Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

My appologies...another newp

jayPemjayPem Posts: 4,047 ✭✭✭✭✭
Forgive me if I seem to be flooding this forum...it's just that I've picked up a few neat pieces recently and can't help myself image

One of my main areas of focus on the light side is late die state bust stuff, so I just had to pick up this lovely Peso !

Also, a general question for this forum...I have a few better world coins that are slabbed, but my collection of crowns and Latin American pieces are all raw.
My intention is to crack this one out (along with my recent 960 reis) and let them join the herd.
Niether coin is expensive...any one have any compeling reasons for keeping mid grade coins like this slabbed ? ( obviously it's a personal decision, but I'm interested in what others do also )

Comments

• Options
    JCMhoustonJCMhouston Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭
    Very nice, I like that big obverse die break. And it doesn't mean much but I keep almost all my coins slabbed, even the really cheap ones. They are protected, and if something happens to me they are a much easier sell than raw for my heirs.
  • Options
    Jinx86Jinx86 Posts: 3,671 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I almost think I would crack this one and give it a rinse in acetone. What does the green on the rev look like in hand?

Killer die break by the way.
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,215 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No need to apologize for that one! The only reason you might have appeared to have been "flooding the forum" is that this place has been way too slow lately, and we need some more folks to flood it with coin posts like this and liven things up!

I like the color. I too do not care particularly for the spots on the eagle, but they're not awful, I guess. I do say you should try to carefully work on those areas (perhaps with a toothpick or rose thorn, after an acetone application), once you crack it out.

I'd have left it slabbed but for the temptation to tinker with it ("out, out, damn spot" and all that).

Be sure you don't do anything that would mess up the otherwise nice original color on it.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    marcmoishmarcmoish Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Don't apoligize - nice to see some sharing even if just for show lots can be learnt - grading, type, history do's and don't and what not...

Looks Ef40 or maybe 45 and I would NOT clean a circ piece like this one.
    personally I agree would rather have a circ piece in hand than slabbed - more to feel and all - once you reach AU-MS you wanrt to preserve the grade etc.

JMHO
  • Options
    bidaskbidask Posts: 13,865 ✭✭✭✭✭
    yes crack it out!
    I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• Options
    ZoharZohar Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very nice thanks for sharing!
  • Options

<< <i>Don't apoligize - nice to see some sharing even if just for show lots can be learnt - grading, type, history do's and don't and what not...

Looks Ef40 or maybe 45 and I would NOT clean a circ piece like this one.
    personally I agree would rather have a circ piece in hand than slabbed - more to feel and all - once you reach AU-MS you wanrt to preserve the grade etc.

JMHO >>

This is how I feel exactly...unless the spot is definite PVC, it stays. Verdigris is alright with me !
    Many of the pieces I'm collecting in this series are crusty to say the least, but it is the look I'm after in this case.
    The collection is primarily made up of chopped and counterstamped pieces that have seen some use !
    Since by definition these pieces are already " damaged", there really is no need to slab them.

Eventually I would like to add a few AU/MS pieces, host types that I like the most ( pillar $, some other 8 reales pieces...)
    these will almost certainly be slabbed .

Thanks for the replies !
  • Options
    coinlieutenantcoinlieutenant Posts: 9,305 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Whoa, whoa, whoa. Darkside? Really?
  • Options

<< <i>Whoa, whoa, whoa. Darkside? Really? >>

They got die cracks over here too, don't they ? Sheesh...image
  • Options
    theboz11theboz11 Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭

Never apologize for posting a picture, we have to few of them.image
  • Options
    mkman123mkman123 Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭✭
    thats beautiful and I like it
    Successful Buying and Selling transactions with:

Many members on this forum that now it cannot fit in my signature. Please ask for entire list.