Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

World Errors

Post your world errors! With an explanation too if you'd like to share how it came to be.

I'll start with my NEWP 1996 Canada $2 misaligned core. This happens when the centre core doesn't lock correctly in place. The core slid on top of the outer ring and striking in this position resulted in the odd shape (oblong on top, oval on the bottom). The visible portion of the core is larger on the reverse and smaller on the reverse. It was out of alignment enough to result in a crescent shaped blank space between the core and ring on one side.

http://stores.ebay.ca/Mattscoin - Canadian coins, World Coins, Silver, Gold, Coin lots, Modern Mint Products & Collections

Comments

• lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,194 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's a very neat Twoonie error. What do those go for, ballpark? I know they've got a following of some kind, because I seem to recall stumbling across a page or two devoted to them somewhere in cyberspace.

I don't have any offhand. Once had an off-center George IV (182?) British shilling, and a few modern Mexican o/c's I bought for a song, but that's about it.

Oh yeah- I once cherrypicked a modern Aussie 10c with a rotated reverse out of a bulk bag, and sold it here on the forums, a few years back. I never would have seen that, but I had put the coin into a cardboard 2x2 and so noticed that the reverse was about 45-ish (or 270-ish) degrees out of kilter with the obverse.

PS- your OP coin looks like an eclipse. Cool. image

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • PokermandudePokermandude Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭
    It depends on the severity of the misalignment. Those with the visible crescent-shaped gap are much more desirable. Somewhat misaligned pieces might only go for $15-30. A piece like mine I'd value at somewhere around $120-150. Pricing errors is even more of an art than coin grading though!
    http://stores.ebay.ca/Mattscoin - Canadian coins, World Coins, Silver, Gold, Coin lots, Modern Mint Products & Collections
  • Jinx86Jinx86 Posts: 3,666 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just saw a Canadian Dollar struck on a half dollar planchet. The guy who found it said he picked it out of a dollar/coin bucket off a dealers table. He sent it in to PCGS to authenticate and it came back with the error denotation and with a nice grade. I should have taken a pic.
  • PokermandudePokermandude Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Just saw a Canadian Dollar struck on a half dollar planchet. >>

Very nice. Canadian wrong planchet errors are quite scarce, especially the larger denominations. Was it a 1968-1986 voyageur canoe design, or a 1987-date loon? If it was a loon dollar, it will be even more valuable due to it being off-metal.

I guess it pays to poke through the junk image
  • SYRACUSIANSYRACUSIAN Posts: 6,445 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i> Pricing errors is even more of an art than coin grading though! >>

This is so true. There was a 2 euro coin minted in Greece, very similar to your error $2 coin, and its Chinese seller was asking $2000 for it, until the monthly auction eventually ended with no takers. I've seen the most bizarre shapes and forms in post 1976 Greek coins, to the extent that I wonder if they were made on purpose to create rarities. After all, how could such odd shapes escape the final quality control? Until recently, you could buy these coins for very little money, but now they might have a small following to make them realize $100-$150.

Errors on 19th century coins is a different story. Unfortunately, I rarely look at them so closely to discover them. The rotated reverse of the kind that lordmarcovan cherrypicked is a very common error on all sorts of coins, but it has to be a recorded (or unrecorded) variety of medal alignment (180 degrees) to bring the big bucks, otherwise it usually sells at practically no premium.
    Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
  • lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,194 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I didn't make big money on that Aussie 10c error I mentioned- maybe 25 bucks or so. But considering I had plucked it from a bulk lot for ten cents or so, it wasn't a bad cherrypick. image

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • ajaanajaan Posts: 17,070 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Oh yeah- I once cherrypicked a modern Aussie 10c with a rotated reverse out of a bulk bag, and sold it here on the forums, a few years back >>

One of mine?

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Here's one of mine

Can't get the attach file to workimage
  • silverpopsilverpop Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1883 Spanish/Philippine silver 20 centavos (partly filled 8)

• Lets try again.

Here is the reverse.

• Let's try again.

Here is the reverse.

• Cool thread. I will try to take some photos tomorrow and post a few coins. Gotta love those "junk bin" error finds.
  • mnemtsas2mnemtsas2 Posts: 745 ✭✭✭
    I have a large number of world errors, most of them (not unexpectedly) Australian. Here's a few of the more recent ones to enter my sphere of influence image

1964 Zambian Shilling with a security edge. Should have a plain milled edge. Clearly struck on an incorrect planchet.

2005 Australian Dollar Broadstrike

1936 British West Africa 1d muled with 1936 East Africa 10c

1965 New Zealand 6d "broken wing"

Successful trades with Syracusian, DeiGratia, LordM, WWW, theboz11, CCC2010, Hyperion, ajaan, wybrit, Dennis88 and many others.
  • Great errors! Especially liked the "muled" one.
  • Just in case nobody had noticed, my entry wasn't a dulpicate post, that is both sides of the same coin image
  • olmanjonolmanjon Posts: 1,187
    Wow-I studied that coin top to bottom and couldn't find an error. Thanks for posting the duplication error.
    Olmanjon
    Proud recipiant of the Lord M "you suck award-March-2008"
    http://bit.ly/bxi7py
  • ColinCMRColinCMR Posts: 1,482 ✭✭✭
    i've found a few minor errors in circ and in mixed world bags, nothing too spectacular