Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

Edward VIII Bargain? Maybe Not....

Wow, not sure I have the pocket change for this duo! Somebody help with the link as I could get no pictures...
The oxidation spot on E's cheek looks to be erupting from below like a pimple - could this be plated? Shame about that.
IMO, these are overpriced despite the connection.

Crown 1937 Edward VIII pair of models
[100031] £50,000.00

Click to enlarge
A once in a life time opportunity to own a pair of genuine Edward VIII model coins. These were Royal Mint trials produced during the short-lived reign of Edward VIII in 1936. The reverse was later used for the 1937 George VI crown, but the obverse was of course never used, due to the abdication. Possibly a unique pair, these both originally belonged to Thomas Humprey Paget, who was the designer of the Edward VIII bust.

They were sold through London auctioneer Bonhams a number of years ago and are now being offered (for a limited time) on predecimal.com.

As you can see, both sides are uniface with the word 'MODEL' on the blank side. Huge investment potential, and at £50,000 for the pair they really aren't expensive. Both are as struck, with some toning spots due to incorrect storage in the past. No credit cards or paypal for these. Serious enquiries to cp@predecimal.com.

Click to enlarge

This product was added to the website on Thursday 03 May, 2012.

Quantity:

Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
Well, just Love coins, period.

Comments

• WillieBoyd2WillieBoyd2 Posts: 5,034 ✭✭✭✭✭
    https://www.brianrxm.com
    The Mysterious Egyptian Magic Coin
    Coins in Movies
    Coins on Television

• EVillageProwlerEVillageProwler Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just love it when the seller claims a huge investment potential. Wonder how much they sold for at Bonham's?

How does one get a hater to stop hating?

I can be reached at evillageprowler@gmail.com

• Pretty neat. Really good strike but that looks like more than just toning spots, ouch.

Successful BST deals with mustangt and jesbroken. Now EVERYTHING is for sale.

• lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,194 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ew. Those "toning spots" look like plague buboes.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • mnemtsas2mnemtsas2 Posts: 745 ✭✭✭
    I held those very coins in my hands about 12 days ago. They were covered in PVC residue and the spots (to my eyes at least) were not as bad as shown in the images. Beautiful things regardless.

They sold last week as lot 1445 in Downies Auction 313 AUD$32,000 plus 19.25% commission. Interesting that Pre-Decimal.Com is using the same images for the coins that Downies used in their catalogue.
    Successful trades with Syracusian, DeiGratia, LordM, WWW, theboz11, CCC2010, Hyperion, ajaan, wybrit, Dennis88 and many others.
  • wybritwybrit Posts: 6,952 ✭✭✭
    Interesting pieces. The obverse strike is probably unique, so it is difficult to put any price on the pair.

Agreed that it's a shame about the toning spots, but rarity would trump those in this case.
    Former owner, Cambridge Gate collection.
  • So why does it say the item was listed on predecimal.com on the 3rd May 2012?? Strange.
  • LochNESSLochNESS Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭
    They were covered in PVC residue and the spots (to my eyes at least) were not as bad
    So they underwent a conservation process? And the process revealed or worsened the spots? I'd like to know more about that if anyone has an educated guess!

<< <i>So why does it say the item was listed on predecimal.com on the 3rd May 2012?? Strange. >>

I dunno but apparently that's the same month you joined the forum! Coincidence? imageimage
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

• mnemtsas2mnemtsas2 Posts: 745 ✭✭✭

<< <i>They were covered in PVC residue and the spots (to my eyes at least) were not as bad
    So they underwent a conservation process? And the process revealed or worsened the spots? I'd like to know more about that if anyone has an educated guess! >>

I do not believe so. The images on pre-decimal.com are the same as those used in the Downies Auction which were taken before I viewed. When I viewed the coins had spots and PVC. It's just that in-hand the spots did not seem so obvious.
    Successful trades with Syracusian, DeiGratia, LordM, WWW, theboz11, CCC2010, Hyperion, ajaan, wybrit, Dennis88 and many others.
  • 7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,228 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Given that the pattern 1953 UNIQUE crown bit the turf at St. James this month (IMO and it should have at that estimate) I don't think a doubling in price from the last auction of this pair is warranted.
  • SYRACUSIANSYRACUSIAN Posts: 6,445 ✭✭✭✭
    Is this a unique pair that predecimal acquired from the Australian auction? Or is this another pair, worth inquiring for how much they sold at Bonham's and when.
    Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
  • 7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,228 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I understand it to be the same pair...
    I'm thinking the Australian price realized
    much closer to the "true value"..