Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1795 half dime variety

rheddenrhedden Posts: 6,619 ✭✭✭✭✭
Interesting "auction" on eBay. Maybe someone can help this guy attribute it and send him a message?

LINK

Comments

• Options
    commoncents05commoncents05 Posts: 10,078 ✭✭✭
    No idea on the variety, but that is a very nice coin.

-Paul
    Many Quality coins for sale at http://www.CommonCentsRareCoins.com
  • Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,459 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I put in a bid. Yeah, I'm awful
  • Options
    hchcoinhchcoin Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great looking coin. Interesting auction.
  • Options
    STONESTONE Posts: 15,275
    I say let the bidding begin image
  • Options
    coindeucecoindeuce Posts: 13,472 ✭✭✭✭✭
    By accepting bids and stating at the same time that the item is not for sale is a violation of eBay T.O.S.
    Tantamount to a pre-sale, which is verboten.

"Everything is on its way to somewhere. Everything." - George Malley, Phenomenon
    http://www.americanlegacycoins.com

• Options
    MrHalfDimeMrHalfDime Posts: 3,440 ✭✭✭✭
    Legal eBay listing or not, I sent the seller the following response:

Your half dime appears to be an example of the LM-8/V5, as designated in the Logan/McCloskey half dime reference (LM-8) and the Valentine half dime reference (V5). It is characterized by *1 pointing between curl 2 and curl 3, and the irregular placement of the letters LIB of LIBERTY, with L low, and IB distant (Obverse 7). For the reverse, there are no berries under the left wing (Reverse E). Of the ten die marriages for the 1795 date, this is one of the most common (R3). I hope this helps.

Very unusual listing. I have never seen anyone seeking an attribution by listing a coin "Not for sale" on eBay.
    They that can give up essential Liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither Liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,487 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Maybe he will decide to sell it when he finds out it's not a rare variety.

Does anyone besides Mr. Half Dime collect 1795 half dimes by die variety? I'm somewhat of an early hafl dime nut, but I would not want to try that one. There are 10 varieites.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file