Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

When ya get time - share something really "Oddball" in your collection

A few years back I picked up this full toy watch cardboard sales card.

The main reason I picked it up was the "baseball" theme - the card is a TV with a player at bat.

Best I could tell - this item is 50/60s?
Mike

Comments

• ReggieClevelandReggieCleveland Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oddball, I like it.

Here's an old can of Joe Louis hair pomade. There's still quite a bit of pomade in it.

Here's an old Jack Dempsey whiskey bottle. I've also got a 1/10 pint bottle that is in much better shape, with the tax stamp and everything.

• qualitycardsqualitycards Posts: 2,811 ✭✭✭
    Here's a nice large oddball item, 5 feet tall and dedicated to Anthony

• frankhardyfrankhardy Posts: 8,044 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I love this thread idea, Mike.

Here is a little folk art. It is a 3/4" thick wood cartoon cutout of Frank Robinson that has been signed in black Sharpie. I think it looks just like him!

An interesting thing about this is that when I got it a few years ago, the bat was missing. A few weeks ago, I was in our kitchen and somehow a wood piece on our wood paper towel holder got broken. I looked at it and said, "Hmm, I think I might be able to use that. So, I widdled it down on the end with my knife and it fit right into his hands. Now, he has a brand new bat!

Shane

• PiggsPiggs Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭✭
    When I was a kid living in Oregon in the 80's I remember seeing in the classified ads a guy selling baseball cards in the small town of Lebanon. It was a older gentleman who was born and raised there and I don't even remember the cards he had but he mentioned he had his old high school leather shoulder pads and leather helmet. We crawled up in his attic and my dad and I bought them off him. I can't find the helmet, which is really cool but here's my son Charlie modeling them tonight. I interupted his video game session. LOL

Edited to add old picture of Charlie with the helmet.

imageimage
  • swartz1swartz1 Posts: 4,911 ✭✭✭
    Growing up in South Jersey I worked at an antique shop...

the owner got in a truck load of printer type stuff...

needless to say, I wound up getting this piece...

Looking for 1970 MLB Photostamps
    - uncut

Positive Transactions - tennesseebanker, Ahmanfan, Donruss, Colebear, CDsNuts, rbdjr1, Downtown1974, yankeeno7, drewsef, mnolan, mrbud60, msassin, RipublicaninMass, AkbarClone, rustywilly, lsutigers1973, julen23 and nam812, plus many others...
  • aconteaconte Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭
    Good stuff Mike!

Here's one of mine that is card related. Sports card locker from the 1970's. Usually, these are found in ok condition. This one is close to mint. The team stickers are still there and unused.

aconte

• mcadamsmcadams Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭
    Since the Joe Louis "pomade" was made before the days of listing ingredients on products labels.....help me out. What is Pomade made of ?
    Successful transactions with: thedutymon, tsalems1, davidpuddy, probstein123, lodibrewfan, gododgersfan, dialj, jwgators, copperjj, larryp, hookem, boopotts, crimsontider, rogermnj, swartz1, Counselor

Always buying Bobby Cox inserts. PM me.
  • gameusedhoopgameusedhoop Posts: 3,535 ✭✭✭

<< <i>What is Pomade made of ? >>

By reading the directions for use, I would guess animal fat of some kind. Sort of like a crisco oil. But this is just a guess.
  • gameusedhoopgameusedhoop Posts: 3,535 ✭✭✭
    From wiki:

In the early 19th century bear fat was a common pomade ingredient,[2] but by the early 20th century petroleum jelly,[3] beeswax, and lard were more commonly used.[4]

Pomades were once much more popular than they are today, although they have made somewhat of a comeback in 2010 with recent additions to the marketplace that feature far less lanolin or bees wax in their formulations. They are associated with the slick men's hairstyles of the early to middle 20th century. Other more modern hairstyles involving the use of pomade include the Ducktail, Pompadour, and Quiff.

Early 20th century examples of pomade are Royal Crown Hair Dressing, originating in 1936 pictured above, or "Murray's Superior Pomade", originating in the 1920s [5] pictured right. Dixie Peach Hair Pomade was a popular pomade in the USA from World War II through the 1960s with teenage boys.

My guess from above was pretty close.
  • BunchOBullBunchOBull Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭
    1991 White Sox Charity Cookbook

Collector of most things Frank Thomas. www.BigHurtHOF.com
  • GriffinsGriffins Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭
    this is pretty out on the edge....

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• KNAPPKNAPP Posts: 654 ✭✭✭

the KNAPP collection - specializing in boxing and wrestling
    Always looking to buy or trade for Andre the Giant autographs
    psacard.com/psasetregistry/non-sports/famous-personage/andre-giant-master-set/alltimeset/180400

• Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Now that's some really cool stuff!

Here's a set that's not only "odd" but just plain Ugly. I presented these years ago - and put it together piece by piece - it's actually cheaper and easier to buy it complete.

1952 Baseball Emblems

They were made by the C. McDonald MFG, Co, No Wilbraham, Mass. – copyright – 1952.

They can be used to display on your car, bike or used as an ice scraper.

There are 16 teams to the checklist – I put them in the order the teams finished the 1952 season – in the WS – the Dodgers faced the Yanks – Yanks prevailed of course.

American League

1. Yanks
    2. Indians
    3. White Sox
    4. Athletics
    5. Senators
    6. Red Sox
    7. Browns
    8. Tigers

National League

1. Dodgers
    2. Giants
    3. Cardinals
    4. Phillies
    5. Cubs
    6. Reds
    7. Braves
    8. Pirates

Mike
  • otwcardsotwcards Posts: 5,291 ✭✭✭

<< <i>this is pretty out on the edge.... >>

Ding, ding, ding! We have a winner!!!

Nothing better than a collectible that when used properly, keeps you safe and limits the possibility of adding another collector to the hobby. I wonder if it is transparent? And thankfully, it wasn't "game used" by the Splendid Splinter, because that would be a different "insert" altogether and would have to be PSA/DNA certified!

• JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,171 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just back from PSA>

nullimage

Joe
    2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set

<< <i>

<< <i>this is pretty out on the edge.... >>

Ding, ding, ding! We have a winner!!!

Nothing better than a collectible that when used properly, keeps you safe and limits the possibility of adding another collector to the hobby. I wonder if it is transparent? And thankfully, it wasn't "game used" by the Splendid Splinter, because that would be a different "insert" altogether and would have to be PSA/DNA certified! >>

I'm shocked that Anthony's didn't come back Min Size Req.
    Thanx for posting guys!

The "odd" or the unusual is what interests me - many of the games I collect fall in that category. Picked up a few tonite - will be showing when they come in.

Here's another - tho I have quite a bit of "Mick" stuff - this one is somewhat grotesquely odd.

Mike
  • CWCW Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭
    This is authentic left field foul territory dirt from Tiger Stadium, scooped up by me on 9-27-99, final game at Michigan and Trumbull. I have a film container full of this, and it's the most cherished dirt in my collection...

• GDM67GDM67 Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>From wiki:

In the early 19th century bear fat was a common pomade ingredient,[2] but by the early 20th century petroleum jelly,[3] beeswax, and lard were more commonly used.[4]

Pomades were once much more popular than they are today, although they have made somewhat of a comeback in 2010 with recent additions to the marketplace that feature far less lanolin or bees wax in their formulations. They are associated with the slick men's hairstyles of the early to middle 20th century. Other more modern hairstyles involving the use of pomade include the Ducktail, Pompadour, and Quiff.

Early 20th century examples of pomade are Royal Crown Hair Dressing, originating in 1936 pictured above, or "Murray's Superior Pomade", originating in the 1920s [5] pictured right. Dixie Peach Hair Pomade was a popular pomade in the USA from World War II through the 1960s with teenage boys.
    >>

You could special order Dapper Dan. Took two weeks to get here.
  • IronmanfanIronmanfan Posts: 5,424 ✭✭✭✭
    signed business card from the Phillies team doctor who treated Cal Ripken Jr. after he broke his nose prior to the '96 All Star Game

IMF
    Successful dealings with Wcsportscards94558, EagleEyeKid, SamsGirl214, Volver, DwayneDrain, Oaksey25, Griffins, Cardfan07, Etc.
  • Technically wouldn't that might be a HIPAA violation?
    I'm building a 1968 and a 1970 Topps set. I have lots of 1970s and 1960s to offer in trade.
  • fmclaug11fmclaug11 Posts: 325 ✭✭✭
    Another folk-art type item...

1935 Hand Sewn Pictures of the 1935 Detroit Tigers - Modeled after what I believe were inserts from the Detroit Free Press (if anyone has these inserts let me know)

<< <i>Technically wouldn't that might be a HIPAA violation? >>

I was thinking the same thing.

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• << <i>

<< <i>Technically wouldn't that might be a HIPAA violation? >>

I was thinking the same thing. >>

HIPPA was enacted in 1996. It was enacted in August of '96 and the All Star game was a month before that. image

<< <i>

<< <i>From wiki:

>>

You could special order Dapper Dan. Took two weeks to get here. >>

This place is two weeks from everything!
  • Vintage racing stickers
    Looking to buy/trade for any Holman Moody (NASCAR) related items you may have.
  • CWCW Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭
    WHAT??!!! This is the "Oddball" thread and I see Leon Luckey made the last post, so I click to see what crazy item is posted by Leon, and.... NOTHING??

Wow... talk about a letdown.

imageimage

Not to mention the fact that I"m sure he cheated by looking that up.
    Leon, I really expected some really esoteric issue with a quarter next to it.

• swartz1swartz1 Posts: 4,911 ✭✭✭
    Here is another...

Looking for 1970 MLB Photostamps
    - uncut

Positive Transactions - tennesseebanker, Ahmanfan, Donruss, Colebear, CDsNuts, rbdjr1, Downtown1974, yankeeno7, drewsef, mnolan, mrbud60, msassin, RipublicaninMass, AkbarClone, rustywilly, lsutigers1973, julen23 and nam812, plus many others...

• << <i>Thanx for posting guys!

The "odd" or the unusual is what interests me - many of the games I collect fall in that category. Picked up a few tonite - will be showing when they come in.

Here's another - tho I have quite a bit of "Mick" stuff - this one is somewhat grotesquely odd.

image >>

I've actually owned two of them in my lifetime. Both bought at estate sales. Both had different boxes than that one, one more black and white (with the red). Each had Mantle's face on the box and in the instruction manuals...So for the true oddball collector, not only could you own a "Mickey Mantle Isometric Minute-A-Day Gym", but you could own several different versions of the box.

I did at one point have a Joe Namath Popcorn Popper...
    Next MONTH? So he's saying that if he wins, the best-case scenario is that he'll be paying for it two weeks after the auction ends?

Forget blocking him; find out where he lives and go punch him in the nuts. --WalterSobchak 9/12/12

Looking for Al Hrabosky and any OPC Dave Campbells (the ESPN guy)
  • Here ya go guys.....This white cap Matty proof is different...not sure if it counts? And a 1909 Obak proof strip to boot...

Works for me Leon.

The coke clock is "odd" to my collection - I saw it on ebay a few years back and it reminded me of the clock that was in the candy store I frequented as a kid.

Just think - the place ya go for that much anticipated "next" edition of Superman - a cold coke - a candy bar - a pack of Topps: hoping for a Duke Snider card....

Mike
  • I don't collect photos generally, so this is an oddball for my collection. I thought some others might enjoy seeing it...

• YogiBerraFanYogiBerraFan Posts: 2,390 ✭✭
    Now that is a cool photo image