Home Precious Metals

Where do you guys buy your bullion?

PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,301 ✭✭✭✭✭
Other than eBay, BST, or your local dealer, where do you guys buy your gold or silver bullion coins and bars? Are there any dealers that you favor over all the others? Who has the best prices? Thanks.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

Comments

• derrybderryb Posts: 36,118 ✭✭✭✭✭
    for best prices in quantity I use tulving.com. Their website is not the greatest, orders have to be purchased over the phone. Wire transfer works best for quick, free delivery.

I also buy from silvertown, gainesvillecoins, moderncoinmart and dbs coins.

I have found some good specials at onlygold.com and conducted transactions there with no problems.

The decline from democracy to tyranny is both a natural and inevitable one.

• nibannynibanny Posts: 2,761
    I buy small quantities and most of my purchases are from ProvidentMetal, I found they have the best prices around. Though, they don't have a big inventory/variety like others.
    I have been happy with Goldmart.com and Goldeneaglecoins.com too.

I shop at Apmex only when they have something for my collection that I cannot find anywhere else. Their prices are too high.

The member formerly known as Ciccio / Posts: 1453 / Joined: Apr 2009
  • JohnnyCacheJohnnyCache Posts: 1,664 ✭✭✭✭✭
    For some gold I have dealt with a local rep of gainesvillecoins who is located in the Northeast

For direct refiner/producer of silver I have used Monarch PM's

Off ebay I have used Modern Coin Mart (also on one occasion I used Apmex when I could not find a particular item elsewhere, but they are generally very pricey)
  • OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I buy from APMEX or Provident when they have some sort of sale or discount on their s&h fee for their bullion products because of the ease, unlike Tulving, in ordering their products. I've never had an issue with either one. Silvertowne and Scottsdale is another dealer that I've purchased from in the past w/o any issues.
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • mhammermanmhammerman Posts: 3,769 ✭✭✭
    APMEX, local shows, B&M. Used to buy from the USM but it's so expensive now to shop there but I did get a fractional buff set there a few years ago and a few other nice items that have gone up considerably.
  • nibannynibanny Posts: 2,761
    I used to buy from Gainesville too but I have had some issues with the payment process and I couldn't figure out how to fix it, neither they were able to help me. They lost one customer.
    I remember they were good.
    The member formerly known as Ciccio / Posts: 1453 / Joined: Apr 2009
  • tneigtneig Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭
    I've been buying local B&M and Pawn shops and even some craigslist. Some really great deals too by the way.
    And 'some' from Apmex, Monarch, ebay, silver bullet, etc. to a much smaller percentage. 2 or 3 things off the BST thread.
    I think I've been safe so far, but then who would know for sure since the fakes are so good, along with all the other crxp.
    Be cautious of every deal.

However with recent awareness of fakes and fraud and cheats I'll have to start changing my trend. More saving up for larger quantities
    and buy from the the bigger, more reputable dealers (at sale prices and on shipping deals). Doesn't mean I'll not buy from local or personal, just being more careful.

Be nice to hear about how some have been stung for knowledge sake, but that is a sensitive subject.
    The most I've been con'ed so far as I know is;
    Overpaid, a lite piece, poor quality, poor advice. Once on ebay an entire roll of quarters never arrived, but the seller made good.
    COA
  • C0INB0YC0INB0Y Posts: 627 ✭✭
    Local first, then ModernCoinMart
    I was ‘COINB0Y' with 4812 posts and ‘Expert Collector’ ranking (Joined in 2006).
  • piecesofmepiecesofme Posts: 6,669 ✭✭✭
    Other than eBay, BST, or your local dealer, where do you guys buy your gold or silver bullion coins and bars?

Are you asking because this place seems to be drying out? I'm not complaining but the BST here has really leveled off, at least for me. Admittedly my asking prices may be slightly high, but they are still in-line with what I see others asking...also I am always willing to negotiate a bit within reason. I've even taken a loss at times just to keep the moneyflow going.

Anyway, enough of my soapbox. I guess I am fortunate to have around a dozen B&M's that are within reasonable driving distance, and there is a monthly show that typically 80+ tables each time. I don't deal with every B&M because some of them are just flat out jerks. I've done some local craiglist deals too, but only a few.
    There's a couple other websites I'm on that have BST's too and have done several deals there.
    As far as the other bigger Metal houses previously mentioned by others, I stay away. Main reason being is that I can do alot better dealing locally and that they usually require you to purchase bigger quantities than I care to just to save .50/item. Not worth it to me.
    To forgive is to free a prisoner, and to discover that prisoner was you.
  • JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Local- David Nazzaro or CNI (gold dealer.com) which is national

MJ
    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • guitarwesguitarwes Posts: 9,237 ✭✭✭
    Mostly the BST's and ProvidentMetals. Always no problems. I've bought from Tulving 3 times with no problems.

I occasionally throw out a WTB ad on craigslist and have limited response as of late. Thought in the past I have done several big deals with fellow craigslisters.
    @ Elite CNC Routing & Woodworks on Facebook. Check out my work.
    Too many positive BST transactions with too many members to list.
  • PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,301 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the many responses. I've done well buying from Provident and the BST but I'm always looking for other options. I've bought from Monarch but they don't take personal checks and going to the bank to buy a chashiers check is a pain. I've also bought from APMEX but they are a bit more expensive than others. POM---I agree that there isn't much action on the BST these days but that might be a result of the low PM prices these days.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,309 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you can afford the minimums, then Tulving is usually the most competitive for purchases.

I've sold silver to Silvertowne at shows for good prices easily, and I've bought some slabbed platinum from them as well.

I've bought bullion from Scotsman in St. Louis most recently, and they are competitive.

Provident is a good source for bullion, and SBSS just sold me some nice silver at what I believe to be reasonable pricing. I give them the benefit of the doubt on their delayed shipment due to unexpected high demand and startup bottlenecks in production. If that happens again, I'll change my mind.

I buy from the Mint, but usually only at the beginning of the offering, because I don't want dealer's returns.

Modern Coin Mart has given me great service and reasonable pricing on some slabbed platinum.

Great Collections has offered some nice deals in the past on MS-70 FS slabbed modern bullion, but only when it is still being offered by the Mint (while the premiums are still low on that specific material). It helped to eliminate the guesswork in obtaining some key low mintage coins before they became the keys.

I'd consider Harlan Berk if I ran out of other ideas, they were good to purchase some slabbed platinum from.

I've ordered successfully from both Gaithersburg and from Dallas Gold & Silver in the past, but it's been awhile.

Apmex is comparatively high, but I've bought from them with no problem in delivery.

NW Territorial Mint would be my very last choice, but I've detailed their foot-dragging and poor delivery on other occasions.
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Provident or APMEX.

Provident usually has better prices but less selection.
  • bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nobody likes Bullion Direct? Check them out ASE's are 31.70 each today from the catalog and same price at nucleo. I think the prices are better than provident , shipping is slower and more money but if you buy on nucleo you have some flexibility on that.

Not super customer friendly but anyone that buys from tulving won't complain image
  • CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,499 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A good local B&M that I know, which for 21 years until I retired from there was Harlan J. Berk, Ltd.
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I usually buy my pallets of 400 oz gold bars directly from central banks, while my silver ingots are mostly recovered from the sea floor by one of my deep sea salvage teams

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,499 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I usually buy my pallets of 400 oz gold bars directly from central banks, while my silver ingots are mostly recovered from the sea floor by one of my deep sea salvage teams >>

Yes, it is getting deep in here.....
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • joefrojoefro Posts: 1,872 ✭✭

<< <i>Nobody likes Bullion Direct? Check them out ASE's are 31.70 each today from the catalog and same price at nucleo. I think the prices are better than provident , shipping is slower and more money but if you buy on nucleo you have some flexibility on that.

Not super customer friendly but anyone that buys from tulving won't complain image >>

Goldmart.com has really been having great prices lately. That's where I got my Canadian Wood Bisons. They have WAAY better shipping costs than Provident or Apmex. Today ASEs are only $31.32 and S/H is only $5.95. Not bad at all. Other than that I usually get my PMs at local coin shows or other forums. Always looking for Libertads...
    Lincoln Cent & Libertad Collector