Home› World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

MS64 NFL $2 Gold rip off !!

YQQYQQ Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭✭✭
here is a typical ASYN rip off on Feebay.
In MS 64, this coin is valued between 30,000 to 50,000.
I only have two questions:
1 why is it not certified? would you as a seller not want to be sure about the coin?
2 Is this coin authentic? Personally I believe it to be a fake.
I have posted the actual listing and copied it on to my certified coin.
YOU be the judge.
original and live listing

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/360605240650?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649
image

copied and compared:
image
Today is the first day of the rest of my life

Comments

  • Options
    Looks fake to me!
  • Options
    DorkGirlDorkGirl Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭
    Have you contacted the seller?
    Becky
  • Options
    MacCrimmonMacCrimmon Posts: 7,058 ✭✭✭
    Send this URL link to eBay.

    The image is an atrocious scan but the numeral "2" on the reverse looks odd, and the dentiles look mushy. Image is too bad to tell if bubbles or tooling marks are in evidence.
  • Options
    PokermandudePokermandude Posts: 2,713 ✭✭✭
    As soon as I saw the "grade" and the green background for the image, I knew who we were talking about image

    asyn MS64 = about unc at best

    I'd wager that this coin is a counterfeit for the reasons others have said.
    http://stores.ebay.ca/Mattscoin - Canadian coins, World Coins, Silver, Gold, Coin lots, Modern Mint Products & Collections
  • Options
    wybritwybrit Posts: 6,999 ✭✭✭
    There are only a small handful of sellers I filter out. This is one of them.
    Former owner, Cambridge Gate collection.
  • Options
    ZoharZohar Posts: 6,729 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Crazy fake!
    Habsburg Talers

    TalerUniverse.com is a curated numismatic project dedicated to the silver talers, crowns, and medals of the Habsburg Empire and the Holy Roman Empire, spanning the 16th–18th centuries. The collection emphasizes historically significant issues, rare mint varieties, and high-grade NGC/PCGS examples, presented with detailed historical context, scholarly references, and high-resolution photography. TalerUniverse aims to serve both as a private collection showcase and a growing reference resource for collectors, researchers, and students of early-modern European coinage.
  • Options
    YQQYQQ Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pokerman, that coin is MAX VF30 and not a hair more...IMO.
    I have sent the link to Mike Marshal. he has direct access to Fleabay for removal of fakes.
    Sometimes it is within minutes.. swoooosh and gone.
    But, i guess Mike is not home today...... after all, he has a life too...
    if one of us sends it , it will not be dealt with swiftly..
    So, I guess someone is getting the shaft here..and an unpleasant surprise.
    Now guys.. if it were your coin.. would you not have it graded?
    I am not sure if a MS 64 is known in any POP report... it is ever sooooooooooooooo rare... just look at the mintage.
    If this coin would be a US gold coin... price would be in the stratosphere...
    I am lucky to have one (had another and sold it)
    Today is the first day of the rest of my life
  • Options
    PokermandudePokermandude Posts: 2,713 ✭✭✭


    << <i>Pokerman, that coin is MAX VF30 and not a hair more...IMO. >>



    I was commenting on his typical grading.

    I'd grade this (fake) coin at at least EF-45 details.
    http://stores.ebay.ca/Mattscoin - Canadian coins, World Coins, Silver, Gold, Coin lots, Modern Mint Products & Collections
  • Options
    DBMDBM Posts: 27 ✭✭
    Fakes usually have an OBV3 portrait.
    Asyn's coin has OBV2 portrait,with smoothly rounded forehead,and pointed front of the bust truncation.
    The 2 does look somewhat funky.

    Though certified,the OP's coin is also suspicious.
    The forehead doesn't appear as smoothly rounded as it should be,and the point of the bust truncation appears too rounded.

    One,both,or neither coin may be subject to optical illusion.

  • Options
    mkman123mkman123 Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭✭
    from those comparisons, looks like a very well done fake!!! I had to look really carefully
    Successful Buying and Selling transactions with:

    Many members on this forum that now it cannot fit in my signature. Please ask for entire list.
  • Options
    mrpotatoheaddmrpotatoheadd Posts: 7,576 ✭✭✭


    << <i>One,both,or neither coin may be subject to optical illusion. >>

    When resizing images, changes can be introduced that are not visible in the original image. Don't know if that happened here- just sayin'...
  • Options
    SenexSenex Posts: 483 ✭
    #1: I think it's a fake too
    #2: Any relationship between ASYN's "grades" and reality is purely coincidental.
    I have him tuned out in my Canadian eBay searches (but I can't say that before doing so I ever saw him offering fake coins) along with gotchacollectables.
Sign In or Register to comment.