Home U.S. Coin Forum

55 DD Lincoln

The father of a friend of mine pulled this out of circulation in the 1955/56 time frame. He claimed
he got it in change from a small Mom and Pop store. He is 89 years old and collected coins out of circulation
when he was a young man.

I spent a good amount of time today coming up with an image that I thought was acceptable. I found that a 3rd
light on Lincolns face helped bring out the cheekbone, whereby the reverse looked better with 2 side lights. I bracketed
the exposure and chose the one that matches the coin in hand.

It will soon be sent to our host to be entombed for the first time in it's life.

Positive transactions with Cladiator, Meltdown, ajbauman, LeeG, route66,DennisH,Hmann,FilamCoins,mgoodm3,terburn88,MrOrganic, weg,dcarr,guitarwes,Zubie,Barndog,wondercoin,braddick,etc...

Comments

• CoppercolorCoppercolor Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭
    Looks Au58- Au63 Brown! What a great find and great heirloom!

My father has an 1877 Indian, WELL WORN, that his grandfather found in an elevator ashtray around the turn of the century. I believe it to be his favorite piece withing what is otherwise an attractive mint state set, which reminds me how we get too caught up in grades sometimes.

sometimes image
    Coppercolor
    I'd like my copper well done please!
  • goldengolden Posts: 9,017 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cool story. Looks like a nice one.
  • mkman123mkman123 Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭✭
    wow thats a pretty one! AU58 or higher!
    Successful Buying and Selling transactions with:

Many members on this forum that now it cannot fit in my signature. Please ask for entire list.
  • LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>wow thats a pretty one! >>

+1

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• TennesseeDaveTennesseeDave Posts: 4,737 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's a great coin and story as well, but I will say it grades 55 or 58. I can see wear on the high points.
    Trade $'s
  • I'd grade it at a 63.
    Home of the ehew ehew bird!

• << <i>The father of a friend of mine pulled this out of circulation in the 1955/56 time frame. He claimed
    he got it in change from a small Mom and Pop store. He is 89 years old and collected coins out of circulation
    when he was a young man. >>

I'll say it's a nice, eye-appealing AU58. I see signs of wear on the high points. It looks to have very nice surfaces and great color.
    “When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic.” — Benjamin Franklin

My icon IS my coin. It is a gem 1949 FBL Franklin.
  • LeeBoneLeeBone Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Woulda been so image to find this in circulationimage
  • JRoccoJRocco Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The 55 DDO is a great coin and you are lucky to have one in your collection.
    She looks like a solid 55 to me.

edited to add: solid 55 as in AU55
    Some coins are just plain "Interesting"
  • bestclser1bestclser1 Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭
    au58
    Great coins are not cheap,and cheap coins are not great!
  • nwcoastnwcoast Posts: 2,826 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Beautiful coin and a cool story...
    Seeing this, after that beauty that Charmy (excuse spelling if wrong please) has me thinking more and more that this coin should be the next
    significant addition to my collection!
    That's a super coin!image

Happy, humble, honored and proud recipient of the “You Suck” award 10/22/2014

• lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,885 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The 55DDO in any grade is a wonderful coin to own. The most well known error of all time. That's a beauty. Certainly AU+.

The images are light on contrast. Fewer lights will help with a low contrast coin. Otherwise add a little with your editor.
    Lance.
  • stealerstealer Posts: 3,968 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>The father of a friend of mine pulled this out of circulation in the 1955/56 time frame. He claimed

I'll say it's a nice, eye-appealing AU58. I see signs of wear on the high points. It looks to have very nice surfaces and great color. >>

Just because he pulled it out of circulation doesn't make it a circulated coin by any standard. image
  • JRoccoJRocco Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>The father of a friend of mine pulled this out of circulation in the 1955/56 time frame. He claimed

I'll say it's a nice, eye-appealing AU58. I see signs of wear on the high points. It looks to have very nice surfaces and great color. >>

Just because he pulled it out of circulation doesn't make it a circulated coin by any standard. image >>

This is true,
    But the wear above his ear, along the jawline, on the cheek as well as on the wheat ears does.
    Some coins are just plain "Interesting"
  • sbeverlysbeverly Posts: 962 ✭✭✭
    The images are light on contrast. Fewer lights will help with a low contrast coin. Otherwise add a little with your editor.

Lance,

You are right about the contrast. My tired eyes didn't see it yesterday. I bumped it a little in Photoshop.

Positive transactions with Cladiator, Meltdown, ajbauman, LeeG, route66,DennisH,Hmann,FilamCoins,mgoodm3,terburn88,MrOrganic, weg,dcarr,guitarwes,Zubie,Barndog,wondercoin,braddick,etc...

• << <i>

<< <i>

Just because he pulled it out of circulation doesn't make it a circulated coin by any standard. image >>

Lol, I know. image it does explain the slight rub on the highpoints though. image
    “When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic.” — Benjamin Franklin

My icon IS my coin. It is a gem 1949 FBL Franklin.
  • CoppercolorCoppercolor Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭
    What's so nice about this coin is super clean flields, so little of the chatter that tends to come with a slightly circulated piece.

The slighest wear on the diagonal jacket lapel, the very highest point of the shoulder and above the ear are what caught my eye.
    I'd like my copper well done please!
  • TireKickerTireKicker Posts: 870 ✭✭
    That is at least an AU-58 IMHO. Depending on the ear area being a variance in color or wear. If it is a color variance this will be an MS-60+ coin.image Again IMHO
    All the best,

Rob

Successful Trades with: Coincast, MICHAELDIXON

Successful Purchases from: Manorcourtman, Meltdown
  • LeeBoneLeeBone Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Seeing these nice pics is making me want to get Todd to take some of mine. A measly AU53 but I still like it. Hopefully I can make it to Balt.
  • seanqseanq Posts: 8,568 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Do you know where he grew up? I ask because many of these were found in the Boston area, they were placed in cigarette packs sold in vending machines - the smokes cost $.23 per pack, so the machine took a quarter and you got your two cents change with the pack. The cellophane wrappers on those packs caused many of the coins to tone. The rich brown / steel blue colors on the coin in your picture are what I've always heard the cigarette coins looked like.

Sean Reynolds
    Incomplete planchets wanted, especially Lincoln Cents & type coins.

"Keep in mind that most of what passes as numismatic information is no more than tested opinion at best, and marketing blather at worst. However, I try to choose my words carefully, since I know that you guys are always watching." - Joe O'Connor
  • DorkGirlDorkGirl Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭
    Very nice!
    Becky
    Do you know where he grew up?

All I know at this point is that my friend's Father got it in change, at a store in New Jersey.
    The next time I talk to him I will try to get more information.
  • newnotesnewnotes Posts: 65 ✭✭
    I worked with a guy who claimed he had about 50 of these that he found in cigarette packs. He was a window clerk at the Post Office I was a Mailman at and he was quite full of himself most of the time. BUT, his story added up to me because of the circumstances of him being in the right place at the right time. He was at a bowling tournament in Rochester, New York when he found them. I never thought back then about buying one from him. He passed away at least 20 years ago. I know his nephew and next time I see him I think I will inquire if there are any left. Who knows? Maybe they were spent as loose change.
  • crypto79crypto79 Posts: 8,623
    Its ok but it is nooo 2009 DDR. Kidding that is a cool find and I can't tell if the hair is weakly struck and the coin is MS63 or if it slides in at AU58 but either way it is very nice.
  • WaterSportWaterSport Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Swab it with some acetone before sending it in, it will make the rev look better.

WS
    Proud recipient of the coveted PCGS Forum "You Suck" Award Thursday July 19, 2007 11:33 PM and December 30th, 2011 at 8:50 PM.
  • seanqseanq Posts: 8,568 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I worked with a guy who claimed he had about 50 of these that he found in cigarette packs. He was a window clerk at the Post Office I was a Mailman at and he was quite full of himself most of the time. BUT, his story added up to me because of the circumstances of him being in the right place at the right time. He was at a bowling tournament in Rochester, New York when he found them. I never thought back then about buying one from him. He passed away at least 20 years ago. I know his nephew and next time I see him I think I will inquire if there are any left. Who knows? Maybe they were spent as loose change. >>

There was a story going around years ago that I always assumed was apocryphal, about a guy at a bowling alley who brought a roll of cents to feed the "kitty" with his teammates - basically every time one of them threw a strike, you put a penny in, or every time you missed a spare, etc. The story went that when he opened the roll he noticed every coin was doubled, but he thought no further of it and spent them all as the night progressed. It was only months later that he learned what he'd had when the discovery hit the main stream press.

Sean Reynolds
    Incomplete planchets wanted, especially Lincoln Cents & type coins.

"Keep in mind that most of what passes as numismatic information is no more than tested opinion at best, and marketing blather at worst. However, I try to choose my words carefully, since I know that you guys are always watching." - Joe O'Connor
  • AU 55 bn
  • ksammutksammut Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭
    Wow! My son has gone through 75,000 cents over the last month. Some fun finds but nothing that good.
    American Numismatic Association Governor 2023 to 2025 - My posts reflect my own thoughts and are not those of the ANA.

My Numismatics with Kenny eBay Store Over 6000 listings and growing with more than 35,000 items sold

My Numismatics with Kenny Twitter Page

Instagram - numismatistkenny

My Numismatics with Kenny Blog Page Best viewed on a laptop or monitor.

ANA Life Member & Volunteer District Representative

2019 ANA Young Numismatist of the Year

Doing my best to introduce Young Numismatists and Young Adults into the hobby.

• GeorgeKelloggGeorgeKellogg Posts: 1,251 ✭✭
    That's a nice coin with a cool story. Congrats on helping your friend!
    "Clamorous for Coin"
  • johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,409 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I'll say 63BN. Great coin, great story behind it too! >>

I'm sorry that I didn't reply back to this thread when the coin came back from PCGS.
    (I thought I did, only to find out otherwise).

The 55 DD Lincoln came back entombed as a AU58.

Thanks to all for commenting.
  • Thank you for the update and it's a beauty.
  • DennisHDennisH Posts: 13,963 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pretty coin.
    That's a coin that is still on my collecting Bucket List.
    When in doubt, don't.
  • oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,865 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Same here Dennis image ...one of these days.

These are the kind of stories I wish that I could have been a part of. There is no telling how many Zincoln DDO and Wide & Close AM Varieties have passed through our hands without even giving it a second thought.

Very image story! image
    oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug...
  • garrynotgarrynot Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭
    Whatever the grade, congrats to your friend and his father for keeping the coin well preserved all these years.
  • ashelandasheland Posts: 22,612 ✭✭✭✭✭

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file