Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

2013-W Enhanced Uncirculated Finish ASE

7over87over8 Posts: 4,733 ✭✭✭
Per Mint News Blog and About.com coins, pics available of the 2013-W Enhanced Uncirculated Finish ASE to accompany the Reverse Proof Coin in the special two coin set this year......

IMO - very nice - hopefully someone can post a link to the article for all to see......let me try....

Link

Comments

• Options
    nibannynibanny Posts: 2,761
    Thanks for posting!
    That is gonna be a cool set.

Unlimited mintage?
    The member formerly known as Ciccio / Posts: 1453 / Joined: Apr 2009
  • Options
    Seems like same selling format as last years SF 2 Piece set

Open orders for a specified period (1 month) mint to demand.
  • Options
    thanks RYK!!!
  • Options
    I suppose our forum sponsors will be thinking about "SP" (specimen) designations for this "enhanced" coin?
  • Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very nice, I like it !!! image
    Timbuk3
  • Options
    ConstantineConstantine Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭
    I tend to think this new finish takes some of the wow factor away from the reverse proofs. Anyone agree? Disagree?
  • Options
    smokincoinsmokincoin Posts: 2,631 ✭✭✭
    Kinda makes Liberty look like she's been cut in half. image I'll take one. image
  • Options
    MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 5,310 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gentlemen, and the two or so ladies on the boards,

clear your CC's and prepare for the onslaught of multiple threads and flipping news on the EUFASE!
    Now riding the swell in PM's and surf.
  • Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,475 ✭✭✭✭
    What happened to the "other" thread on this monstrosity? image
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    coinsarefuncoinsarefun Posts: 21,666 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Gentlemen, and the two or so ladies on the boards,

clear your CC's and prepare for the onslaught of multiple threads and flipping news on the EUFASE! >>

I have been expecting something like this for 8 month'simage

• Options
    HalfStrikeHalfStrike Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭
    I think the background won't be as dark as the photo shows, these should look even better in hand.
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,564 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>What happened to the "other" thread on this monstrosity? image >>

Indeed!
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,219 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>What happened to the "other" thread on this monstrosity? image >>

Indeed! >>

poofed! ??

I don't know why.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    looks like a mint error.

Why do they keep doing this to us?

What is special about this year's special set? someone's birthday? an ASE for the 100th year since the buffalo nickel?

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    JaLPJaLP Posts: 199 ✭✭✭
    Occassion: 25th anniversary of West Point becoming Official Mint, not just bullion depository.
  • Options

<< <i>Occassion: 25th anniversary of West Point becoming Official Mint, not just bullion depository. >>

Why don't they put a W mint mark on it? O, wait.....they did.
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    Yikes.

Not for me. Seems gimmicky and without dignity. Might make flippers some money but I will certainly pass.

One step away from the colorized stuff IMO. The coinage of this great country should be better than that.
  • Options
    If I were Mr. Weinman I'd be sick. Like painting the woodwork in a Craftsman home.

• Options
    SNMANSNMAN Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭
    imageimage
    Positive Transactions with: justindan; Drunner; Segoja, Dragon, fivecents, Connecticoin, WTCG, gsa1fan, abitofthisabitofthat; commoncents05;Broadstruck; and ......more
  • Options
    I'm surprised at the positive posts.

So, are colorized and/or hologram coins now acceptable?

Is it because the Mint does it, therefore they aren't aftermarket altered?

((I found some hologram bullion for $60. It couldn't be price gouging since the mint would likely sell one for $70 and you'd get some box in a box with it.))
  • Options
    That is awesome.
  • Options
    AkbeezAkbeez Posts: 2,689 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am an SAE fan -- but the low resolution pics shown are not convincing me the quality of finish. I hope there are better pics soon that show this more accurately. It could be spectacular -- or not.

...and NO COLORS... enough from the Canadian and Aus Mints. Silver needs to stay true.
    Refs: MCM,Fivecents,Julio,Robman,Endzone,Coiny,Agentjim007,Musky1011,holeinone1972,Tdec1000,Type2,bumanchu, Metalsman,Wondercoin,Pitboss,Tomohawk,carew4me,segoja,thebigeng,jlc_coin,mbogoman,sportsmod,dragon,tychojoe,Schmitz7,claychaser,and many OTHERS
  • Options
    mikeygmikeyg Posts: 1,002

For those of us who choose to buy this set....it is unfortunate that if they decide to do the one month ordering thing,you wont get to see it in hand,until after the ordering period is closed.
  • Options
    I want one!!!!! or 4.
  • Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,910 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I'm surprised at the positive posts.

So, are colorized and/or hologram coins now acceptable?

Is it because the Mint does it, therefore they aren't aftermarket altered?

((I found some hologram bullion for $60. It couldn't be price gouging since the mint would likely sell one for $70 and you'd get some box in a box with it.)) >>

The purists tend to like circulation coins only. The Mint has been making collector coins along the lines of proofs and commemoratives for a long time.
  • Options
    ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,609 ✭✭✭✭✭
    They will look great in three months when they "naturally tone" into reds purples blues greens oranges and violet. image
  • Options
    This will be a winner.....as long as mintages stay low.

Also, due to the various degrees of mint "frost", I suppose that 70's might be a bit difficult - so it may be a grading game as well. Remember, these are to be minted as "unc's" not "proofs" and obviously handling of these coins might be an issue (not that it mattered with the proofs)image
  • Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,380 ✭✭✭✭✭
    as long as mintages stay low

I don't think that will be the case, unfortunately. We won't know until after the fact.
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    I believe the SF set - at something like 176K sets (I believe the official number came in at 176K sets, vs "counter" at 250K), which hasn't performed really well after release will keep some away.

This is good. This coin will be a winner - again - as long as we see sub 200K, even better at 150K or less.

The only way you can "one up" this latest ASE type - is with a high relief ASE.
  • Options

<< <i>I believe the SF set - at something like 176K sets (I believe the official number came in at 176K sets, vs "counter" at 250K), which hasn't performed really well after release will keep some away.

This is good. This coin will be a winner - again - as long as we see sub 200K, even better at 150K or less.

The only way you can "one up" this latest ASE type - is with a high relief ASE. >>

No, no......the topper will be a colorized flag that shifts color as you tilt it! The Blue becomes Orange, the Red becomes Green, and the White becomes Black!

Or how about a musical version! Press the panel set in the edge at 12 o'clock and an embedded chip plays "The Stars and Stripes Forever!"

• Options
    TheRavenTheRaven Posts: 4,143 ✭✭✭✭
    I don't think the coin will look like that picture period, so that is not a big deal.....

If you don't like the coin then don't buy the coin period.....

I would expect lower sales then the SF coin set last year.....
    Collection under construction: VG Barber Quarters & Halves
  • Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,704 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Or how about a musical version! Press the panel set in the edge at 12 o'clock and an embedded chip plays "The Stars and Stripes Forever!" >>

And then if there are some micro LEDs embedded into the stars of the flag that flash along with the music, that would be really cool.
  • Options
    BigABigA Posts: 2,715 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I believe the SF set - at something like 176K sets (I believe the official number came in at 176K sets, vs "counter" at 250K), which hasn't performed really well after release will keep some away.

The only way you can "one up" this latest ASE type - is with a high relief ASE. >>

Figures from this week's sales report:

2012 SAN FRANCISCO SILVER EAGLE SET 224,981
  • Options
    Someone posted 176K some time ago from an audited figure?

Found it in the USM's 2012 Annual Report - 179,921. PG 21.

Sales report is WRONG.

• Options
    Nope...sales are correct. There was a followup article stating that the Annual Mint report was in error.....

edited to add....I believe it was yours truly that posted that 176k figure (with page number) after reading that report. It was later clarified and corrected by the Mint
  • Options
    ajmanajman Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭

<<No, no......the topper will be a colorized flag that shifts color as you tilt it! The Blue becomes Orange, the Red becomes Green, and the White becomes Black!

Or how about a musical version! Press the panel set in the edge at 12 o'clock and an embedded chip plays "The Stars and Stripes Forever!"

image >>

That might not be a stretch- remember the Thomas Edison coin with the light bulb that lit up in the packaging?
    Beer is Proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy -Benjamin Franklin-
  • Options
    DorkGirlDorkGirl Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭
    Don't forget the crystals!!!image
    Becky
  • Options
    OverdateOverdate Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wonder if the "enhanced" coin will also be available in another set, like last year's 2012-S proof Silver Eagle in the Coin and Currency Set. So far this has not happened with any of the reverse proofs.

My Adolph A. Weinman signature :)

• Options
    ajmanajman Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭
    Count me in for a few sets. image
    Beer is Proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy -Benjamin Franklin-
  • Options
    RichRRichR Posts: 3,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So...when does this item actually go on sale?
  • Options

<< <i>If I were Mr. Weinman I'd be sick. Like painting the woodwork in a Craftsman home.

image >>

Whether the Mint does it or a private firm, significantly altering an artist's creation is disgraceful, IMHO.

Personally, I abhor the Mint's decision to resurrect the old classics, and that includes the gold buffaloes.

Leave 'em alone!
    Robert
  • Options

<< <i>So...when does this item actually go on sale? >>

There was a quote in the original poofed thread that said May 13-June 13th
  • Options

<< <i>I wonder if the "enhanced" coin will also be available in another set, like last year's 2012-S proof Silver Eagle in the Coin and Currency Set. So far this has not happened with any of the reverse proofs. >>

Only if they think they can get away with it!
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I still say there will be a short - but substantial - flipping frenzy.... Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    telephoto1telephoto1 Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Will they all come with a fingerprint like the imaged piece?

RIP Mom- 1932-2012
  • Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looking forward to the ASE with the USB port to connect to my various devices

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    08HALA2008HALA20 Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭
    I still have 75th Anniversary sets in FS sealed boxes.

I guess I will store these next to them.

Count me in for 5 or 10

Joe

• Options

<< <i>I still have 75th Anniversary sets in FS sealed boxes.

I guess I will store these next to them.

Count me in for 5 or 10

Joe >>

What happened to the price on these.. some guy on E-bay is giving them away for issue price + grading fees. ..He is probably losing money..
    If the mint sells this enhanced eagle the same way they sold the 75 s.. count me out..

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file