Home Metal Detecting
Options

What do you think of this detector for a beginner (me)

lcoopielcoopie Posts: 8,767 ✭✭✭✭✭
LCoopie = Les

Comments

• Options
    spy88spy88 Posts: 764 ✭✭
    lcoopie, your link isn't showing me your purchase, just seeing the right side of the page.

Not familiar with that make/model but there are lots of manufacturers out there that sell decent equipment and if the price I'm seeing is what you paid for it, it is just a matter of getting out there and seeing what it can do.

I do know tho, as with anything you spend money on, you only get as good as you spend. I say this because prices for a decent, quality machine should run $400+ and can get into the $1000's if you want. My first puchase back in 1973 was a Whites for $150 if I remember correctly. Since then, the electronics have miniaturized, enhanced depth and some models will even discriminate (tell you if it's tin foil, a dime or a gold nugget etc).

But it all boils down to having fun on a nice day, and when you get a hit and you pull something out of the ground that may have been there for decades, well, it is a rush!!!

It's almost akin to finding gold flakes in your pan!! Now there's a good feeling!!image
    Everything starts and everything stops at precisely the right time for precisely the right reason.
  • Options
    thanks,
    I think I fixed the link
    LCoopie = Les
  • Options
    Linky works now...

Now all you have to do is find $100+ worth of goodies and you're all set!!!

Good hunting!!
    Everything starts and everything stops at precisely the right time for precisely the right reason.
  • Options
    ormandhormandh Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭
    I personally think that you will get discouraged using this. I would spend a little more money for a machine that works a little harder to discriminate. You should be able to spend $300 or so for a better machine.

I specifically remember buying a low-grade White's in the early 90's which almost kept me from hunting ever again. Needless to say, that same machine I sold at a yard sale for $20 and was happy to get it. Basically, it was more money than that machine ever produced for me during it's use! image

-Dan
  • Options
    Dan, the Whites I had in the early '70s worked beautifully! Had a old grade school of a couple acres of grass that I was the first to hit. Man did I find a lot of goodies! I also used it near a beach (on a Island in Puget Sound) and actually dug up a beautiful arrowhead. Course that's not what my detector was picking up but I never found that item.

Was told by the people at UW that the entire Puget Sound land areas were popular with many native American tribes...fishing, hunting,etc.
    Still have the arrowhead!
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,198 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks like a cheapo, but could be fun.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    I think I'd save my money and go for one in at least the 250-300 dollar range...but that's just me.
  • Options
    JohnnyCacheJohnnyCache Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you really look at the machine, the way the coil wire goes into the shaft, the shape of the battery compartment, it all sort of reminds me of a minelab.
    I just wonder, with the success of Garrett's Ace 250, followed up by a low entry point machine by whites, could this be a lower end machine made by minelab under a different name so as not to diminish the high end, top of the line, status minelab has in the market place?

While I typically agree that a better detector, one that can offer fine discrimination and increased target depth will yield better results, hence more enjoyment, perhaps this unit isn't as bad as it might initially appear, particularly for a new guy. If after purchasing they decide they like MDing they can always get a higher end machine. Not alot of capital put out on this one. Heck, not that it would be my thing, but you could easily pay for this puppy in about a months time just searching playgrounds for quarters.

And who here, or at least who among us that has been detecting for a while, has only one machine???

I have a Whites V3, a Whites DFX, a Minelab Excaliber and a Garrett Ace 250.
    The 250 was my first machine, had it one week and bought a Garrett GTI 1500. Kept that for about a year to a year and 1/2 sold it on the Bay and then got the DFX.
    Used the DFX for a couple years bought the V3. Some where in the middle I got the Minelab for the beach.
    The only detector I don't have is the GTI1500. I keep the DFX as Backup or for any adult friends that want to come along and give MDing a go.
    The ACE is light and lets my kids come along on those very rare instances when they want go MDing with me.

I say give it a go, at worst you'd be out a $100.00 and you could always move it on ebay for at least $50.00
    I see it as an inexpensive entry point to the hobby, particularly if your still on the fence as to whether or not you think you'll enjoy MDing.

JC

edit for spelling
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would get a higher end machine.... Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    LochNESSLochNESS Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭
    One week later and the link is already broken ... f'ing Costco always changing their inventory.
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

• Options
    it's still there, but not $20 off anymore

link to costco
    LCoopie = Les