Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Blank planchet for 1793 half cent certified

Comments

• Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,544 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What a find that was.....Lucky soul that found it!

bobimage
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Neat.

And finally, a coin we don't have to debate the grade on. image
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    mkman123mkman123 Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭✭
    how come I can't find something like this!!!
    Successful Buying and Selling transactions with:

Many members on this forum that now it cannot fit in my signature. Please ask for entire list.
  • Options
    razzlerazzle Posts: 981 ✭✭
    Neat post and article, thank you.
    Markets (governments) can remain irrational longer than an investor can remain solvent.
  • Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,949 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, it's cool. But if I could have my choice of 1793 half cent errors, it would be one struck on a leftover 1792 Silver Center Cent planchet. image
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,147 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mint error or pattern? Inquiring minds want to know!
  • Options
    Mint error or pattern? Inquiring minds want to know!

Error.
    Andy Lustig

• Options

<< <i>Mint error or pattern? Inquiring minds want to know!

Error. >>

Do explain
  • Options
    AnkurJAnkurJ Posts: 11,366 ✭✭✭✭
    Very cool!
    All coins kept in bank vaults.
    PCGS Registries
    Box of 20
    SeaEagleCoins: 11/14/54-4/5/12. Miss you Larry!
  • Options
    ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,760 ✭✭✭✭
    That was my thought as well. Was this an error or something the Mint was working on?

Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • Options
    OriginalDanOriginalDan Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cool thing about it is we know what it is. Would have just been a round copper disc otherwise.
  • Options
    That's so cool
  • Options
    Error or leftover? Awesomely cool, though.
    Let's try not to get upset.
  • Options
    pennyanniepennyannie Posts: 3,929 ✭✭✭
    That is cool, you would have thought by now that most of the cool stuff has made its way into a slab. I wonder how many other cool coins are waiting to be found. Maybe the first struck...
    Mark
    NGC registry V-Nickel proof #6!!!!
    working on proof shield nickels # 8 with a bullet!!!!

RIP "BEAR"
  • Options

<< <i>When was the last time you had a little ole lady walk into your store with such an item inquiring as to its valueimage >>

Because everybody knows that what would happen next is that any dealer would instantly recognize what it was and offer the little ole lady five bucks for it. That's what you meant but didn't come right out and say, isn't it? image
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow, that IS cool.

Never having owned an 18th century US half cent, and forgetting about the lettered edge on them, I found myself initially wondering, "how in the heck did they know what it was?" before I clicked the link.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    astroratastrorat Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very cool. Let's hope it's not another Gallery Mint Museum piece manipulated to look real. image
    Numismatist Ordinaire
    See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces
  • Options
    goldengolden Posts: 9,072 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Super cool. Thanks for posting.
  • Options
    keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,456 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I want one!
    "If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • Options
    ConstantineConstantine Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭
    That is great it was recognized and saved all these years.
  • Options
    gonzergonzer Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Would not the actual striking from the dies flatten the edge lettering?
  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,228 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

Error. >>

Do explain >>

no date after having coins from 1792 with dates
    Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    I've always like unusual planchets and blanks, but this 1/2c planchet is possibly the neatest one I've ever seen or heard of-wow! Of course there are lots of large cents planchets, and there may even be a few half cent planchets (I don't recall any off the top of my head), but a half cent planchet which can be dated to 1793--that's really a special planchet.
    www.sullivannumismatics.com Dealer in Mint Error Coins.
  • Options
    Would not the actual striking from the dies flatten the edge lettering?

Only if the coin was struck in a close collar. And even if that were the case, the letters would not be obliterated, as they are incuse, not raised.
    Andy Lustig

• Options
    Has anyone ever seen any half cent planchets prior to this one (for the entire series--not simply 1793)?
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

Error. >>

Do explain >>

no date after having coins from 1792 with dates >>

Point being that it could just as easily be a pattern to test the edge lettering as a so called mint error.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

Error. >>

Do explain >>

no date after having coins from 1792 with dates >>

Point being that it could just as easily be a pattern to test the edge lettering as a so called mint error. >>

If the planchet weight and metal alloy is correct (which it is said to be correct), then it would make complete sense that this is simply what it appears to be: a planchet which had it's edge milled, but which was never struck and somehow made it out of the mint (perhaps it was indeed found with other mint scrap when the 1st mint was torn down--it's poor condition would seem to point to that as being a possibility.)

This exact error type is know on other coins as well, such as the presidential dollars (unstruck planchet with a lettered edge.)
  • Options
    Point being that it could just as easily be a pattern to test the edge lettering as a so called mint error.

If the edge device was different in any way than the edge device that was actually used on 1793 Half Cents, you could reasonably speculate that the piece was experimental, in which case it could be called a "pattern". That is, assuming the broadest definition of the word "pattern". But in this case, the edge is not unusual, so the odds of it being experimental are close to nil.
    Andy Lustig

• Options
    Has anyone ever seen any half cent planchets prior to this one (for the entire series--not simply 1793)?

Not in person, but I've seen the picture in the Breen Half Cent Encyclopedia.

BTW, Breen also cites Ebenezer Locke Mason, Jr.'s report (in 1869) of a 1793, but Breen said the planchet is "not now traced". In all probability, the new discovery is the same piece reported by Mason.
    Andy Lustig

• Options

<< <i>Point being that it could just as easily be a pattern to test the edge lettering as a so called mint error.

If the edge device was different in any way than the edge device that was actually used on 1793 Half Cents, you could reasonably speculate that the piece was experimental, in which case it could be called a "pattern". That is, assuming the broadest definition of the word "pattern". But in this case, the edge is not unusual, so the odds of it being experimental are close to nil. >>

You don't change if you've got it right. Perhaps my terminology was incorrect. I was thinking along the lines of a splasher - done to test that all is working correctly.
  • Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,294 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Seems like it's neither a pattern or error - simply unfinished, lost in process.
    "My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options
    I was thinking along the lines of a splasher - done to test that all is working correctly.

While that's possible, there's still no reason why they wouldn't have taken the successfully edged piece and turned it into a struck half cent.
    Andy Lustig

• Options

<< <i>Has anyone ever seen any half cent planchets prior to this one (for the entire series--not simply 1793)?

BTW, Breen also cites Ebenezer Locke Mason, Jr.'s report (in 1869) of a 1793, but Breen said the planchet is "not now traced". In all probability, the new discovery is the same piece reported by Mason. >>

It would make sense that this is the same coin, as you say. If I was the owner of the coin, or was a potential buyer of it, that information would certainly be worth connecting to this coin.
  • Options
    jonathanbjonathanb Posts: 3,432 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Has anyone ever seen any half cent planchets prior to this one (for the entire series--not simply 1793)? >>

Superior sold one about 10 years ago. Goldberg's sold two in the same auction about 2-4 years ago. I don't track these, so that's just off the top of my head. Maybe someone else can dig through the old sales and find them.
  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,228 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Point being that it could just as easily be a pattern to test the edge lettering as a so called mint error.

If the edge device was different in any way than the edge device that was actually used on 1793 Half Cents, you could reasonably speculate that the piece was experimental, in which case it could be called a "pattern". That is, assuming the broadest definition of the word "pattern". But in this case, the edge is not unusual, so the odds of it being experimental are close to nil. >>

hmm, so why put out a pattern of edge only when the design is a circulation one?

and if someone wanted a trial strike, one might think they'd just finish the whole coin using circulation dies.
    Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Has anyone ever seen any half cent planchets prior to this one (for the entire series--not simply 1793)? >>

Superior sold one about 10 years ago. Goldberg's sold two in the same auction about 2-4 years ago. I don't track these, so that's just off the top of my head. Maybe someone else can dig through the old sales and find them. >>

Are you sure they where half cent and not large cent? There a large cent planchets aplenty.
  • Options
    Aegis3Aegis3 Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭
    Look at the two Davy collection sales from the Goldbergs. A few there.
    --

Ed. S.

(EJS)
  • Options
    MidLifeCrisisMidLifeCrisis Posts: 10,521 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Seems like it's neither a pattern or error - simply unfinished, lost in process. >>

This.
  • Options
    Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,365 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Way,way,way beyond cool. Amazing!

Dave
    Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • Options
    jonathanbjonathanb Posts: 3,432 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, the Davy Collection sale is probably the one that I had in mind. Lot 367 Lot 368. Lot 368 says it's from the Superior 5/29/05 sale, which is probably the other one that I was thinking of.

Agreed that large cent planchets are much more common than half cent planchets.
  • Options
    MowgliMowgli Posts: 1,219
    Thanks for no one mentioning it is in the wrong plastic or doesn't have a bean. image
    In the land of the blind the one-eyed man is king.
  • Options
    northcoinnorthcoin Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Very cool. Let's hope it's not another Gallery Mint Museum piece manipulated to look real. image >>

another? Has this been a problem in the past? I wonder how difficult it would be for the Chinese to counterfeit something like this. At least NGC is not sticking its neck out on authenticating it since there isn't anything to compare it to even if found to not be authentic. Who wants to guess that PCGS turned it down first? After all the dealer who submitted it is located in PCGS country there in California. Or is this simply a type of item that PCGS does not authenticate and holder and NGC does?
  • Options
    astroratastrorat Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Very cool. Let's hope it's not another Gallery Mint Museum piece manipulated to look real. image >>

another? Has this been a problem in the past? >>

Yes, there was at least one example of a GMM copy being manipulated and thought to be a new die variety. I believe it was even published in Coin World.
    Numismatist Ordinaire
    See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces
  • Options
    northcoinnorthcoin Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

another? Has this been a problem in the past? >>

Yes, there was at least one example of a GMM copy being manipulated and thought to be a new die variety. I believe it was even published in Coin World. >>

Did the example make it so far as to get into a TPG holder, and if so was it NGC or PCGS?
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Seems like it's neither a pattern or error - simply unfinished, lost in process. >>

This. >>

Exactly. How is this an error?
  • Options
    mariner67mariner67 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭
    220 yr old raw mint error....wow, will wonders never cease!
    Successful trades/buys/sells with gdavis70, adriana, wondercoin, Weiss, nibanny, IrishMike, commoncents05, pf70collector, kyleknap, barefootjuan, coindeuce, WhiteTornado, Nefprollc, ajw, JamesM, PCcoins, slinc, coindudeonebay,beernuts, and many more
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,565 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Has anyone ever seen any half cent planchets prior to this one (for the entire series--not simply 1793)?

BTW, Breen also cites Ebenezer Locke Mason, Jr.'s report (in 1869) of a 1793, but Breen said the planchet is "not now traced". In all probability, the new discovery is the same piece reported by Mason. >>

Good point!
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file