Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

To what extent will you "stretch" for the right coin?

2»

Comments

• Options
    goldengolden Posts: 9,072 ✭✭✭✭✭
    In a recent Heritage auction I was the underbidder on a coin that went for 60% above PCGS price guide. I am still disappointed that I did not get it.
  • Options
    LochNESSLochNESS Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I think you should stretch far for the right rare coin if you know the market. I would never stretch for an AU $50 PP. Wait and buy a 2 shot 3 or better 3 shot 4. >>

ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

• Options
    jayPemjayPem Posts: 4,050 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Fortunately, I don't have to stretch very far for coins like these image

• Options
    Those are really nice! image

Eric
  • Options
    CatbertCatbert Posts: 6,608 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 10, 2022 3:49PM

OLD THREAD (and a good one).

I recently bought a coin that was a big jump for me from what I typically acquire. It was uncomfortable in that it was the most I'd ever spent and I bought it in what some would say is an inflated current market. I don't know if am fool and his money (since it was way way above price guide, but I really like the coin.

There doesn't seem to be any pull back on classic coinage pricing trends. See the auction houses sales YTD alone. CAC material is through the roof.

How does the current market influence your willingness to "stretch"?

"Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"
  • Options
    ProofCollectionProofCollection Posts: 5,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 10, 2022 5:35PM

Depends. How often does the coin come available? Some coins I go after only come to market in the grades I'm interested in every 3-4 years. So in those cases I will be prepared to bid in excess of the price guides by up to 50%, especially if it is a good example. In the end, you're only paying one bid increment more than someone else was willing to pay if it was an auction, so you probably can't lose too bad.

If the coin comes up a couple times a year you can afford to be more discerning.

• Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,917 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice throwback thread topic! I have over-reached on occasion, but hopefully I have enough time to make arrangements with the seller.

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭

Usually, I make the best offer I think I can make... then forget about if if there's no deal.

But if I keep thinking about the coins, I may stretch a little. Sometimes I get myself buried though :sunglasses:

Staying disciplined usually is the right move.

• Options
    hfjacintohfjacinto Posts: 766 ✭✭✭✭✭

So what brings me to my question for everyone. When a coin you have been looking for is up for sale, to what extent will you stretch?

I don’t stretch. If it’s not a fair price to me I pass. I won’t pay over what I feel is fair.

• Options
    mavs2583mavs2583 Posts: 200 ✭✭✭✭

I will stretch if it's a coin I love. Don't want to regret settling for a lower tier one. Actually, there was a coin I was willing to stretch for, but the dealer never got back to me to make a deal.

• Options
    ElmerFusterpuckElmerFusterpuck Posts: 4,627 ✭✭✭✭✭

On pretty much every coin that I've stretched on or pay what is called stupid money, time has been an great ally. If a given coin has a combination of being knockout attractive and in a popular series, it's always been good for me. I've had offers on a few of my coins that have been 4x to 10x over the "stupid" money I paid for them.

To those that strictly adhere to a price guide, you are possibly skipping over a great opportunity. Everyone has certain comfort levels on how far they will stretch, but if you don't take the plunge once in awhile you will certainly miss out on many a very nice coin.

• Options
    skier07skier07 Posts: 3,702 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MrEureka said:
    First point, which I think is obvious but still needs to be stated, is that the more irreplaceable and fabulous a coin, the faster it is likely to turn from a "burial" to a financial winner. Therefore, assuming you've found the right coin, the longer you're prepared to hold it, the less you should worry about "stretching". (Conversely, if the coin is nothing special, time can turn a good deal into a bad one. But we digress!)

The second point, which is critical, is that you have to be honest with yourself about how well you know the coin and how well you know the market. Before I give you an example, here's the basic rule. The more you know about a really special coin, the more you should be willing to stretch, because you may very well appreciate it more than anyone else. And the less you know about the market, the more you should be willing to stretch, because your estimate of the value is just a guess.

Now, the example. Yesterday, I bid on an unbelievably nice Guatemalan Pillar One Real, far better than anything I had ever seen before. I knew enough to know that this was a coin I should be buying, and I knew enough to set an initial bidding limit. But when competition sent the price to almost double what I had in mind, I bought it anyway, because I knew two things. First, this is the type of coin that has mega-potential as an investment. Second, my initial limit was not much more than a guess at the true value, and I shouldn't take my guesses too seriously. Was it a burial? I don't know, but I'm convinced that it was a smart bet. And besides, I really wanted the coin, and now I'm happy!

Great story. How did you wind up doing with the Pillar?

• Options
    jughead1893jughead1893 Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭✭✭

I also was curious how the pillar turned out

• Options
    spyglassdesignspyglassdesign Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭✭✭

It really depends... If it's a coin I've been coveting for a long time, I may be willing to stretch above 'redbook'... If it's something for my store, I'd rather just wait for a better price. It also depends on its rarity... If it's a rare coin that doesn't come up often I may stretch a bit more...

Ultimately I never pay more than I personally think it's worth.... To me! Maybe a little over depending on what and when but I try not to go much over.

• Options
    divecchiadivecchia Posts: 6,529 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 11, 2022 9:14AM

I haven't stretched on PCGS graded coins the way I did on Nolan Ryan PSA graded baseball cards. I set many records over the last 5-15 years for top pop or low pop Nolan Ryan baseball cards. With coins I'm a little more conservative as I am not as much of an expert on them. I will pay over price guide if I like the way the coin looks to me, but I am unlikely to set record prices as I did with PSA graded cards. I may stretch as far as 20% over current prices for PCGS graded coins, but not more.

Donato

Hobbyist & Collector (not an investor).
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

Successful transactions: Shrub68 (Jim), MWallace (Mike)
  • Options
    lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 7,835 ✭✭✭✭✭

For me, and sorry to be so cliche, but it depends on the set and the coin.

For my Type Set and Box of 20, I can be very patient. I think I've paid what approached PCGS guidelines a few times for slabbed pieces with maybe one or two exceptions... I paid fairly strong money for my Trade Dollar, but so was everyone else at the time!

For Large Cents... at least for me... it's a constant balancing act to find pieces with minimal problems at an affordable price. When one comes up for auction and it's a date I want/need, I'll bid strong... likely over PCGS guidelines approaching the next grade level pricing... but so are a dedicated handful of other EAC collectors. I've managed to get a few deals over the years, but recently they're fewer and further between.

Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

The current market(other than widgets) says if you want nice, solid coins for the grade you will have to stretch. I've exceeded PG on all but a few of the nicer Seated Dollars I've recently purchased. You also better not beat around the bush if a coin your after becomes available, I missed 1 because I thought I had an hour to get and errand done before I called about it.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file