Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

(potential) Newp: 1914-D Barber quarter (w/grading poll)

lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,215 ✭✭✭✭✭
This coin is a potential purchase for my new 19th century VF-XF Basic Type Set.

As of this initial post, it is not yet a new purchase and really just under consideration.

A few days ago, I got this PM:

<< <i>HI i have a 1914 D barber 25c I think you might like for your type set! I can email you pictures if you would like. Also you can put it up as a gtg if you would like, Im kind of curious what others think of it. >>

So the seller is a forum member, but doesn't mind me doing a poll thread. Cool. I responded:

<< <i>Thanks! Sounds interesting. I was really sort of hoping to do an 1890s date for all my Barbers (in keeping with the whole 19th century theme), but I suppose if one has the right look, I could be persuaded, maybe. >>

So there 'tis. He emailed pictures, and now we have a poll thread.

My initial impressions? I like the coin's general look, but whether I should move on this one or hold out for an 1890s-dated one with the look I like, we'll see. "CircCam" contrast is not terribly difficult to find on Barber coins. That being said, this one does seem to have particularly nice contrast in the toning.

Larger obverse picture

Larger reverse picture

PCGS/Photograde standards

Index of similar grading poll threads like this

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.

Comments

• Options
    I used the neutral option in the poll.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    ManorcourtmanManorcourtman Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭
    I did not vote but I am not so sure the reverse doesn't have envir. damage. Tough to say for sure from a pic. I'd find a nice 1890's circ cam coin. They can be had in VF for not a lot of money.
  • Options
    These might have been phone pictures.

(Edit- yep- they are. Pretty dang nice for phone pix, I must say. Seller must have a nice phone!)

I cropped them to add the black background and resized them, but didn't tweak the colors or brightness.

• Options
    rheddenrhedden Posts: 6,619 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm pretty sure this has AU50 to 53 details. I'm guessing it won't go higher than 50 due to the thick toning. This analysis assumes the coin was not cleaned or retoned, as one cannot tell from the pictures provided.

People guessing less than EF40 should try actually looking at some photos of PCGS-graded Barbers before contaminating the results of the next grading poll! image
  • Options
    LogPotatoLogPotato Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I'm pretty sure this has AU50 to 53 details. I'm guessing it won't go higher than 50 due to the thick toning. This analysis assumes the coin was not cleaned or retoned, as one cannot tell from the pictures provided.

People guessing less than EF40 should try actually looking at some photos of PCGS-graded Barbers before contaminating the results of the next grading poll! image >>

I agree with all of this. image
  • Options
    KAJ1KAJ1 Posts: 768 ✭✭✭
    I voted 50.
  • Options
    s4nys4ny Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I voted 50. >>

Me too. Better than XF.
  • Options
    I collect Barber quarters and I agree that this has AU50 or better details.

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,515 ✭✭✭✭✭
    i went with xf 45 but like the idea of a au50. ill leave it alone at that
  • Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think if it doesn't get bagged for environmental damage it will be graded XF-45(acceptable as a 45 netted from 50). PCGS doesn't like heavily toned coins.
  • Options
    dogwooddogwood Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭✭
    I'm in the 50 details net 45 camp entirely.
    I don't particularly prize that dark a look, but in truth that's probably what completely uncleaned barbers should look like if not stored properly.
    We're all born MS70. I'm about a Fine 15 right now.
  • Options
    hchcoinhchcoin Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think it looks cool
  • Options
    MFHMFH Posts: 11,720 ✭✭✭✭

I voted Genuine / Problem Coin.

Environmental damage. AU 53 details.
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Coin collecting is not a hobby, it's an obsession !

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    rec78rec78 Posts: 5,691 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I voted Genuine / Problem Coin.

Environmental damage. AU 53 details. >>

Nice grade but I have seen too many like this.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    AU50....Cheers, RickO

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file