Home Precious Metals
Options

Proud of my son

My 9-year old saw an advertisement in a magazine for the New York Mint 1 ounce "$100 silver proof" bar for $99. He said he wanted one because he wanted real silver. I sat down, read the ad, explained that silver was roughly $30 an ounce, showed him where the ad showed the price of bar and the amount of silver, and he realized it was a rip off. I said if he wanted a 1 ounce silver coin I would sell him one for $30. Then he went to finish his homework and I went to work out. About an hour later he comes down to say good-night and he told me he put $30 on my bedside table, and he wanted a silver coin. So, I went and grabbed my stash, got out a silver eagle, told him it would be $30, and he thought that would be cool. But then I said that he had other options. Grabbed some of my 90%, showed him quarters and dimes. He observed that they looked somewhat like today's coins and he knew today's coins were copper/nickel, and I asked him to look at the years. Then we walked through the composition of coins through 1964 and then the 40% halves. I put a clad dime in one of his hands and a silver dime in the other and asked him to close his eyes and feel the difference. We also talked about how silver is a great conductor of heat compared to the clad coins. I said that for $23 he could have $1.00 face of those coins, or I would sell him a dime for $2.30 or a quarter for $5.75. He rooted through things and picked out two Roosevelt dimes, we put them in coin flips so he wouldn't mix them with his "regular" coins, and then I only kept $4.60 of his $30. Kid was happy that he got two silver coins and still had money left over.

I know you guys probably have gone through that scene with your kids too (and don't get on my case for overcharging him - I couldn't remember exact quote for junk silver off top of my head, probably should have charged him closer to 21.5x face image ). But it was good to have the conversation about what silver means, how not to get ripped off, and what "real" money feels like. Figured you guys could appreciate.

-Fred

Successful BST (me as buyer) with: Collectorcoins, PipestonePete, JasonRiffeRareCoins

Comments

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,536 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good stuff image
  • Options
    Good story, thats how we all get started. I think I got my kid interested in silver to. Oh he is 32 years old.
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,217 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ten times what he learned in school that day. Can't beat home schooling from a teacher who truely cares.

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

• Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,382 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Smart kid, smart dad.image
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    awesome story! i hope to have the same conversation with my little guy when he grows up. he's 2 so I have a little while. hopefully by the time I'm selling him a 90% dime I'll be charging him $5. lol

nice work Fred!
    successful transactions with: vpr, robman, piecesofme, metalsman, gdavis70, agentjim007, ranshdow and more to come!
  • Options
    gsa1fangsa1fan Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭
    Best post I have read here in a L O N G time!image
    Avid collector of GSA's.
  • Options
    piecesofmepiecesofme Posts: 6,669 ✭✭✭
    Can't beat home schooling from a teacher who truely cares

I think that's true of just about any kind of "teacher". Caring about what is being taught is invaluable to the recipient of the knowledge.
    Great post OP! image
    To forgive is to free a prisoner, and to discover that prisoner was you.
  • Options
    DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bravo!
  • Options
    s4nys4ny Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭
    Had a similar family conversation in the car recently and it wound up on the Hunt brothers, HL Hunt, their
    dad, his multiple families. etc.
  • Options
    Thanks for sharing this great story! image

Last night I was bathing my coins in acetone and putting them in airtites.
    My 3 year old son asked for "tanti soldi" (translation: lots of coins).
    He sat by me with his dust can blowing the coins I gave him from the change jar.
    I then put an AGE in the mix and asked which coin he liked more...he picked the cent! image
    The member formerly known as Ciccio / Posts: 1453 / Joined: Apr 2009
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Excellent post.... Parental teaching should be a major part of all children's education. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    ksammutksammut Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭
    Great story. Thanks for sharing. My 11 year old and I have always been very close. He is a collector like I am (many different things). He started collecting coins at the age of 5. We now belong to three coin and one currency club. Maybe your 9 year old might like to join a local club.
    American Numismatic Association Governor 2023 to 2025 - My posts reflect my own thoughts and are not those of the ANA.

My Numismatics with Kenny eBay Store Over 6000 listings and growing with more than 39,000 items sold

My Numismatics with Kenny Twitter Page

Instagram - numismatistkenny

My Numismatics with Kenny Blog Page Best viewed on a laptop or monitor.

ANA Life Member & Volunteer District Representative

2019 ANA Young Numismatist of the Year

Doing my best to introduce Young Numismatists and Young Adults into the hobby.

• Options
    57loaded57loaded Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭
    Mine started with the State quarters...guess bad parenting on my part.image
  • Options
    mrpaseomrpaseo Posts: 4,753 ✭✭✭
    Great story image
  • Options
    goldengolden Posts: 9,072 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for sharing.