Home Precious Metals
Options

What is Venezuela gonna do with the gold it supposedly acquired now that Chavez is dead?

cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,620 ✭✭✭✭✭
???
Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

Comments

• Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Can't they do with all the other central banks of the world do with their gold?.....keeping it vaulted as an asset on the nation's balance sheets? Good thing Chavez brought the
    gold back when he did or they'd be waiting just like Germany. Venezuela mines about 15 tonnes per year. So they will probably just continue to accumulate. The $5 BILL gold stake
    is an order of magnitude lower.
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    Is there a chance that those who may gain power could "withdraw" the gold from the vaults?

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,547 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It has probably been stolen already.
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options

<< <i>It has probably been stolen already. >>

Probably true.....just like the Fort Knox gold (encumbered, leased or stolen).
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,193 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What gold?

What Chavez?

Ken Lay? Never heard of him.

Keep an open mind, or get financially repressed -Zoltan Pozsar

• Options
    What was the tonnage of gold that he brought back from England?
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    LochNESSLochNESS Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭
    So are we pro or anti Hugo?
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,405 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>So are we pro or anti Hugo? >>

A NY Congressman praised him yesterday so I guess the answer to your question depends what end of the political spectrum you reside. As far as the gold I have no idea what happened to it but I assume it's stored somewhere in Venezuela in a secure facility.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,370 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What gold?

What Chavez?

They are all likely staying at Charlie Rangel's place with Bernie Madoff in the Dominican Republic.
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    They brought back around 100-110 tonnes of gold as I recall.
  • Options
    160 tons now sitting in their central bank vault. Probably enough there to put them on the "terrorist nations to be invaded" list. Would be interesting to know where Libya's 140 tons ended up, especially since there was a sudden need for tonnage to satisfy Venezuela's demand. Any possibility that peter got robbed in order to pay paul?

• Options
    carew4mecarew4me Posts: 3,464 ✭✭✭✭
    Considering this thug looted the country of an estimated 2 billion for his personal use, I highly
    doubt anyone but him knows where it his after the delivery drivers were executed.

I you want to be rich AND loved by the left...Steal it..do not earn it like Romney.

Loves me some shiny!
  • Options
    LochNESSLochNESS Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭
    I'll spin my Peter Paul & Mary LP and get back to you image Anyway what I meant was, Do we think the Chavez gold move was good or bad for the PM market? In other words if you were Chavez would you have "brought" back the gold? How did it affect the market? I could invoke my library card and research but it's easier to ask y'all old folk who lived it image
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,498 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>What gold?

What Chavez?

They are all likely staying at Charlie Rangel's place with Bernie Madoff in the Dominican Republic. >>

word is bernie is on the roll with his funds out that way.
  • Options
    mhammermanmhammerman Posts: 3,769 ✭✭✭
    "What is Venezuela gonna do with the gold it supposedly acquired now that Chavez is dead?"

Hummmmmmmm...I'm thinking boating accident but it might have been something else.
  • Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Non event. MJ
    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    People will continue to do what they have always done about gold throughout recorded history: dig it out of the ground, refine it to purity in pieces of convenient size, which are also often beautifully artistic, and then put the gold back in the ground in either subterranean vaults or clearly marked large stone buildings. People (well, primarily men) do this because the ancient aliens who visited this planet eons ago (sometimes they were interpreted by the primitive people as "gods" who descended in "sky chariots" or "fire breathing dragons" both instructed them to do this and encoded the drive to do this in the human genome. These aliens often said, "keep the faith, we'll be back later", in the meantime, be good to each other and "keep on stackin"

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options

<< <i>People will continue to do what they have always done about gold throughout recorded history: dig it out of the ground, refine it to purity in pieces of convenient size, which are also often beautifully artistic, and then put the gold back in the ground in either subterranean vaults or clearly marked large stone buildings. People (well, primarily men) do this because the ancient aliens who visited this planet eons ago (sometimes they were interpreted by the primitive people as "gods" who descended in "sky chariots" or "fire breathing dragons" both instructed them to do this and encoded the drive to do this in the human genome. These aliens often said, "keep the faith, we'll be back later", in the meantime, be good to each other and "keep on stackin" >>

That makes much more sense than what we currently do with fiat money and treasury bonds. We print up a $100 note on 2c worth of material and tell people that will buy about a tenth
    of an ounce of gold or 3-1/2 ounces of silver. That ounce of gold worth $1580 cost about $1200-$1300 to dig it out of the ground. Now if only central banks could "print" gold for 2c a bar. Wait a minute....they already do that on the Comex and LBMA. image

Warren Buffet tried to spin the same BS about gold saying that we dig it out of the ground...then dig another hole (vault) to bury it in. Then place guards around the hole. Funny thing is,
    Buffet did that same thing with 130 MILL oz of silver from 1996-2006. He had that silver dug out of the ground, vaulted, and then guarded. He held it for 10 yrs. That's a pretty long
    time if you ask me to not understand what you are doing. Maybe Buffet is a direct descendant of one of those ancient aliens? The only other guy I can think of that changed his spots in
    mid-stream was Greenspan. But being given a key to the executive washroom at the USTreasury and FED can do that to you.

The Chavez gold event was factored into the market last year. The pundits will say it was a bad move because the price of gold went down since he took delivery.
  • Options
    Mission16Mission16 Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>So are we pro or anti Hugo? >>

A NY Congressman praised him yesterday so I guess the answer to your question depends what end of the political spectrum you reside. As far as the gold I have no idea what happened to it but I assume it's stored somewhere in Venezuela in a secure facility. >>

As NYS is pretty much a communist state, I'm not surprised by the praise.

I'm thinking that gold never made it to the central bank in the first place.
  • Options

@derryb said:
    160 tons now sitting in their central bank vault. Probably enough there to put them on the "terrorist nations to be invaded" list. Would be interesting to know where Libya's 140 tons ended up, especially since there was a sudden need for tonnage to satisfy Venezuela's demand. Any possibility that peter got robbed in order to pay paul?

So they had 360 tons in 2012 at $1700. Now they have 150 tons at $1200.

Got insurance? LOL

• Options

@cohodk said:

@derryb said:

Got insurance? LOL

And what would they have if they had converted it into bolivars? LOL

• Options

@derryb said:

@cohodk said:

@derryb said:

Got insurance? LOL

And what would they have if they had converted it into bolivars? LOL

Or the US dollar or US stock market. LOL

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I always chuckle at these figures that say 'XXXX has XX tons of gold'...and of course, those figures are nothing more than guestimates based on acquisition numbers etc.. Sure, the gold is somewhere... and I would wager Maduro has a bunch hidden away - which, if he does not get out of there soon, he will never get to enjoy....Just like Fort Knox.... How much gold? Cheers, RickO

• Options

Yeah, I wouldn't be surprised if the gold wasn't in a Swiss lockbox by now under the name of the current dictator's pet llama!

• Options

@ricko said:
    I always chuckle at these figures that say 'XXXX has XX tons of gold'...and of course, those figures are nothing more than guestimates based on acquisition numbers etc.. Sure, the gold is somewhere... and I would wager Maduro has a bunch hidden away - which, if he does not get out of there soon, he will never get to enjoy....Just like Fort Knox.... How much gold? Cheers, RickO

Actually he is selling it to his people.
    https://bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-08-27/venezuela-to-sell-gold-ingots-to-pensioners-as-inflation-soars

wionews.com/world/venezuela-government-prepares-to-sell-small-gold-bars-in-public--161775

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/nicolas-maduro-sells-gold-to-impoverished-citizens-c068cvzlc

• Options

This should be interesting.....Cheers, RickO

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,835 ✭✭✭✭✭

How can impoverished people afford gold ? And then they don't get gold. They get a certificate ?

The guy should be a banker. 

• Options
    ShadyDaveShadyDave Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Baley said:
    People will continue to do what they have always done about gold throughout recorded history: dig it out of the ground, refine it to purity in pieces of convenient size, which are also often beautifully artistic, and then put the gold back in the ground in either subterranean vaults or clearly marked large stone buildings. People (well, primarily men) do this because the ancient aliens who visited this planet eons ago (sometimes they were interpreted by the primitive people as "gods" who descended in "sky chariots" or "fire breathing dragons" both instructed them to do this and encoded the drive to do this in the human genome. These aliens often said, "keep the faith, we'll be back later", in the meantime, be good to each other and "keep on stackin"

Tell me more :)

• Options

And Venezuela continues the death spiral.....Very sad.... Cheers, RickO