Home Precious Metals
Options

Engelhard old pour bar INSANITY still thriving

Maybe not quite insanity, but defintely eyebrow raising. Not quite as much as the other older thread I did on this on a 7 oz Engelhard that ended going for $225/oz I believe, but these are crazy for what they are and for where Spot is at imo.

two 10 oz'ers and a 5 oz'er go for $1050

That's like $400/bar for the 10 oz'ers & $250 for the 5 oz'er, which is reasonable for a 5 oz'er currently as I have been offering up to $270 and not getting any bites, but $400/bar for 10's when Spot is under $30 and falling??? These weren't going for this much when Spot was $34 LOL.

$295 for a fairly common version 5 oz'er

So let's see. I'm offering people up to $270 (if the bar has a solid, complete strike and looks cool) and this seller will be netting $257 after all fees. I am perplexed why I am having a hard time aquiring 5 oz'ers when I'm beating what they are netting on eBay, even when the strike price is a ridiculous value of $290 image
To forgive is to free a prisoner, and to discover that prisoner was you.

Comments

• Options
    I've got several 5 oz. Engelhard's, I assume you want old poured ones and not struck ones? Show me some pictures of what you want and perhaps I can ship some out to you.
  • Options
    gsa1fangsa1fan Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭
    POM is looking for these type Yukon image
    Avid collector of GSA's.
  • Options
    piecesofmepiecesofme Posts: 6,669 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for posting the pic gsa...those are the kinds I am wanting folks. Notice there are 5 different styles of the 5 oz'ers shown. I'm sure there's alot more.
  • Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,382 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Same pricing ballpark as for the 5 oz pucks. It's not insanity if there's demand for it. Not my cup of tea, but if someone WANTS it, and it can't be had for the current price, the bid escalates.
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    PokermandudePokermandude Posts: 2,710 ✭✭✭
    The OP prices don't seem insane at all.

Silver "Spot" Price on ebay for .999 is still $35+
    http://stores.ebay.ca/Mattscoin - Canadian coins, World Coins, Silver, Gold, Coin lots, Modern Mint Products & Collections
  • Options
    mkman123mkman123 Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭✭
    If we hear about more fake engelhard or JM, these old pour values may drop as everyone will be too scared and paranoid
    Successful Buying and Selling transactions with:

Many members on this forum that now it cannot fit in my signature. Please ask for entire list.
  • Options
    OnlyGoldIsMoneyOnlyGoldIsMoney Posts: 3,300 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Maybe not quite insanity, but defintely eyebrow raising. Not quite as much as the other older thread I did on this on a 7 oz Engelhard that ended going for $225/oz I believe, but these are crazy for what they are and for where Spot is at imo.

two 10 oz'ers and a 5 oz'er go for $1050

That's like $400/bar for the 10 oz'ers & $250 for the 5 oz'er, which is reasonable for a 5 oz'er currently as I have been offering up to $270 and not getting any bites, but $400/bar for 10's when Spot is under $30 and falling??? These weren't going for this much when Spot was $34 LOL.

$295 for a fairly common version 5 oz'er

So let's see. I'm offering people up to $270 (if the bar has a solid, complete strike and looks cool) and this seller will be netting $257 after all fees. I am perplexed why I am having a hard time aquiring 5 oz'ers when I'm beating what they are netting on eBay, even when the strike price is a ridiculous value of $290 image >>

The market for 5 oz Engelhard poured bars ranges from $250 to $300 for the common examples. The "right" 5 oz Engelhard bars can sell for far more than $290.

Those selling bars on ebay typically don't know which ones are more desirable. Quite reasonably sellers will take a chance on their bars being bid up.

Either your offered $270 is not sufficient in this market or the audience you can reach via the PCGS PM forum is too small.

As usual with the older poured bars, don't get stuck on spot.
  • Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

Any day now someone is going to start cranking out fake ones in china and selling them on alibaba.com 100,000 at a time

poured kilos
  • Options

<< <i>Any day now someone is going to start cranking out fake ones in china and selling them on alibaba.com 100,000 at a time

poured kilos >>

That will drive down the price. image
  • Options
    I checked out APMEX and they had 5 old poured Engelhard silver bars for over $320 each.
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,444 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I checked out APMEX and they had 5 old poured Engelhard silver bars for over $320 each. >>

At that price I would rather spend a couple of dollars more and buy some 10 oz old poured Engelhard bars---same design with twice the silver content. There are too many old and unusual bars to collect that don't require you to pay more than twice melt.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    piecesofmepiecesofme Posts: 6,669 ✭✭✭
    At that price I would rather spend a couple of dollars more and buy some 10 oz old poured Engelhard bars---same design with twice the silver content. There are too many old and unusual bars to collect that don't require you to pay more than twice melt.

Forget only 2x melt. Look what happened with 4 and 7 oz Engelhards when they became harder to find just like the 5's are getting now. They've (4's & 7's) have come down some since peaking at $3500 for a 4 oz'er and $2200 for 7's, but they are still bringing ALOT more than just 2x melt.
    Who's to say the same thing wont happen with 5's?
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,444 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>At that price I would rather spend a couple of dollars more and buy some 10 oz old poured Engelhard bars---same design with twice the silver content. There are too many old and unusual bars to collect that don't require you to pay more than twice melt.

Forget only 2x melt. Look what happened with 4 and 7 oz Engelhards when they became harder to find just like the 5's are getting now. They've (4's & 7's) have come down some since peaking at $3500 for a 4 oz'er and $2200 for 7's, but they are still bringing ALOT more than just 2x melt.
    Who's to say the same thing wont happen with 5's? >>

I was refering to the 5 oz bars in the previous post. Like I said before, there are too many nice and interesting bars that sell for only a modest premium above melt. I'll let you corner the market on the 4 oz and 7 oz bars. I wonder what these bars will be worth when the Chinese start faking them. It should be easy with their very simple design.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options

<< <i>At that price I would rather spend a couple of dollars more and buy some 10 oz old poured Engelhard bars---same design with twice the silver content. There are too many old and unusual bars to collect that don't require you to pay more than twice melt.

Who's to say the same thing wont happen with 5's? >>

Rich, the difference between the 5 oz examples and the 4 oz and 7 oz bars is supply. We're seeing a steady stream of 5 oz bars offered for sale - enough that we can predict what the common examples will fetch on ebay. I would estimate the 5 oz bars are at least 100 times more abundant than 4 oz bars.

At least some 5 oz bars are always available on ebay. 4 oz and 7 oz bars offerings have dried up. Typical and poorly struck examples of the 4's and 7's may not realize the peak prices from last Fall but the "right' bars still do.
  • Options
    rawteam1rawteam1 Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭

<< <i> If we hear about more fake engelhard or JM, these old pour values may drop as everyone will be too scared and paranoid

<< <i>

<< <i> I wonder what these bars will be worth when the Chinese start faking them. It should be easy with their very simple design. >>

value wont change at all...
    has value changed any real coin, bar silver or gold that has been faked?...
    keceph `anah