Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Massachusetts Half Cents.....

ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,609 ✭✭✭✭✭
I'm seeing a lot of facets with this series that fit my collecting needs. They seem esoteric enough with search on this forum bringing up only two posts. Anyone care to write a few words or post a few pictures?

Comments

• Options
    I can't post any pictures but I do have Ford's specimen. I was graded by our hosts as MS66BN.

njcc
    www.numismaticamericana.com
  • Options

<< <i>I can't post any pictures but I do have Ford's specimen. I was graded by our hosts as MS66BN.

njcc >>

Do you have any high grade specimens, or just that one, Bill?

I remember that coin from the sale; it is truly spectacular.
    Please visit Dave Wnuck Numismatics LLC at DaveWcoins.com
  • Options
    I am not sure about the half cent specifically but between it and the cent the design seems to be relatively plentiful compared to some of the other States coins. They are fairly easy to find in nice circulated grades but I am guessing you are thinking about rarer varieties.

I really like the design and think they are undervalued compared to modern coinage. I have one of each but sorry, no pics, they are in the SDB.

Or do you mean the unique 1776 three heads halfpenny?

Successful BST deals with mustangt and jesbroken. Now EVERYTHING is for sale.

• Options
    No, pretty much the half cent is what's interesting to me.
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,486 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have one, but it's not among my favorite coins because it is weakly stuck in the center around the Indian's waistline which makes it look like it is damaged. As a result I don't have a picture handy although I could look the coin up and post one. The coin is not that hard to find, and there are a few varieites, but not as many as there are of the cent.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    cardinalcardinal Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is the prettiest of the half cents I have seen:

• Options
    Okay. Here is my Mass. half cent such as it is.

The die variety is Ryder 4-C and Dave Bowers rates it as URS-9 (125 to 249 known). The problems with the reverse (Indian side) are twofold. First, the dies did not fill properly which left him without a waistline and the obverse with a weak "HALF CENT" on the shield. Second, someone decided to punch that side several times with a sharp instrument.

These coins were the coins to have the words "half cent" on them, which makes them a slightly older half sister to Roger Cohen's "Little half sisters." I bought this many years ago, and I suppose I should have a better one, but contrary to popular belief, I really don't collect everything. image So maybe some day I'll buy a better one.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    CoinRaritiesOnlineCoinRaritiesOnline Posts: 3,641 ✭✭✭✭
    I'll take this one:

• Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,304 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My piddly little example compared to some of the ones already posted...

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    btw...I don't know the die variety of mine, so anyone who does is free to speak up image

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options

<< <i>btw...I don't know the die variety of mine, so anyone who does is free to speak up image >>

It is a 1788 Ryder 1-B. Bowers says that it is "Plentiful in Mint State in the context of the series. URS-11 estimated 500 to 999 known.
  • Options
    Both of those 65s are spectacular and all the others are nice too.

For anyone thinking about purchasing these there ARE fakes out there. There are fakes that are old enough that they show some age but are pretty easy to spot. Don't know about modern fakes but I sure wouldn't bet against it.

Successful BST deals with mustangt and jesbroken. Now EVERYTHING is for sale.

• Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,789 ✭✭✭✭✭
    For some reason, and this goes against my general bias for larger coins, I seem to be more attracted to the half cent than the large cent, but they are all very cool, IMO.

Someday, I would like to do a four coin set, a half cent and large cent from each year (1787 and 1788).
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>btw...I don't know the die variety of mine, so anyone who does is free to speak up image >>

It is a 1788 Ryder 1-B. Bowers says that it is "Plentiful in Mint State in the context of the series. URS-11 estimated 500 to 999 known. >>

Thank you, Bill.

• Options
    MidLifeCrisisMidLifeCrisis Posts: 10,521 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I'll take this one:

image >>

I'd take that one too! Is it for sale? image
  • Options
    CoinRaritiesOnlineCoinRaritiesOnline Posts: 3,641 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I'd take that one too! Is it for sale? image >>

You'll have to ask the forum member who owns it.
  • Options

<< <i>My piddly little example compared to some of the ones already posted...

image >>

If you define "piddly" as well struck, nice, even circulation, and no problems, that one's certainly "piddly." I like it. image
    Let's try not to get upset.
  • Options

<< <i>I'm seeing a lot of facets with this series that fit my collecting needs. They seem esoteric enough with search on this forum bringing up only two posts. Anyone care to write a few words or post a few pictures? >>

No you don't. Just move along. image
  • Options
    Like: smaller size, age, American made, limited varieties, esoteric. Dislikes: availability in very high grades, not that rare (except 4D), well made coin, similarity of design within varieties, .........overall verdict.....fail.
  • Options
    rawmorganrawmorgan Posts: 618 ✭✭✭
    Here's my 1788 R4+ Ryder 1-A it resides now in a genuine slab from our hosts due to planchet defects

• Options

<< <i>Like: smaller size, age, American made, limited varieties, esoteric. Dislikes: availability in very high grades, not that rare (except 4D), well made coin, similarity of design within varieties, .........overall verdict.....fail. >>

Do not be fooled by the MS-65 graded coins that were posted here. These coins are not like Virginia half pennies, which are easy to find in Mint State. High grade examples do not grow on trees. Most pieces grade Fine or VF with problems.
  • Options
    rawmorganrawmorgan Posts: 618 ✭✭✭
    Outside of this 1788 1/2 cent 1-A that came up for auction at the January 2013 Americana Sale by Stacks

link

I hadn't seen one on the auction circuit in 5+ years.

I was looking to upgrade mine with this one, but got distracted, and missed the final day of bidding.

This would have been a great example to own.
  • Options
    nencoinnencoin Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭✭
    Not your typical Mass Half Cent...

• Options
    phnataccphnatacc Posts: 367 ✭✭

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file