Home Coin Swaps, Tags and Giveaways
Options

Giveaway: 1,000th post! woo hoo! ... ("donzme" wins)

Well, it's that time! image

I've actually been looking forward to this for a while. I am excited to give a little something back as a token of appreciation for the immense knowledge and camaraderie - and sweet BSTs - I have reaped this past year. image

First I'm giving this giveaway a personal touch... Since I'm a musician by trade, we'll do music trivia. First person to reply/comment with the correct answer WINS the prize below! Guessing is OK, but no Google, emails, spouses or other helps! image

THE QUESTION: In 1962, a killer band called Booker T. and the MGs formed and forever changed the face of American music. What does the "MG" stand for?

THE PRIZE is a bit of me, too in a manner of speaking:

Born and raised in USA
----- four Buffalo nickels, Type II (standing on the plain), date worn off but they came from a group of 1936's
Mom's family is from Yugoslavia
------one 1972 Yugoslavia 2 Dinara, good obverse, the reverse rim has some dirt between 2 and 5 o'clock
Dad is into currency
------one Bank of South Sudan crisp unc 1 South Sudanese Pound; from pre-sealed strap of 100, and has slight fold-over from the strap
I'm a darksider
------1974 Nepal Proof Set w/ some rainbow toning on the large Rupee, 50 Paisa and 25 Paisa; give them some time these will be gorgeous! sadly the others are not so lucky, typical in these sets
------1977 Australia 2 Cents, red
------1977 Australia 5 Cents w/ hints of rainbow tone, although my scanner failed to pick that up

Photos:

I hope my first thousand posts were somewhat helpful to others, and that my next thousand are an improvement! image ~Nick

PS: If nobody posts the correct answer after seven days, I will collect your names and let my wife draw from a hat. So don't worry somebody will win image
ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

Comments

• Options
    Ah yes, the famous Booker T and the MGs... wasn't that an old R&B group? I remember their hit "Green Onions." Anyway I think the public was convinced that "MG" stood for "Memphis Group," but in reality, it was just a tribute to the MG automobiles?

You could say "Memphis Group" was a "decoy" interpretation image

Edited to add: Thanks for the opportunity, and congratulations on hitting 1000. I got quite a while to go, as you could might imagine..
    Regards,
    Dolan
  • Options
    mkman123mkman123 Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭✭
    MG sports car right?
    Successful Buying and Selling transactions with:

Many members on this forum that now it cannot fit in my signature. Please ask for entire list.
  • Options
    My wag Mighty Guys.

Herb
    Remember it's not how you pick your nose that matters, it's where you put the boogers.
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,203 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Memphis Group
    Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    donzmedonzme Posts: 161 ✭✭✭
    Morris Garages
  • Options
    They were named after record producer Chips Moman's car, an MG. They used the "memphis group" story to avoid a copyright problem. An earlier Moman band was named the Triumphs, anothe rof his cars.
  • Options
    LochNESSLochNESS Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭
    Wow, fascinating! I've never heard that case made for the car theory. Very convincing. And yes, they were from Memphis... and yes I'm aware that "Memphis Group" is another popular theory. But according to my sources the correct answer has yet to be given!

My sources are:
    - an old drummer who used to record at Stax Records with William Bell
    - Booker T. Jones, whom I met during a tour in 2009

Now here's a hint:
    - the group formed in 1962, a racially tense period

If you feel strongly about your answer, then PM your address and I'll send you a little something. I don't want anyone to feel as if they're been robbed of the prize. Hopefully my membership in The Recording Academy and 100% eBay rating count for something towards character image ~Nick
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

• Options
    donzmedonzme Posts: 161 ✭✭✭
    Could it be "mixed guys" or "mixed group"???
  • Options

<< <i>Could it be ... "mixed group"??? >>

YES!!!!!!! Mixed Group. The studio office manager used to refer to them as the mixed group, because it was rare at that time (and that city) to have a mixed-race band. After they toured Europe and their sound became synonymous with Memphis, press and fans adopted the more PC name Memphis Group.
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

• Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,472 ✭✭✭✭
    Interesting bit of trivia which I never really gave much thought to. However, I did look it up on Google.

I remember that their song Green Onions was the background music for the culminating Drag Race between John Milner and Bob Falfa in American Grafitti.
    The music was perfect IMO, since it reminded me of the many hot, humid early mornings I enjoyed in Central California!

Of course, in 62, I was still a puppy but some things you just never forget.
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    Yep google is no help on this matter. Wikipedia says it's Memphis Group and refutes the car theory, but then, Wikipedia is written by average folks like us and often unchecked.

I wish I could say I've seen an MG car, but there aren't any in the Stax museum. Not even a photo or sketch. I saw American Graffiti a looong time ago. Don't remember the cars image
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

• Options
    Oh, wow- I really thought it was after the car, seeing that a couple band members admitted to that title. I thought there's no higher authority than the members themselves. Anyway the prize doesn't matter... I could see why "Mixed Group" could have been the real basis. Thanks for the chance!
    Regards,
    Dolan
  • Options
    Booker T. Jones is the band member, and as I stated earlier, he affirmed what William Bell's drummer told me. tonedwash66 mentioned Chips Moman's car, but I've never seen that name associated with the band nor is he mentioned on this website, "history-of-rock.com" (which BTW claims it's Memphis Group not the MG car).

Is it possible that after their local nickname "mixed group" circulated around the studio for a while, somebody was like "hey we need to think of a better story behind this name 'cause the press will want something snazzy" and another fella said "hey how about we say it's from the car" ... I mean none of these guys raced or had fancy race cars they were all flat broke and poor in one of the city's poorest neighborhoods. And their music has nothing to do with cars.
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE