Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Found a MUCH better use for the money I'm getting from trimming the Victoria Hope Collection.

I've recently downsized my daughter Victoria's 1901 British Empire type set, and sold off the non-MS, non-slabbed coins.

I was going to use these funds to buy one or two more nice MS slabbed pieces for the set.

I temporarily held back on one non-Mint State coin, though, since it's one of only two gold coins in the set (and one of three we'll need).

I'm referring to the PCGS AU58 1901-M Australian Sovereign, which was the topic of a recent poll thread.

It seems the majority there were of the opinion I should keep the AU58 instead of trading it in on one of the two MS62 examples I had my eye on.

So I found a much better use for the money from the downsizing sales, but not quite in the way you'd expect.

I was tired and decided to go off for a nap before graveyard shift, so I let Victoria use the computer.

She's been going on and on about this Camp Rock Eagle, a 4-H camp, for days on end.

She really, reeeallly wanted to go, since a 4-H representative visited their school recently and talked about it.

Thing is, I was led to understand that this place runs about 350 bucks a week. Yow.

That's not terribly expensive by the standards of the resort I work in, but on our budget? Ha.

Ladymarcovan and I discussed it and decided that this would happen when pigs fly, or maybe if the grandparents ponied up the cash.

"Hey, let me borrow the computer desk back for a second," I told Victoria.

"I need to write somebody a check. Go and feed up the outside critters, and I'll be done when you come back in."

So she went out and fed the critters.

I sat down at the desk and wrote out a check.

Payee: VICTORIA HOPE SHINNICK.

Amount: THREE HUNDRED FIFTY DOLLARS & 00/00 CENTS.

Memo line: "SAVE THIS. YOU'RE GOIN' TO CAMP! (small smiley face added for effect)

Left it on the desk.

Zombielike, I shuffled off towards the bedroom.

Victoria came back in.

"Hey, girl, do me another favor. When I wrote that check out, I didn't have my glasses on.

Go look at it for me and make sure I filled it out correctly, would you?"

I stumbled off again.

From the room I'd just left, there were sudden squealing sounds and the reverberations of somebody jumping up and down.

The bouncing didn't stop for at least an hour.

Best 350 bux I've spent in a very, very long time. image

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.

Comments

• Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,218 ✭✭✭✭✭

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    bronzematbronzemat Posts: 2,605 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very cool, at least she will make some memories thats sure to last a lifetime. Hopefully make a friend or 2 as well. Thats more then what a gold coin or 2 locked up would do image
  • Options
    ZoharZohar Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thats one happy kid Rob! Very well played. I am sure she will remember this for a long time.
  • Options
    And she's still got the AU58 sovereign. Just not an MS example... yet.

I've still got a decade or so to play with this set.

• Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,125 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow, she has grown since we saw her at FUN so many moons ago.

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,328 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Very cool, at least she will make some memories thats sure to last a lifetime. Hopefully make a friend or 2 as well. Thats more then what a gold coin or 2 locked up would do image >>

How true.

You're a great dad!
  • Options
    mnemtsas2mnemtsas2 Posts: 745 ✭✭✭
    Yes, a much better way of spending the money. Well done.
    Successful trades with Syracusian, DeiGratia, LordM, WWW, theboz11, CCC2010, Hyperion, ajaan, wybrit, Dennis88 and many others.
  • Options
    LochNESSLochNESS Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭
    I went to that exact same camp, when I was in 5th grade. Here in Atlanta, many of the schools take annual trips there.

It was the best camp I ever attended, hands-down. We did all kinds of awesome activities including those that built peer trust, teamwork and leadership skills.

A great use of the money that will pay you (and her) dividends.

edited to add: looking at their website, I believe we did the "canoeing" and "high ropes / adventure" packages. We were only there for five days, it was a week-long thing during the Spring quarter. Of course it's been a while so I'm sure things have changed slightly since my time there.
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

• Options
    northcoinnorthcoin Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for sharing. After she gets back from the 4-H Camp she might find she can continue the experience by joining or starting a 4-H Club of her own. Taking care of those "critters" outside could be the start of an enjoyable 4-H project. I'm sure 4-H has changed a lot since I was a member, but it took me to Club Congress in Chicago which was a memorable experience.
  • Options
    DorkGirlDorkGirl Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭
    Very coolimage
    Becky
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Outstanding LordM..... May be tough financially, but that kind of reward (both at the moment, and the experience she will have) make the effort worthwhile. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    Heart warming!
    Regards,
    Dolan
  • Options
    STLNATSSTLNATS Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭
    Absolutely the highest and best use of your money, esp when they're little. Infinitely better than buying a few plastic grade points and something they'll remember forever (so it truely translates into pennies (or less) a day). Well done Lord M!

Always interested in St Louis MO & IL metro area and Evansville IN national bank notes and Vatican/papal states coins and medals!
  • Options
    Steve27Steve27 Posts: 13,274 ✭✭✭
    Nice Rob!
    "It's far easier to fight for principles, than to live up to them." Adlai Stevenson
  • Options
    ormandhormandh Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭
    Good for you. I used to pass this place daily when I lived in Georgia. Man do I miss Georgia.... image
  • Options
    Great job Lordmarcovan! image
    Thanks for sharing!
    The member formerly known as Ciccio / Posts: 1453 / Joined: Apr 2009
  • Options

<< <i>You're a great dad! >>

Only because I failed so miserably at it with my firstborn; a son from my first marriage in North Carolina, who will soon be 22 years old. image

He was an unexpected arrival and I was not mature enough for fatherhood at the time. Money problems reared their head and the marriage crumbled. I fled to Georgia to move back in with my Dad at the age of thirty, and the 400-mile distance plus my ex-wife's remarriage pretty much destroyed any chances I had of being a father to my son. He was four and a half when I left and I did not see him again until he was eighteen, after he'd graduated from high school. Things are cordial enough between us now, but still awkward. There were far too many wasted opportunities and fourteen crucial years is a lot of time lost. The good news is that he and half sister Victoria have met and hit it off right away. No awkwardness at all there. He's happy to have a little sister.

My son's name is Justice, and I only hope he lives up to his name. One day I hope I can make up for my past shortcomings and do us both some justice.

Edited to add how grateful I am for having been given a second chance.

• Options
    AethelredAethelred Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭
    Well done Rob!!!
    If you are in the Western North Carolina area, please consider visiting our coin shop:

WNC Coins, LLC
    1987-C Hendersonville Road
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • Options
    HussuloHussulo Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭
    Thats a great Story Rob. You made a very nice choice and one she will remember.