Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

New Estate Sale So Called Dollar Pickup

ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,906 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited March 23, 2023 9:44PM in U.S. Coin Forum
I've been a SCD fan for a while and while this isn't exactly a SCD, I decided I wanted to pick it up. I'm told it's literally from an estate sale.

Let me know what you think.

Comments

• Options
    DUIGUYDUIGUY Posts: 7,252 ✭✭✭

“A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly."

- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 106-43 BC
  • Options
    SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So much hope that the medal exudes - the war that would end all wars because it was so horrible. In reality it was just a war that sprouted many more wars down the road - the worst of which, WWII, was far worse.
    In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice find, I would have bought that as well....Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    coindeucecoindeuce Posts: 13,472 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That is an exceptional find. 99% of that issue was holed for suspension on a ribbon/pin bar assembly. The medal (DUIGUY's) is actually quite scarce as is, for a usually common issue. I didn't expect that the die had survived this long. image

"Everything is on its way to somewhere. Everything." - George Malley, Phenomenon
    http://www.americanlegacycoins.com

• Options
    VeepVeep Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭✭
    My brother found one of those with his metal detector-- a WWI Victory Medal, designed by James Earle Fraser I believe.
    "Let me tell ya Bud, you can buy junk anytime!"
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,515 ✭✭✭✭✭
    id grab one myself if found. sure, why not.
  • Options
    Great Find!
    All the best,

Rob

Successful Trades with: Coincast, MICHAELDIXON

Successful Purchases from: Manorcourtman, Meltdown
  • Options
    What is it made of? What is it worth? How the heck do you find a customer for that thing, should you ever want to sell it?
  • Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I believe the OP is meaning to say that he picked up the obverse die used to strike these medals, I noticed it listed on eBay last week and it ended with one bid.
  • Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,906 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks everyone. I thought it was a neat find and I'm glad to have the opportunity to be its caretaker image

@DUIGUY: That's a sweet example and a great find as well. The best I've seen image

@SaorAlba: I agree. I particularly like war/peace items. Trying times brings out the best, and the worst, in people. It's important to remember the good things.

@coindeuce: It was unexpected for me as well but it was an easy item to bid on. Sometimes you see something and you just feel the need to bid.

@Darwin: I'm not sure what it's made of but it's kindling my interest. Like most things, it's worth what someone is willing to pay for it and what someone is willing to let it go for.

@keets: I'd like to say I was surprised it ended with 1 bid but I had an inkling interest would be low. That suits me just fine.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file