that you mention it... >>

Donruss packaged their factory sets that way, not Fleer. In blocks of 56 cards, each cello wrapped
    inside a factory box, with a diamond king header card on the top of each cello. The factory box itself was not
    cello/shrink wrapped.
    Fleer use to package their factory sets with the cards flip flopped in the box about every 50-60 cards
    or so. The cards were loose in the box. The front of the factory set would have one piece of 'fleer tape'
    holding the front flap tight. If you bought them from hobby shops, the sets weren't shrink wrapped either.
    Not sure how any Fleer retail sets looked however.

Fleer would shrink wrapped their Glossy set tins. Those were first out in 1987.
  • Options
    bcubsbcubs Posts: 344 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

Yes, I believe this is correct now that you mention it... >>

The cellophane wrapped groups of cards in factory set form I have seen were only in Donruss.

Appreciate today-

Bill

• Options
    WFFLWFFL Posts: 494 ✭✭✭
    Correct call on the Donruss. Fleer sets had different colored ink in Fleer name on factory box along with the seal (I know I had a green, red, and blue in the mid-late 80's).
  • Options
    Nascar360Nascar360 Posts: 1,851 ✭✭✭
    That Green one is the 1988 Set

Fleer Factory Sets
    1989 Fleer Set - Red 8614-A (1989 Set)
    1988 Fleer Set - Green 8568-A
    1987 Fleer Set - Blue 8523-A
    1986 Fleer Set - Red Not sure of the number ??????

NO FACTORY SETS (1981 - 1985)
    1985 Fleer Set - Four Blue Vending Boxes #1, #2, #3 & #4 (Makes 3 Sets)
    1984 Fleer Set - Four Black Vending Boxes #1, #2, #3 & #4 (Makes 3 Sets)
    1983 Fleer Set - Four Green Vending Boxes #1, #2, #3 & #4 (Makes 3 Sets)
    1982 Fleer Set - Four Blue Vending Boxes #1, #2, #3 & #4 (Makes 3 Sets)
    1981 Fleer Set - Four Red Vending Boxes #1, #2, #3 & #4 (Makes 3 Sets)
  • Options
    Yes, 1985 Donruss came in packs for their factory sealed sets.

• Options
    originalisbestoriginalisbest Posts: 5,915 ✭✭✭✭
    I don't know if this helps the discussion any, but from Steve Hart I once bought a set of 4 '85 Fleer vending boxes that taken together, form (from memory) three complete factory sets. Would think that a simple, single factory set option would have been available as well, but don't recall ever seeing one?
  • Options
    dmurphy3mvpdmurphy3mvp Posts: 264 ✭✭✭
    Steve and I both agreed that this factory set doesn't exist.

Reed Kasaoka
    Buyer, Baseball Card Exchange

cell: (808) 372-1974
    email: ReedBBCE@gmail.com
    eBay stores: bbcexchange, bbcexchange2, bbcexchange3, bbcexchange4

• Options
    originalisbestoriginalisbest Posts: 5,915 ✭✭✭✭
    Well I would trust you guys as the final word! Thanks, good to know! Looks then like the official Fleer vending boxes for '85 are the closest thing to a factory set for them. image
  • Options
    Nascar360Nascar360 Posts: 1,851 ✭✭✭
    Fleer Factory Sets
    1989 Fleer Set - Red 8614-A (1989 Set)
    1988 Fleer Set - Green 8568-A
    1987 Fleer Set - Blue 8523-A
    1986 Fleer Set - Red Not sure of the number ??????

NO FACTORY SETS (1981 - 1985)
    1985 Fleer Set - Four Blue Vending Boxes #1, #2, #3 & #4 (Makes 3 Sets)
    1984 Fleer Set - Four Black Vending Boxes #1, #2, #3 & #4 (Makes 3 Sets)
    1983 Fleer Set - Four Green Vending Boxes #1, #2, #3 & #4 (Makes 3 Sets)
    1982 Fleer Set - Four Blue Vending Boxes #1, #2, #3 & #4 (Makes 3 Sets)
    1981 Fleer Set - Four Red Vending Boxes #1, #2, #3 & #4 (Makes 3 Sets)