Home Buy, Sell & Trade - World & Ancient Coins

Canadian Gold with PCGS Gold Foil Inserts

I have a small assortment of coins and currency listed below. Shipping and insurance are paid for by me and all items may be returned within a one week (7-day) period for complete refund. Payment accepted by personal, bank or business check or money order, USPS money order and PayPal options. I prefer to avoid the use of PayPal with the fees that are associated with this option, but if it is required please let me know. Any questions may be asked within the thread or sent to me via PM or to my email address of tbush@tbnumismatics.com. Thank you for your time.

Additionally, at this time I am also offering an advanced notice email option whereby you may receive descriptions and prices of all new purchases after each major show or, in the event that a larger purchase is made between shows, as soon as I have a nice group of coins and currency. Simply send me a PM with your email address or send an email requesting to be placed on the advanced notice list. I will not hammer you with emails or a sales pitch; only the occasional update to my site. Lastly, if you would like to read more frequent updates as to my business, you may want to follow or "like" me on Facebook.

All coins listed on my website now have direct links under them with their certification number, which allows access to the NGC, PCGS and/or CAC database, as applicable. This has been instituted to better allow my clients to research auction history of a particular coin, confirm certification status, view possible alternative images and ascertain an accurate market price. Additionally, I am now carrying currency and PMG-certified currency is likewise linked to the PMG database.

I have available a few coins that have recently been delivered to me from the RCM and were then immediately forwarded to PCGS in order to be graded and encapsulated in the PCGS gold foil insert holder. These holders have the "Canadian Gold Reserve" title on them to note that the coin in the holder is from this very special group offered by the RCM. The coins generally have superb reverses and both obverse and reverse have subtle rings of deeper gold along the rims where the coins show their age beautifully. If you ever wanted a coin imbued with interesting history, with great elegance and beauty, produced with flawless execution, made from Canadian gold and representing Canada through and through then these wonderful, scarce coins may be exactly the items to obtain. These coins are also the quintessential example of original gold coinage that has sat undisturbed for approximately a century and has never been dipped, wiped, exposed to putty or otherwise abused. That is, they are fabulous examples of what original skin gold should and can look like and, as such, they are great teaching tools for the numismatist. Currently, they are offered at not much over their gold bullion value, but to many they are so much more than gold bullion.

The last image in this notice is a stock image provided by PCGS to show the gold foil insert and this is followed by the text from the RCM regarding release of these coins. Please note that the coins offered here represent the pooled purchases of several dealers and that only the highest graded coins have been chosen to sell on my site. Therefore, these coins here should be, on average, significantly nicer than the typical coin offered by the RCM.

1) 1913 Canadian $10 Gold PCGS MS63 Coin A $1,295.00

2) 1913 Canadian $10 Gold PCGS MS63 Coin B $1,295.00

3) 1913 Canadian $10 Gold PCGS MS63 Coin C $1,295.00

4) 1914 Canadian $10 Gold PCGS MS63 Coin A $1,275.00

5) 1914 Canadian $10 Gold PCGS MS63 Coin B $1,275.00

6) 1914 Canadian $10 Gold PCGS MS63 Coin C $1,275.00

Stock image of the PCGS gold foil insert-

The following is quoted from the RCM regarding the release of these coins-
"The Canadian Branch of Britain’s Royal Mint opened in Ottawa in January 1908 for the purpose of producing circulation Canada’s circulation coinage, as well as to finally refine Canada’s growing gold resources on domestic soil for conversion into Canadian dollar-denominated coins. This part of the Mint’s mandate was realized from 1912 to 1914, when $5 and $10 gold coins proudly displaying national symbols were produced in the same Ottawa facility where the Royal Canadian Mint continues to refine and produce world-class gold coins and investment products.

Made of 90% pure Canadian gold, much of it from the Klondike region (1912) and Ontario (1913-14), and 10% copper, the reverse side of these first Canadian gold coins featured the inscription “CANADA” above a shield bearing the Arms of the Dominion of Canada in a wreath of maple leaves, beneath which appeared their year of issue and face value. The obverse bore the effigy of the newly crowned Sovereign King George V.

Our short-lived experience with a domestic gold currency was abruptly ended by the outbreak of the First World War in 1914 as the Government of Canada recovered the majority of circulating $5 and $10 coins and withheld remaining stocks from circulation to help finance the war effort. Struck 100 years ago, and sealed for more than 75 years in the vaults at the Bank of Canada, a rare collection of the first truly Canadian gold coins have now returned home to the Royal Canadian Mint.

Approximately 245,000 King George V $5 and $10 gold coins dated 1912, 1913 or 1914 are currently held in the Exchange Fund Account (EFA), controlled by the Minister of Finance. To liquidate these physical assets and convert them into high credit quality, marketable fixed income securities, 30,000 of these coins were hand-selected for sale as high-quality treasures of Canada’s numismatic past. The remaining coins bearing imperfections from handling or environmental conditions will be melted and refined into pure gold by the Mint, which will convert them into a tradable, liquid asset."
Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

Comments