Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

1970s Decade MEGA open forum

Hello all,
I would like to introduce an open forum for all collectors of ANY and EVERY major set in the 1970s. I would like to be able to see jpgs of some of the best cards of this decade, be notified of major set breaks, with some discussion of the outcome. Hear about the latest gossip of new finds and major offerings, and debate the merits and faults of various yearly issues. I would like this thread to have invaluable insight for new collectors, or some of us who are re-living our childhood through rebuilding collections from our youth. I am writing a book about collecting high end cards, and I know I will gain some terrific insights from the experienced collectors who visit this forum. Our network is surprisingly small, it would be great if all the major collectors in this decade got to know each other on a first name basis.
In regards to spam, how about we agree that notices of set breaks will require the set break to be at or above 50% of the set. Notices of key cards should be welcome, although I know that buyers like myself always want to keep auctions on the low because we want to "steal" as many cards at bargain prices as we can. But open forums should always be about sharing information. This forum should NOT become an advertising vehicle for dealers or sellers, so the rule should be no SELF promotion of sales. I noticed that many yearly threads from the 70s have died off over the past 5 years...so hopefully as a decade we can bring some collectors focused on a single year back into the forum.
I will begin with a major point in my book. It is time for there to be a 4th classic/iconic set. The T206, 33 Goudey, and 52Topps trinity is outdated because it is currently missing several generations of stars (i.e from Koufax/Clemente/Mays/Aaron to Rose/Jackson/Seaver/Maris to Brett/Ryan/Schmidt). I believe that the next classic set will have certain requirements: First, of course, poplularity. Second, the set must be difficult to put together in higher grade (If the population is too high it really cant be iconic can it?). Third, star/rookie power. The set must have some valuable anchors with regard to rookies (i.e. the 52 Mantle) Fourth, it must capture stars that transcend generations. For example, one of the reasons for the popularity of the 33 Goudey is the sheer number of HOF contained in the set. Some old, some young. Finally, the set must have some interesting stories behind it. The set must transcend just being the issue of that year.
Based on these requirements, and A LOT of thought and research, IMHO the two finalists for the next classic set is either the 1971 Topps Black Beauties or the 1975 Topps Mini (I must state that the reason I am selecting the Mini over the regular is based on my own preference as I am 100% biased having grown up in Michigan, and because the population of the Regular issue is exceptionally high as I mapped the population of the entire decade).
As a disclaimer: I have been buying cards from these two sets heavily over the past 5 year (I am a mini fanatic). However, I have put together two near runs of all the 1970s. I would like to hear every1 else's opinions.
Thoughts?
75 Minis - GET IN MY BELLY!

Comments

• Options
    I'm picking 1971 OPC as THE set for 70's hockey.
  • Options
    At the risk of talking to myself...I give a hat-tip to digicat who posted about getting a white-whale (a difficult card he has been looking for). This is a great term. My definition is an otherwise low priced common but for some reason (ie. placement on the sheet, printing defect) is incredibly difficult to find in pristine condition. This leads to the card being quite valuable to set builders of a particular year and the card becomes highly sought after.
    What are the top twenty white-whales of the 1970s? Some to think about (I'll give my 2 cents on order later):
    1970 070 AS McDowell (so many of these AS cards are impossible)
    1971 536 Claude Raymond...probably 1/2 dozen more I can include but this is the biggie
    1972 292 Hal McRae IA
    1972 040 Barton IA (many of these are tough such as Vida Blue and Foli)
    1973 247 Del Unser (the absolute beast of this set)
    1975 mini 647 Claudell Washington
    1975 mini 564 Davis
    1975 mini 302 Burleson (the 1975 regular issue has valuable whales but their pops are too high)
    1976 372 Briggs
    1976 302 Miller
    1977 483 Zisk
    1977 255 Scott
    1979 273 Terrell
    1979 187 Lemongello (hard to say with 1979s because so much ungraded floating but there are many centering issues, these might be the worst)

(edited for grammer)
  • Options
    ldfergldferg Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭
    Good thread

76 Brett
    78 Ryan

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

1985 Topps Football (starting in psa 8) - #9 - started 05/21/06
  • Options
    Thanks LD, those two along with cards such as the 79 Ozzie Smith and 73 Joe Morgan/ Yaz, will be a different list of the toughest stars in the 1970s. The white-whale has to be a common because you end up thinking "What in the hell have i been chasing all these years? Really?"
  • Options
    ldfergldferg Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭
    I will try again.

78 - Fred Lynn, Rick burleson, bob Watson, Johnny Oates
    79 - Marc hill, ERA leaders

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

1985 Topps Football (starting in psa 8) - #9 - started 05/21/06
  • Options
    gemintgemint Posts: 6,069 ✭✭✭✭✭
    While 1974 is a pretty easy set, the Steve Braun card can be a bear to find centered and in high grade. Some others:

1971 Lee Maye, Jim Shellenback
    1972 Schaal IA, Ken Henderson
    1973 5th series checklist, Don Wilson
  • Options
    Great pics Paul! I knew you would find your way here eventually image Your 79 set is fantastic. I am pretty sure you beat me out of a huge 1979 psa 10 lot a couple years ago at one of the major auctions. I agree that the Marc Hill might be an over-rated rare (mainly because of the smudge on the name). That Lemongello is fantastic - all mine are 90-10 or worse (I may have bought a decent 8). You also bring up an interesting point. My lists will be based on 9s across the decade. But for 1978 and 1979 the standard might be 10s...
  • Options
    Thanks Gemint, that was an oversight, I definitely should have added the Maye and Shellenbeck on the initial list. Those two are tough. The other is the 1974 small print variation checklist. I think I lost out on a recent auction of 1 in an 8 at 400+ (cant remember of the top of my head). I put in what i thought was a winning snipe in the high 300s. I was quite surprised but shouldn't have been.
  • Options
    Always found these to be tough to find in high grade.

1971-Mike Wegener & Phil Regan

1972-Vida Blue IA& Expos Team

1973-Hal Breedan & Ken Aspromonte (Indians Manager)

1974-Joe Lis
    From what I can tell, 707 is the DOLLAR STORE compared to deans_cards. For what that guy charges, if I ever bought anything from him I would expect it to be delivered to me in a frickin' limo.
    ~WalterSobchak
  • Options
    1971 20 Jackson psa 9 up for auction! Beautiful card - unfortunately, I am busted atm
  • Options
    Indy78Indy78 Posts: 802 ✭✭✭
    On the 79 Hill, the biggest problem I see with that card as far as general eye appeal is horrible focus/out of register. I don't think I've ever seen a clear one.
  • Options

<< <i>On the 79 Hill, the biggest problem I see with that card as far as general eye appeal is horrible focus/out of register. I don't think I've ever seen a clear one. >>

+1 great point, I forgot about the headache inducing beer goggle effect on that Hill.

1979 is an interesting year. I always thought that there were tons of high-grade raw cards (which was true) but completing the set has been vastly more difficult than it might seem. The centering is truly horrid on groups of cards and the paper stock is the 2nd worst in the decade behind the 1977s. I have lots of raw, but I am slowing getting less confident that it is enough for me to put together a complete pristine set.
  • Options
    jackstrawjackstraw Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭
    I can chime in on the 76 set. Honestly I don't think the pop reports are that good of a gage?
    For instance about 6 or 7 years ago 4SC popped 10 gem mint 10 #95 Brooks Robinsons.
    I don't know about you but I have never seen a Brooks Robinson that looked gem mint to me.
    They always look off to me and dare anyone to post one that isn't diamond cut or short top to bottom.

#6 Stennett RB
    #7 Umbarger
    #8 Fuentes
    #11 Hughes
    #21 Laroche
    #32 Frisella
    #35 Oliva
    #36 Tavares
    #45 Powell
    #51 Burris
    #79 Morales
    #84 Strom

I know there is more in the 1st 100 but thats it off the top of my head... These are all tough to find mint and centered no tilts..
    Collector Focus

ON ITS WAY TO NEWPORT BEACH, CA 92658
  • Options
    That #6 Stennett RB is a myth in a 9...pop says over 13 but I have never seen one! Been looking for 6 years counting on that one
  • Options
    101 - 200 off the top of my head..

#119 Checklist
    #126 Dettore
    #133 Matthews
    #134 Mike Ivie
    #137 Bill Robinson
    #148 Thomas
    #150 Garvey
    #157 Caldwell
    #161 Kison
    #162 Pierce
    #163 Slaton
    #168 Hilgendorf
    #169 Nettles
    #170 Wise
    #176 Lange
    #181 Montanez
    #182 Rasmussen
    #183 Braun
    #184 Grief
    #187 Garcia
    Collector Focus

• Options
    sufferjet is at it again...huge 1977 set break and a Fidrych 9 siting!
  • Options
    okay guesses on what this set sells for? Almost all 9s, a few 8s of low pop commons...
  • Options
    He will do well on some of the cards.. The Guidry will get good money. I have only got through the 600's so far.
    Reminds me of how I miss Phil here on the boards. Yeah he was twisted and short fused but he knew his 77's
    better than anyone.
    Collector Focus

• Options
    hammeredhammered Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭
    Hey Henry!
    Interesting thread
    I'll add:
    1973 - 588 Checklist
    1974 - 111 Clay Carroll
    1975 regular - 90 Staub, 196 MVPs, 373 Frisella
    1976 - pretty much been covered
    1977 - 610 Cardenal and one that's eluded me for 8 years, 656 Guidry - have yet to get anywhere near a 9
  • Options
    bobsbbcardsbobsbbcards Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭

<< <i>The other is the 1974 small print variation checklist. I think I lost out on a recent auction of 1 in an 8 at 400+ (cant remember of the top of my head). I put in what i thought was a winning snipe in the high 300s. I was quite surprised but shouldn't have been. >>

My one jaw-dropping self submission for my '74 set:

• Options
    GDM67GDM67 Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭✭
    The '77 Jerry Royster (#549) is a Pop 7 in 9 and Pop 1 in 10.
  • Options
    wow! that scan of the small print variation is sweet
  • Options
    It's weird that the Kirkpatrick and Miller are both tough in 76 and 77.

Yeah his Royster is real nice too.

Nice card Bob!
    Collector Focus

• Options
    Fidrych 9 sold for 341.00! That is a hammer price, 4 different bidders over 250.00.
  • Options

<< <i>Hey Henry!
    Interesting thread
    I'll add:
    1973 - 588 Checklist
    1974 - 111 Clay Carroll
    1975 regular - 90 Staub, 196 MVPs, 373 Frisella
    1976 - pretty much been covered
    1977 - 610 Cardenal and one that's eluded me for 8 years, 656 Guidry - have yet to get anywhere near a 9 >>

Hey Hammered! How have you been?
    havent chatted in a looong time, have you been active selling, or did I finally buy you out? image
  • Options
    Does the 77 Seaver usually sell that high or was it a fluke?

77 Seaver
    Collector Focus

• Options
    Yah that Seaver usually sells for between 150.00 and 200.00 in a 9 and is over 1000.00 in a 10, hard card to find centered in that year. I was way down on the bidder list on that one. I barely won the Fidrych Rookie
  • Options
    According to Sufferjet, his 1977 mostly psa 9 set went for 14K+; not a bad price...I still think it is vastly undervalued given how difficult a large number of the commons are, but it really is not widely collected. Congrats on his setbreak, it did a nice job of reseting the VCP of the 9s to a much more fair value
  • Options
    vettfanaticvettfanatic Posts: 643 ✭✭✭

<< <i>According to Sufferjet, his 1977 mostly psa 9 set went for 14K+; not a bad price...I still think it is vastly undervalued given how difficult a large number of the commons are, but it really is not widely collected. Congrats on his setbreak, it did a nice job of reseting the VCP of the 9s to a much more fair value >>

I helped with that total a little bit. I paid $179.50 for his #79 Don Money. I've been looking for this card for several years and was not gonna let it get away. It's amazing how difficult some of those 77's are.

Jeff
  • Options
    Hey Vette,
    agreed - there were a couple I did not want to lose out on...the Kusick hasn't been sold for 3 years and I didn't want that to pass (won with bid over 220ish), I never want to lose out on a Fidrych 9 (probably close to the definition of stupid to announce it on this thread lol), I also really wanted the Spillner 9 but lost out on that one. Overall, I lost 2 out of 3 bids so there were definitely active bidders. In the end, I am very happy with what I got and how much I paid. The good thing is that as I go through the VCP the low pop cards are relatively fairly priced now. Before this auction there were dozens of very low pop cards that were listed for ridiculously low prices like 9.00. The 2012 Jan VCP was around 10K, I suspect this auction would have a VCP of 15-16K if we added the several low pop cards that were only an 8 in this auction. From 10K VCP to around 15K on this auction is pretty nice in 15 months.
  • Options
    EstilEstil Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭✭
    I still got several 1975-77 PSA 7's and 1978-79 PSA 8's (see my sig) I still need to finish my sets, but I keep putting it off due to my video game collection, and even though I'm getting more into cards again, I seem to be more into early/mid 90s insert sets and now I'm starting to get into Fleer/Ultra football/basketball (1990-96), especially (again) the insert sets. So what can ya do?
    WISHLIST
    Dimes: 54S, 53P, 50P, 49S, 45D+S, 44S, 43D, 41S, 40D+S, 39D+S, 38D+S, 37D+S, 36S, 35D+S, all 16-34's
    Quarters: 52S, 47S, 46S, 40S, 39S, 38S, 37D+S, 36D+S, 35D, 34D, 32D+S
    74 Topps: 37,38,46,47,48,138,151,193,210,214,223,241,256,264,268,277,289,316,435,552,570,577,592,602,610,654,655
    1997 Finest silver: 115, 135, 139, 145, 310
    1995 Ultra Gold Medallion Sets: Golden Prospects, HR Kings, On-Base Leaders, Power Plus, RBI Kings, Rising Stars
  • Options
    Moon Dog nice pick up on the 76 Brett 9. Would love to see it...
    Collector Focus

• Options
    Thanks Jack! That card, as hard as it is, and even though everyone knows how hard it is...is still an absolute beast. The pop went up by 2, I have to think that these are 8 reviews because the raw is so abysmal. Will get a scan in a couple months (cant get to it until May)
  • Options
    Hello everyone.. I've been ripping open 71' cello packs this past month, and the 1971 Topps Frank Linzy (#551), Ron Klimkowski (#28), Dick Bosman (#60), the Checklist 133-262 (Card # centered), and Howie Reed (#398) each have printing problems and centering issues. I found 1 Reed that was worth submitting (out of of 8)! These are some of the tougher cards I have come across.
    Collecting 1962-1985 Topps Baseball with an emphasis on the 70's!

http://www.psacard.com/PSASetRegistry/MemberImageGallery.aspx?m=8724
  • Options
    Mind me asking where in the world did you come up with 1971 cellos?
  • Options
    Not at all... My uncle closed his grocery store back in 1974. He gave me several boxes of the 30 count 71' cellos and some 72' and 73' wax packs. He wasn't a big baseball fan at all. I have had a few graded, but these are what I used to build the majority of my PSA collection. When PSA has a good CC Special, I open a few and send them in for grading.

The 71' Willie Davis and Jim Brewer are tough cards to find with nice centering as well.

• Options
    vettfanaticvettfanatic Posts: 643 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Not at all... My uncle closed his grocery store back in 1974. He gave me several boxes of the 30 count 71' cellos and some 72' and 73' wax packs. He wasn't a big baseball fan at all. I have had a few graded, but these are what I used to build the majority of my PSA collection. When PSA has a good CC Special, I open a few and send them in for grading.

The 71' Willie Davis and Jim Brewer are tough cards to find with nice centering as well. >>

How about some pictures of those unopened packs?

Jeff
  • Options
    You should keep some sealed, graded and sold! Those have to be extremely rare! You owe your grand-pappy bigtime! image I would love to see scans as well, do you have some with stars on top?
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,521 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Not at all... My uncle closed his grocery store back in 1974. He gave me several boxes of the 30 count 71' cellos and some 72' and 73' wax packs. He wasn't a big baseball fan at all. I have had a few graded, but these are what I used to build the majority of my PSA collection. When PSA has a good CC Special, I open a few and send them in for grading.

The 71' Willie Davis and Jim Brewer are tough cards to find with nice centering as well. >>

Would definitely be interested in purchasing a graded (or raw) 71 cello pack, if you have any available.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    Would definitely be interested in purchasing a graded (or raw) 71 cello pack, if you have any available.

Unfortunately, I opened the last of them, and I sent the cards in for grading. I should get some high grades back though. As for selling my packs, I have 3 graded cello packs that are very rare and not for sale. I do appreciate your interest. These are very hard to find.

• Options

<< <i>How about some pictures of those unopened packs? >>

Hi Jeff, I don't have anymore unopened packs, and I didn't think about taking any pics of the packs... I'm more of a card guy...I will try to get some scans of my graded cello packs up for you guys. Unfortunately, I don't keep any high-end material at the house, so it will be a month or so until I get to it.

Paul

• Options

<< <i>You should keep some sealed, graded and sold! Those have to be extremely rare! You owe your grand-pappy bigtime! image I would love to see scans as well, do you have some with stars on top? >>

Thanks mintmoondog.. I opened the last of them, and I sent the cards in for grading. I like the cards more than the packs! I do have 2 PSA 7 cellos and 1 PSA 8. I will keep these for my sonsimage I will get some scans up for you guys soon.

Paul

• Options

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    1973Unser

Okay that hurt! But this has to be a top 5 white whale in the 1970s. Those prices in the PWCC were incredible. The Tony Perez 1971 psa9 (pop 7) sold for 1100.
  • Options

<< <i>1973Unser

Okay that hurt! But this has to be a top 5 white whale in the 1970s. Those prices in the PWCC were incredible. The Tony Perez 1971 psa9 (pop 7) sold for 1100. >>

$1,200 for a PSA 9 73 Del Unser?? The registry is indeed a powerful drug, LOL!

• Options
    softparadesoftparade Posts: 9,271 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wish there was a way to dig up my 78 rack case rip thread from 8 years ago. I have tried.

ISO 1978 Topps Baseball in NM-MT High Grade Raw 3, 100, 103, 302, 347, 376, 416, 466, 481, 487, 509, 534, 540, 554, 579, 580, 622, 642, 673, 724__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ISO 1978 O-Pee-Chee in NM-MT High Grade Raw12, 21, 29, 38, 49, 65, 69, 73, 74, 81, 95, 100, 104, 110, 115, 122, 132, 133, 135, 140, 142, 151, 153, 155, 160, 161, 167, 168, 172, 179, 181, 196, 200, 204, 210, 224, 231, 240

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>1973Unser

Okay that hurt! But this has to be a top 5 white whale in the 1970s. Those prices in the PWCC were incredible. The Tony Perez 1971 psa9 (pop 7) sold for 1100. >>

$1,200 for a PSA 9 73 Del Unser?? The registry is indeed a powerful drug, LOL! >>

I feel really stupid on one level for paying that much...
    but on another level, I think I might feel stupider! lol Regardless, this card is impossible. If you look at the recent prices for low pop 9s (under 12) for 73s, the prices have been skyrocketing over the past 3 years. Several deep pockets are trying to get their set to 9, and it is not easy to find these low pops.
  • Options
    GB5HOFGB5HOF Posts: 590
    WOW!

And I was happy I upgraded my 7 to an 8 this week. Have not seen a 9 the entire time I've been putting my 73 set together. Very cool.
  • Options

<< <i>Okay that hurt! But this has to be a top 5 white whale in the 1970s. Those prices in the PWCC were incredible. The Tony Perez 1971 psa9 (pop 7) sold for 1100. >>

That 73' Unser is a white whale, but the grade given to that card was a 9?? I've seen better 8's with no printing flaws and better centering. In my opinion, the card was way over priced. On the other hand, the Tony Perez card was a high-end 9!

• Options

<< <i> That 73' Unser is a white whale, but the grade given to that card was a 9?? I've seen better 8's with no printing flaws and better centering. In my opinion, the card was way over priced. On the other hand, the Tony Perez card was a high-end 9! >>

What don't you like about the card? Is it the tiny fisheyes or the slightly diamond cut? image
    I look at it this way...every once in a while you gotta buy the case not the card. For example, let's suppose you are in a bar and you run into Ms. Columbia from the most recent Ms. Universe contest. However, is she not that great looking in real life, in fact you are not very attracted to her at all, but you have a chance to stay with her...it is a no-brainer. How many times are you gonna be able to sleep with a country's Ms. Universe? When you are putting together a decade, you are Clinton on an elephant's worth of Viagra.