Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

ANOTHER bid retraction! How come NO PENALTY for bidders?

Even Hammerin Hank's rookie card can't escape the bid retractors!!! How come there is no penalty for this sort of thing?

Comments

• Options
    bobbyw8469bobbyw8469 Posts: 7,139 ✭✭✭
    The more I think about it, the madder I get. Sellers are penalized left and right - if you end an auction early, you pay the final value fee on where the bid currently is at. Yet a bidder is allowed to retract a bid anytime they want, as long as the auction doesn't end in 12 hours or less, without penality. That is BS!!! Rant over. Ebay is getting a call this afternoon.
  • Options
    Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have spoken to EBAY customer service reps and you can in great detail explain the issue and they will agree with you but for some reason someone at the top just won't seem to do anything about it.

Bid retractions are a real problem in my view and should only be allowed in extremely limited circumstances.

Good luck with your auction.
  • Options
    It's possible that a bidder might not have seen who the seller was before placing the bid, and after noticing the seller's ID chose to retract his/her bid.
  • Options

<< <i>It's possible that a bidder might not have seen who the seller was before placing the bid, and after noticing the seller's ID chose to retract his/her bid. >>

doubtful....that seller is one of the best on Ebay.
  • Options
    stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭
    The Ted sold for $86, which I'm sure you're more than happy to take. In regards to this auction, it was retracted by someone with 2 feebacks, which can be avoided by posting a disclaimer "Potential buyers with 10 or less FB may be subject to their bids being retracted".

If bid retractions, which are allowable by eBay, rile you up this much, I suggest a BINOBO format.

Good luck.
    So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Options

<< <i>If bid retractions, which are allowable by eBay, rile you up this much, I suggest a BINOBO format. >>

I WAS happy with the $86. Instead of forcing me to do a BIN/BO format, is it too much to ask to have Ebay penalize bid retractors the same way they penalize sellers who end auctions early?? If I end an auction early, then I have to pay a final value fee equal to what the bid was when I ended an auction.

Can they not put something similiar in for bid retractors?? Say if you use the 'entered wrong amount' excuse, and you DO NOT enter the 'correct' bid amount within five minutes, then you pay a 10% penalty of what your bid was??

I don't know...maybe I am grasping at straws - just seems like all the penalties and restrictions are placed upon sellers and bidders are allowed to do anything at their hearts content.
  • Options
    JaktJakt Posts: 573
    I've found that a lot of times when a bid is retracted that they would not have won the auction anyway.
    I'm building a 1968 and a 1970 Topps set. I have lots of 1970s and 1960s to offer in trade.
  • Options

<< <i>Can they not put something similiar in for bid retractors?? >>

I suggest contacting eBay and asking if you can make bid retractions an exception similar to minimal feedback (IE if you have 5 or more bid retractions within the last six months, your bid is subject to being retracted). Knowing you can do so with minimal FB, I suggest at least adding that disclaimer to your auctions going forward.

<< <i>Say if you use the 'entered wrong amount' excuse, and you DO NOT enter the 'correct' bid amount within five minutes, then you pay a 10% penalty of what your bid was?? >>

Considering eBay gives the Buyer significant protections and pretty much leaves Sellers at their mercy, that ain't happening. On the other hand, I believe some Auction Houses do have that type of protection.
    So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Options

<< <i>I've found that a lot of times when a bid is retracted that they would not have won the auction anyway. >>

This person would have won. His bid would have set a VCP record. PM sent.
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,541 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The bidder may have won but likely would not have paid. Be thankful they saved you the trouble of filing an NPB by retracting their bid.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    ClockworkAngelClockworkAngel Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭
    I got drunk and put in a crazy number for a card I always wanted, but it was a PSA 9 that was marginal and I thought more of an 8 when I sobered up lol. The next morning, I was a little disturbed when I signed on to eBay to see what I had bid. It was also a Probstein auction, thus the price was going to be way inflated anyway, plus with the potential of shilling out there I was afraid I'd be stuck paying the number I bid. So, yeah, I like the retraction feature

For what it's worth, I picked up that same card for a much less price that I was going to pay on the other auction, and I maintain it is the nicest 9 I've ever seen:

imageimage
    The Clockwork Angel Collection...brought to you by Bank of America, Wells Fargo, and Chase
    TheClockworkAngelCollection
  • Options
    alnavmanalnavman Posts: 4,129 ✭✭✭
    I haven't had issues so far with retractions but it really pizzzzes me off that lately everyone seems to think they can bid, have high bid and then ignore every message requesting payment....I even offer them no negatives if they at least let me know that they screwed up and really didn't want the card(s).....al.
  • Options

<< <i>I even offer them no negatives if they at least let me know that they screwed up and really didn't want the card(s) >>

Sellers haven't been able to leave negative feedback for buyers since 2008.
  • Options
    Sounds like you are pretty unhappy with EBay and its policies in general. My suggestion would be to close your account and sell your cards elsewhere.
    'Sir, I realize it's been difficult for you to sleep at night without your EX/MT 1977 Topps Tom Seaver, but I swear to you that you'll get it safe and sound.'
    -CDs Nuts, 1/20/14

*1956 Topps baseball- 97.4% complete, 7.24 GPA
    *Clemente basic set: 85.0% complete, 7.89 GPA
  • Options
    mccardguy1mccardguy1 Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Sounds like you are pretty unhappy with EBay and its policies in general. My suggestion would be to close your account and sell your cards elsewhere. >>

+20 (or more)
    I am on a budget and I am not afraid to use it!!
  • Options

<< <i>Sounds like you are pretty unhappy with EBay and its policies in general. My suggestion would be to close your account and sell your cards elsewhere >>

April 16th is right around the corner Clamsy. I don't need some computer avatar to tell me how to run my business. I already have things planned in the works. Ebay might play a small part in the grand scheme of thing, but they DEFINITELY won't get any of my cards worth $1,000+!!
  • Options
    9 days ago Bobby wrote: "This only solidifies my position that I will no longer be selling graded cards on my own, and will be using Probstein123 and PWCC to exclusively sell my slabbed cards."

http://forums.collectors.com/messageview.cfm?catid=11&threadid=883816
  • Options
    Maurice...I get it...you and Walter Sobchack don't like me. You don't know me - you just know you don't like me. Why on earth do you constantly go into my threads and stir up trouble then?? Are you lives so pathetic that you have to have them filled with drama to make yourselves feel important?? I just don't get it......
  • Options

<< <i>Ebay might play a small part in the grand scheme of thing, but they DEFINITELY won't get any of my cards worth $1,000+!! >>

Maurice, please make sure to keep tabs on this one, too. Much obliged.
    'Sir, I realize it's been difficult for you to sleep at night without your EX/MT 1977 Topps Tom Seaver, but I swear to you that you'll get it safe and sound.'
    -CDs Nuts, 1/20/14

• Options
    digicatdigicat Posts: 8,551 ✭✭
    There's really no way that Ebay could enforce any kind of monetary penalty on bidders. They don't do it for NPBs, there's no way they'll do it for bid retractors.

However, just like with the NPB strikes, maybe they should do a retraction policy where any bidder who's retracted more than X bids in a 6 month period is subject to getting their account suspended?
    My Giants collection want list

WTB: 2001 Leaf Rookies & Stars Longevity: Ryan Jensen #/25
  • Options
    A repeat for Walter Sobchack apparently......the drama queens need their fix!

Maurice...I get it...you and Walter Sobchack don't like me. You don't know me - you just know you don't like me. Why on earth do you constantly go into my threads and stir up trouble then?? Are you lives so pathetic that you have to have them filled with drama to make yourselves feel important?? I just don't get it......
  • Options

<< <i>Maurice...I get it...you and Walter Sobchack don't like me. You don't know me - you just know you don't like me. Why on earth do you constantly go into my threads and stir up trouble then?? Are you lives so pathetic that you have to have them filled with drama to make yourselves feel important?? I just don't get it...... >>

I rarely comment on your threads.
    Every now and then, the whining gets to the point where it's so overwhelming that I'm unable to bite my tongue. This is a character failure of mine, I'm working on it, and I apologize.
    -CDs Nuts, 1/20/14

• Options
    ReggieClevelandReggieCleveland Posts: 3,855 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can understand the frustration but complaining about ebay's shady policies is like complaining about a Quarter Pounder with Cheese not being chock full of vitamins and minerals.
  • Options
    detroitfan2detroitfan2 Posts: 3,314 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Maurice...I get it...you and Walter Sobchack don't like me. You don't know me - you just know you don't like me. Why on earth do you constantly go into my threads and stir up trouble then?? Are you lives so pathetic that you have to have them filled with drama to make yourselves feel important?? I just don't get it...... >>

I rarely comment on your threads.
    Every now and then, the whining gets to the point where it's so overwhelming that I'm unable to bite my tongue. This is a character failure of mine, I'm working on it, and I apologize. >>

Put me in the same boat. A serious question for you Bobby. What, exactly, is the point of this thread? Is there anyone on these boards that can do anything about bid retracting?
  • Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,267 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bid retractions should simply not be allowed. The process asks you to verify your bid and also tells you that you are committing to pay for your item if you win.

There should be some kind of penalty for retractions if they are allowed, as well as a penalty of some kind if the bidder wins and doesn't pay.

BWD's (bidding while drunk's) or just being stupid or inconsiderate are not excuses.

This problem might not really have a solution, but that doesn't mean it should be ignored!

Joe
    2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    hammeredhammered Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭
    Bid retractions don't bother me. I'd rather they remove their bid than win and not pay.
  • Options
    SOMSOM Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭

<< <i> Is there anyone on these boards that can do anything about bid retracting? >>

Is there anyone on these boards that can do anything about half the topics that are discussed?

It's a discussion group, right?

???
  • Options
    Since my last suggestion was ignored, I'll put it like this:

Since eBay allows a Seller to cancel bids of a high bidder due to a low feedback, will they allow a Seller to cancel a bid if the current high bidder has numerous bid retractions?
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i> Is there anyone on these boards that can do anything about bid retracting? >>

Is there anyone on these boards that can do anything about half the topics that are discussed?

??? >>

I just scanned the first two pages of the boards and did not see one other thread in the category of "no one can do anything about this". There is a huge difference between discussion and whining. The quarter pounder reference was spot on.
  • Options

<< <i>I just scanned the first two pages of the boards and did not see one other thread in the category of "no one can do anything about this". There is a huge difference between discussion and whining. The quarter pounder reference was spot on. >>

The only hobby where successful people are shot down and everyone wants to drag each other down. Or maybe that is just exclusive to this board. Gotta love it!
  • Options
    ChiefsFan1stChiefsFan1st Posts: 845 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Bid retractions don't bother me. I'd rather they remove their bid than win and not pay. >>

+1000
    I dont wanna grow up, Im a Toys-R-Us kid!
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>I just scanned the first two pages of the boards and did not see one other thread in the category of "no one can do anything about this". There is a huge difference between discussion and whining. The quarter pounder reference was spot on. >>

The only hobby where successful people are shot down and everyone wants to drag each other down. Or maybe that is just exclusive to this board. Gotta love it! >>

Bobby, have you ever retracted an ebay bid?
  • Options
    TNP777TNP777 Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I can understand the frustration but complaining about ebay's shady policies is like complaining about a Quarter Pounder with Cheese not being chock full of vitamins and minerals. >>

POTD

Interesting discussion. Unfortunately, I have nothing of value to add to this discussion (looks at Bobby).

btw, Van Wilder says hello.
  • Options

<< <i>Interesting discussion. Unfortunately, I have nothing of value to add to this discussion (looks at Bobby). >>

Ahhh.....and someone else who hates me!!!! TNP has chimed in! My day is complete!
  • Options
    ClockworkAngelClockworkAngel Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

??? >>

Exactly. Half of the threads on this board are similar, just people bringing up issues with eBay, PSA, sellers on eBay, whining about Probstein, PSA's grading policies, etc. Is every thread created supposed to have a definite resolution?Most of them are self serving and many are basically group discussions to complain or whine about something. I don't know the history between the OP and a couple of you but it seems odd to be jumping down the OP's original post as if he has committed the ultimate sin
    The Clockwork Angel Collection...brought to you by Bank of America, Wells Fargo, and Chase
    TheClockworkAngelCollection
  • Options
    ChiefsFan1stChiefsFan1st Posts: 845 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>I can understand the frustration but complaining about ebay's shady policies is like complaining about a Quarter Pounder with Cheese not being chock full of vitamins and minerals. >>

POTD

Interesting discussion. Unfortunately, I have nothing of value to add to this discussion (looks at Bobby).

btw, Van Wilder says hello. >>

I dont wanna grow up, Im a Toys-R-Us kid!
  • Options
    TNP777TNP777 Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Ahhh.....and someone else who hates me!!!! TNP has chimed in! My day is complete! >>

Hate you? Hardly. Hate is a strong word, which I try to reserve for no man, especially one I "know" online. Heck, I don't even dislike you.

You do make me image and roll my eyes quite often. For the most part, I just find you and your rants amusing. IMO, you have great entertainment value in our little community. I would think most, if not all members who you think hate you feel pretty much the same way.

Have a great day, Mr. w8469.
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    I hate everyone and everything.

Good for you.
  • Options

<< <i>you don't like me. >>

If that were true, I probably would have responded to this thread with a comment about how the bid retractions on your auctions might be karma for shilling your Sport Kings consignments. But I didn't do that.
  • Options
    Set up your buyer requirements under site preferences and numerous bid retractions *should* fall under "reportedly violated eBay policies". Sure, it's vague and could potentially lose out on some sales BUT this frustration isn't worth it.

Problem solved.
  • Options

<< <i>Even Hammerin Hank's rookie card can't escape the bid retractors!!! How come there is no penalty for this sort of thing? >>

Not to whiz in anyone's sand box but it seems to me the forum rules are violated by this thread even with the inclusion of Adding Hank Aaron's name to this post. let me quote from the forum rules:

""Rule 6) This forum is about collecting trading cards and/or memorabilia. If your post is not directly related to trading cards and/or memorabilia, then this is the wrong forum. Do not post it or your posting privileges may be removed."

This thread is about Ebay and their practices and has nothing to do directly with collecting trading cards and other memorabilia.

Bobby, I believe you were one of the ones who applauded the posting of these rules and what it meant for the board. You have posted a thread on a subjuct that is not within the guidelines of the board policy and become indignant when others dont see it your way. Ebay is Ebay and there isnt much you can do about it except quit giving them your money. No need to rant here on the boards about this.
  • Options
    It's possible I don't fully understand the forum rules but I believe this thread is 100% on topic.
  • Options
    itzagoneritzagoner Posts: 8,753 ✭✭

<< <i>I hate everyone and everything. >>

image i need to send you a flower.
  • Options

<< <i>It's possible I don't fully understand the forum rules but I believe this thread is 100% on topic. >>

Again, not trying to choose up sides or pick an arguement....the topic is Ebay's retraction rules and NOT anything to do with sports cards. We could be talking about Harry Potter videos, Hank Aaron rookies or even PEZ dispensers but the crux of the thread is how can Ebay allow a large amount of bid retractions on their auctions and not sports related cards or memorabilia.

Yeah, I am being a bit nit picky here but.........
  • Options
    Every member of this forum uses Ebay for buying and/or selling sports cards and/or memorabilia.

Any topic on this forum about Ebay would therefore be directly related to sports cards and/or memorabilia.

At least that's how I see it.
  • Options

<< <i>Every member of this forum uses Ebay for buying and/or selling sports cards and/or memorabilia.

Any topic on this forum about Ebay would therefore be directly related to sports cards and/or memorabilia.

At least that's how I see it. >>

I think we interpret the forum rules differently but in the end it really doesnt matter!! image
  • Options
    JHS5120JHS5120 Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭

<< <i>It's possible I don't fully understand the forum rules but I believe this thread is 100% on topic. >>

+1

While I may not be have the most astute understanding of law, I think it's safe to safe this is allowed under the "rules".

Bobby, I feel your pain. Look at it this way though, a retracted bid is much more pleasant than a non-paying bidder!
    My eBay Store =)

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." Dr. Seuss
  • Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,267 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Since my last suggestion was ignored, I'll put it like this:

Since eBay allows a Seller to cancel bids of a high bidder due to a low feedback, will they allow a Seller to cancel a bid if the current high bidder has numerous bid retractions? >>

I like this idea. I would like to take it a step further and after 1 or 2 retractions bidders bid is automatically cancelled before it affects the auction.

Actually anything that can be done would be better than nothing. Everyone seems to hate shill bidding, isn't retracting a bid a form of (or one way to) shill bidding?

Joe
    2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    handymanhandyman Posts: 5,247 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "It would have been a all time VCP record"
    1300 for a SGC 5 1954 Hank aaron sounds like a bid that could have been an error. Maybe thats why he retracted. Seems like an error bid to me.
  • Options
    alnavmanalnavman Posts: 4,129 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>I even offer them no negatives if they at least let me know that they screwed up and really didn't want the card(s) >>

Sellers haven't been able to leave negative feedback for buyers since 2008. >>

made it easier for me to not leave negative feedbacksimage