Home Precious Metals
Options

establishing a PM Metals IRA

derrybderryb Posts: 36,203 ✭✭✭✭✭
I would never do it but for those looking into it APMEX explains the process.

Keep an open mind, or get financially repressed -Zoltan Pozsar

Comments

• Options
    CNoteCNote Posts: 2,070
    Would you never do it because you want to have the physical metal at all times?
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,420 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Do you really want the government to know what you own in the way of PM's?

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    CNoteCNote Posts: 2,070
    Just asking...but, you make a good point. Best to keep something like this hidden from prying eyes.
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,203 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Would you never do it because you want to have the physical metal at all times? >>

Not really, my IRA is in metals, but only paper ones that I can get into and out of with the push of a button. I don't want my retirement locked into a physical asset for that long a period. The metal bull run will eventually end and many holders of these accounts, too young to withdraw, will watch their savings disappear? Think of it as having been able to put housing deeds in your IRA prior to 2008.

<< <i>Do you really want the government to know what you own in the way of PM's? >>

They could care less. What they do care about is that I pay taxes on any profit they generate. They are fully positioned electronically to ensure that I do without knowing what I own.

Keep an open mind, or get financially repressed -Zoltan Pozsar

• Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Do you really want the government to know what you own in the way of PM's? >>

The Gov't don't care what type of IRA you own, as long as you pay Uncle when you start withdrawing....a 1099 will be their only reference.
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."