Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Very pretty Rainbow toned Lincoln NEWP...need your opinions!

I would like your opinions on NT v AT v MA and also whether the coin is original MS or been messed with...thanks! (flamers welcome)

Visit my eBay Store to see my (mostly) overpriced Rainbow Toned PCGS/NGC coins! IshopCoinShows4You

Comments

• Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Without calling it AT... Based on your image I feel that's accelerated secondary toning as the surfaces are not original.
    To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    BustHalfBrianBustHalfBrian Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭
    Likely artificial, but still very pretty image
    Lurking and learning since 2010. Full-time professional numismatist.
  • Options
    keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,456 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My opinion is AT.
    "If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • Options
    SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,886 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What Broadstruck said.

Not an attractive look IMHO.
    I love toned wheat cents but not this one.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Certainly accelerated and not natural.... Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    STONESTONE Posts: 15,275
    I like it. Mint Set toning look image
  • Options
    bestclser1bestclser1 Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭
    If its NT,doesnt do much for me my old friend,but it could be the pics.image
    Great coins are not cheap,and cheap coins are not great!
  • Options
    ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,760 ✭✭✭✭
    I agree with Broadstruck, accelerated toning is what I'm thinking.
    Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • Options
    uofa1285uofa1285 Posts: 2,252 ✭✭
    Hmm...guess I might need to learn my copper better! Any more thoughts? Thanks!
    Visit my eBay Store to see my (mostly) overpriced Rainbow Toned PCGS/NGC coins! IshopCoinShows4You
  • Options
    IrishMikeyIrishMikey Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭
    I always start with the basics -- who would spend the time artificially toning a 1930-D Lincoln cent? Not
    a huge upside with that.

On the other hand, many Lincoln cents that were dipped to a pinkish red color eventually retone, often in
    hues of blue and purple (I watched a dozen of them do exactly that over 10 years -- fun experiment). I
    think this is a stronger probability than A.T.

No matter how it acquired the color it has, I really like it. You may have problems getting a grading service
    to agree with that opinion, however. Might want to keep it raw. If the toning stabilizes, it is probably natural.
    If it keeps changing colors, it is probably the result of a dipping.
  • Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,773 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It may be natural but it does not look right and its not a coin that I'd stretch for.
    My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Options
    KaelasdadKaelasdad Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭
    I agree with the simple thinking approach, why waste time toning a low priced coin, but then, I also wonder why anyone would ever touch a high priced coin, so I suppose moderate coins should be in a doctors plans--but i also understand that some coins may have been dipped 30-50 years ago to keep spots at bay, and then have toned--and do we call those AT or NT if the result is still a toned coin 50 years down the road.
  • Options
    Thanks all so far...I believe I am going to submit it just for fun, reverse up. For $20, it's not too much of a burden to me. I will probably send it in next week. I will keep you all posted, if you like.

Doug
  • Options
    JcarneyJcarney Posts: 3,154

<< <i>I agree with the simple thinking approach, why waste time toning a low priced coin... >>

Practice.
    “When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic.” — Benjamin Franklin

My icon IS my coin. It is a gem 1949 FBL Franklin.
  • Options
    I have bought from the seller on eBay a number of times that had this coin up for sale. It was listed for a long time without any bites. I thought it was over priced but I noticed there was a make an offer option. Not sure how much you paid but if your happy with it that's all that matters.
  • Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,887 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Thanks all so far...I believe I am going to submit it just for fun, reverse up. For $20, it's not too much of a burden to me. I will probably send it in next week. I will keep you all posted, if you like.

Doug >>

$20? You're not sending it to PCI, are you?

I don't think it's worth the grading fees. And I don't think it will grade cleanly at PCGS.
    Lance.
  • Options
    I think it's market acceptable not AT but the thoughts on it possibly being cleaned certainly seems like a distinct possibility as far as how the toning might have developed
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Thanks all so far...I believe I am going to submit it just for fun, reverse up. For $20, it's not too much of a burden to me. I will probably send it in next week. I will keep you all posted, if you like.

Doug >>

$20? You're not sending it to PCI, are you?

I don't think it's worth the grading fees. And I don't think it will grade cleanly at PCGS.
    Lance. >>

I think grading is $18 for economy? I could be wrong.
  • Options

<< <i>I have bought from the seller on eBay a number of times that had this coin up for sale. It was listed for a long time without any bites. I thought it was over priced but I noticed there was a make an offer option. Not sure how much you paid but if your happy with it that's all that matters. >>

Yes, I bought it from eBay. Unless it grades numerically, I overpaid. But, I do like the look anyway, as you said. image
  • Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,887 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I think grading is $18 for economy? I could be wrong. >>

Don't forget shipping and insurance both ways, and the handling fee. Figure $50 or so.
    Lance.
  • Options
    halfhunterhalfhunter Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭
    CONGRATS ! ! !

Had this one on my WL forever but just couldn't pull the 90 dollar trigger.

I do like the coin and think it will grade . . . market acceptable.
    Let us know how it looks in-hand, as I believe that the colors will be much more muted.

HH
    Need the following OBW rolls to complete my 46-64 Roosevelt roll set:
    1947-P & D; 1948-D; 1949-P & S; 1950-D & S; and 1952-S.
    Any help locating any of these OBW rolls would be gratefully appreciated!
  • Options
    Coin like this could go either way. I like it, and best of luck to you.
    All the best,

Rob

Successful Trades with: Coincast, MICHAELDIXON

Successful Purchases from: Manorcourtman, Meltdown
  • Options
    Thanks mems, and I will post the grades! image
  • Options

<< <i>Thanks mems, and I will post the grades! image >>

I saw this was reposted for sale by the same seller on eBay. I guess you returned the coin? Wasn't as nice in hand? Didn't get the grade you wanted?
  • Options

<< <i>Hmm...guess I might need to learn my copper better! Any more thoughts? Thanks! >>

I gotta go with AT.
    Taylor
    Also known as coinman101---
    I am a YN and I do not want anybody to question my IQ Level! I don't know everything and came here to learn! image
  • Options
    GrumpyEdGrumpyEd Posts: 4,749 ✭✭✭
    I agree that not many people set out to get a coin like a 30-d cent with the intention to clean and AT it because the upside is low.

What's more likely is someone buys a set or collection that has some cleaned pink coins in it and in order to unload them they try to salvage some by accelerated toning or whatever then sell them for whatever they can get if they can.

This one has that look of being stripped then retoned.
    Ed
  • Options
    CoppercolorCoppercolor Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭
    Being a colorfully toned lincoln collector, I"ve watched that coin for nearlye a year. Didnt' know UOFA had bought it. I never pulled the trigger on it because the color looked off and I only buy coins I think will holder at PCGS.

But I'd love to know what actually happened.
    I'd like my copper well done please!
  • Options
    Hello all. Sorry I never reported back in after receiving the coin in hand. The toning did not look MA in hand, although I have nothing but great things to say abou the seller. I returned it no problems at all.

Doug

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file