Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

As much as I like color on a Morgan, nothing beats a true Black & White.

Wabbit2313Wabbit2313 Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

Comments

• Options
    bolivarshagnastybolivarshagnasty Posts: 7,350 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Your coin?? 68/69 DMPL??
  • Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭
    gotta be a proof

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options
    bolivarshagnastybolivarshagnasty Posts: 7,350 ✭✭✭✭✭
    yeah, your right. Wasn't thinking.
  • Options

Yep, it's mine. I decided to take a couple shots of it. Can you believe I have never sent it in!
  • Options
    SeattleSlammerSeattleSlammer Posts: 9,959 ✭✭✭✭✭
    paperweight?
  • Options

<< <i>paperweight? >>

Funny! Wouldn't it be Sweet for them to mistake it for a DMPL??!!
  • Options
    ConstantineConstantine Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭
    What the heck is that?????
  • Options
    blu62vetteblu62vette Posts: 11,901 ✭✭✭✭✭
    California Cameo, polished and whizzed.
    http://www.bluccphotos.com" target="new">BluCC Photos Shows for onsite imaging: Nov Baltimore, FUN, Long Beach http://www.facebook.com/bluccphotos" target="new">BluCC on Facebook
  • Options
    cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,622 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>California Cameo, polished and whizzed. >>

yup.
    Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

• Options

No it's not! WOW!!

Just a proof at an angle. And a nice one!

• Options
    BustHalfBrianBustHalfBrian Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭
    Even if it is a proof, the surfaces are iffy...

It looks like it's been tooled.
    Lurking and learning since 2010. Full-time professional numismatist.
  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,225 ✭✭✭✭✭
    larger pictures?
    Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    Maybe larger and straight on pictures.
    http://www.bluccphotos.com" target="new">BluCC Photos Shows for onsite imaging: Nov Baltimore, FUN, Long Beach http://www.facebook.com/bluccphotos" target="new">BluCC on Facebook
  • Options
    commoncents05commoncents05 Posts: 10,078 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Maybe larger and straight on pictures. >>

I agree. Has the classic "eBay tilt" hiding any flaws.

-Paul
    Many Quality coins for sale at http://www.CommonCentsRareCoins.com
  • Options
    bestclser1bestclser1 Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭
    This one i would need to see in hand,you FIND the time to send this in if its the real deal!image
    Great coins are not cheap,and cheap coins are not great!
  • Options

<< <i>Yep, it's mine. I decided to take a couple shots of it. Can you believe I have never sent it in! >>

Yes.

Best wishes,
    Eric
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow...if that is real.... amazing. That truly needs to be sent in for grading..Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is an understatement:

There are lots of good coins that have never been seen by any TPG, yet.
  • Options
    LeeBoneLeeBone Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Send it in, either here or across the street and post the results. You have more than a few of us wanting to see what they say.
  • Options
    WindycityWindycity Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭✭✭
    WE need better pictures... or send it in via the walkthrough service (2 days) and let us know how it grades.

<a target=new class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.mullencoins.com">Mullen Coins Website - Windycity Coin website
  • Options
    HighReliefHighRelief Posts: 3,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice one Wabbit, looks like it would grade PR66 DCAM to me.
  • Options

<< <i>Yep, it's mine. I decided to take a couple shots of it. Can you believe I have never sent it in! >>

Can you share any story behind this coin? If this coin is genuine and looks like the photos while in hand, I can't imagine how I would have never sent it in!
  • Options
    It is very difficult to tell why there is the "ebay tilt" on that coin. Is there a cleaning being hidden, or is it a deep proof?
  • Options
    What a doll!image
    Ilikacoinsawholebuncha
  • Options
    WTCGWTCG Posts: 8,940 ✭✭✭

<< <i>California Cameo, polished and whizzed. >>

I was thinking the same thing.
    Follow me on Twitter @wtcgroup
    Authorized dealer for PCGS, PCGS Currency, NGC, NCS, PMG, CAC. Member of the PNG, ANA. Member dealer of CoinPlex and CCE/FACTS as "CH5"
  • Options
    morgansforevermorgansforever Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The fields don't look deep enough for a proof. Something about it just doesn't look right.
    Maybe it's the image, dunno.
    World coins FSHO Hundreds of successful BST transactions U.S. coins FSHO
  • Options
    That second photo you posted shows what looks like a really rough or scraped up bottom chin that doesn't look right. The whole coin does have an odd finish to me but it could be the photos.
  • Options
    KyleKyle Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Wow...if that is real.... amazing. That truly needs to be sent in for grading >>

I agree
    Successful BST Transactions With: tonedase, streg2, airplanenut, coindeuce, vibr0nic, natetrook, Shrub68, golden, Lakesammman, drddm, Ilikecolor, CoinJunkie, wondercoin, lablover
  • Options
    relicsncoinsrelicsncoins Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Based on the rim and deticles, I would say it is a proof. Whether it's been messed with is another question.
    Need a Barber Half with ANACS photo certificate. If you have one for sale please PM me. Current Ebay auctions
  • Options

Better photo's? The pro's wish they could take these! image

• Options
    Tdec1000Tdec1000 Posts: 3,851 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Better photo's? The pro's wish they could take these! image

image >>

That's better! Wow nice coin...
    Awarded the coveted "You Suck" Award on 22 Oct 2010 for finding a 1942/1 D Dime in silver, and on 7 Feb 2011 Cherrypicking a 1914 MPL Cent on Ebay!

Successful BST Transactions!SIconbuster, Meltdown, Mission16, slothman2000, RGjohn, braddick, au58lover, allcoinsrule, commemdude, gerard, lablade, PCcoins, greencopper, kaz, tydye, cucamongacoin, mkman123, SeaEaglecoins, Doh!, AnkurJ, Airplanenut, ArizonaJack, JJM,Tee135,LordMarcovan, Swampboy, piecesofme, Ahrensdad,
  • Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,887 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is there a story to the coin? How it was acquired, when, from whom? Was it ever TPG-graded?

Why aren't the pictures shot square? Sure looks odd oval.
    Lance.
  • Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭
    the images are big and clear but ironically enough not sufficient to be 100% imo.

i'm leaning towards proof but a little uneasy after seeing the images enlarged

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options

I was wondering how long it would take for someone to say there is something wrong with the chin. There is, the same thing that is wrong with all of them!

Apparently, it is against forum rules to own a nice ungraded coin? My kids know what to do if something happens to me. Outside of that, she only needs grading if I want to sell it.
  • Options
    stealerstealer Posts: 3,968 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I was wondering how long it would take for someone to say there is something wrong with the chin. There is, the same thing that is wrong with all of them! >>

Yes, the banded chin. It is a proof coin. Nothing wrong with owning a nice ungraded coin, but it exacerbates the process of evaluating the coin when proper images aren't provided. Taking a set head-on will help.
  • Options

I thought I was pretty strait. You have to angle some on a proof or it looks really strange and dark. At least Morgans. So many are ugly nasty toning, thus a clean white one apparently looks wrong, at least from the comments here.
  • Options
    stmanstman Posts: 11,352 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Stainless steel looking Morganimageimage
    Please... Save The Stories, Just Answer My Questions, And Tell Me How Much!!!!!
  • Options

<< <i>I thought I was pretty strait. You have to angle some on a proof or it looks really strange and dark. At least Morgans. So many are ugly nasty toning, thus a clean white one apparently looks wrong, at least from the comments here. >>

You do not need to angle the coin. Straight on would allow us to see the fields, hairlines etc. What you have provided is a mock glamour shot. The provided shots are still titled just enough to hide something.

Now with the larger pics it looks much less like a Cal Cameo and that is a very good thing.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>I thought I was pretty strait. You have to angle some on a proof or it looks really strange and dark. At least Morgans. So many are ugly nasty toning, thus a clean white one apparently looks wrong, at least from the comments here. >>

You do not need to angle the coin. Straight on would allow us to see the fields, hairlines etc. What you have provided is a mock glamour shot. The provided shots are still titled just enough to hide something.

Now with the larger pics it looks much less like a Cal Cameo and that is a very good thing. >>

Mock glamour shot? Hide something. What is this, a trial?? Just posting pics of a nice coin.
  • Options
    GeminiGemini Posts: 3,085
    The coin it is beautiful but at the same time I have an uneasy gut feeling about it and I can't figure out what it is maybe the chrome look of it? I dunno not sure maybe I haven't seen that many Morgan proofs mainly deep mirror proof likes I'm hoping that it's the real deal.
    A thing of beauty is a joy for ever
  • Options

The reason for the thread was how cool I think B&W Morgans look. I still think that!

• Options
    Here is come black and white straight on for you, die polish, nicks, hits, pitting.....

• Options

<< <i>The reason for the thread was how cool I think B&W Morgans look. I still think that! >>

reverse? image

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options

<< <i>Here is come black and white straight on for you, die polish, nicks, hits, pitting.....
    >>

Let me see you angle that coin and make it look nice. You just won't give up. Whatever makes you happy. I think its funny to watch someone go to such extremes rather than admit he was wrong, or just stay quiet! image
  • Options
    imageimage ?
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Here is come black and white straight on for you, die polish, nicks, hits, pitting.....
    >>

Let me see you angle that coin and make it look nice. You just won't give up. Whatever makes you happy. I think its funny to watch someone go to such extremes rather than admit he was wrong, or just stay quiet! image >>

I was just posting a black and white coin since that is what the thread.

I dont have any angle shots, this is another look, but not what I prefer.

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>The reason for the thread was how cool I think B&W Morgans look. I still think that! >>

reverse? image >>

• Options
    those marks to the viewer's right of the eagle out in the field, NE of the arrow points, seem soft and mushy.

I'm worried, too.

but I'm no morganologist either.
  • Options
    however, the rim and denticles do seem very proof indicative. I'm not sure why others would say it isn't a proof.

btw, I like the contrast, too.
  • Options
    Hello,

When I first saw the subject coin, it had 3 responses at most. I was going to reply "I could go swimming in that!", but I did not because I thought it looked "fake" or "altered" - in any case wrong. Odd surface. Orange peely, with strangeness around some stars, weird bit(es) to the right of the eagle etc. I don't claim to know Proof Morgans, just a passing dalliance with an alleged 95 in threads past, but the coin seems odd, with some weirdness on the surfaces, fields, the stuff under the chin. It has the denticles, the square appearance of numerals...and some odd chrome look that unsettles me with the above observations noted. This is from images only.

Best wishes,
    Eric

Edit for spelling.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file