Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

PCGS Slab Restoration Process with pics as promised in another thread.

bolivarshagnastybolivarshagnasty Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭✭✭
First, let me say that I am sure there a other ways to arrive at this with different materials that could be used. The subject coin started life as a nice bright 43 steel cent in 66. I left it in a cabinet that had been painted with enamel paint, and as you see, the coin eventually corroded in the slab. But this is about scratching and then restoring the window so lets move on.
I then scratched the surface with my trusty 4" Craftsman screwdriver.
And then I stood on the slab and rotated 90 degrees. image
I now have some pretty serious condition issues with the slab window. The recovery process started with wet sanding the window with 500 grit automotive paper. Only wetted the paper itself and try and contain
the moisture at the window. When finished, you should have a flat slab with no imperfections present with the exception of the 500 grit sanding marks.
Continue the process with 800, 1500, and 2000 grit automotive paper.
You'll notice that subsequent sandings reveal more and more of the coin.
After the 2000 grit sanding, it's on to the buffer with some white rouge. Takes less than a minute to bring the clear back out on the window. Buffed with the rouge, and then moved over to the "clean" buffing
pad. You may still have to remove some compound from the crevices of the slab, but the window will be bright. At no time does the slab increase in temp. If it does, your bearing down too much.
Now I understand that not everybody has experience in this sort of thing, or has a buffer at their disposal. I wanted everyone to know that the window on slabs can be saved with the proper equipment
and technique. I have also removed those rub spots that you see when you get your slabs back from the Auction houses. They are actually not that deep as the scratches that I put in this window.
As I mentioned in the other thread, I think the worst case scenario is to heat up the slab and coin thus wicking in moisture from the outside. When I performed this process on some of my better coins,
I taped up the label areas, and around the circumference of the slab with tape to prevent any damage to the slab or coin. Thanks for looking in!! Mel

Comments

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file