Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Just made my first PCGS PO01!! (pictures added)

Just checked the status of my order, and I made a 1976 Half Dollar PO01. I am very happy with the results.

Comments

• Options
    bolivarshagnastybolivarshagnasty Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sounds like a good name for a punk band "The Slick Kennedys".image
    BTW- Your a sick man. Seek help.
  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    pictures!
    Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    Sorry for not having any pictures. I will take pictures once I receive the coin back from PCGS.
  • Options
    Thanks, FTB.
  • Options
    MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 5,310 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Way to nail the Holy Grail of underachieving coins, Steve!! Ain't no thing getting a 70, but a PO01!
    Now riding the swell in PM's and surf.
  • Options
    SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,886 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I hope you Trueviewed that POS.

Just kidding
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,849 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hahaha Swampy. image If it got any worse it would have been genuine.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I know these make some people happy, and great for them. However, I will never understand it....oh well, to each his/her own...Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    CoinspongeCoinsponge Posts: 3,927 ✭✭✭
    You have to admit it can be a conversation piece. Of course you have to be very secure about the status of your sanity.
    Gold and silver are valuable but wisdom is priceless.
  • Options
    lcoopielcoopie Posts: 8,778 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't understand this type of collecting either, but enjoy.
    LCoopie = Les
  • Options
    DavideoDavideo Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭✭
    Do you know the pops on that? It's tough to gauge value, but PO01 moderns are tough to come by.

Oh, and congrats - pictures needed!
  • Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,116 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Do you know the pops on that? It's tough to gauge value, but PO01 moderns are tough to come by.

Oh, and congrats - pictures needed! >>

I am not sure of values either, but I offered Steve via a PM $250. for his coin and I bet he turns me down.

peacockcoins

• Options
    joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 14,875 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congrats.very cool! I have a Kennedy in the low,low condition too,but no date,It's not legible to grade.Oh well. -joeyimageimage

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • Options

<< <i>Congrats.very cool! I have a Kennedy in the low,low condition too,but no date,It's not legible to grade.Oh well. -joeyimageimage >>

Would be if it was a first year issue!
    (90% silver and/or reverse "D" mintmark would allow PCGS to grade, problem free, without a date.)

peacockcoins

• Options
    Yeah I know.I wish It was a 64' this way,even without the date,one can tell. It is clad,nobody can ever tell. That's cool,It still makes for an conversation piece. Thanks. imageimage

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • Options
    I always wondered about a PO1 or 2 grade,if silver,how much of the silver has worn away also? imageimageimage

• Options
    I have a 64 (no date visible) code 86d twice because it lost too much weight that they could not determine if it was a 64 or a 65-70. The peak of the 4 in 1964 was showing, and I even noted it on the mylar flip to no avail. I think I am going to see if ANACS or NGC will grade it.
  • Options
    Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,362 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice, job Steve! You have a good eye for 'slick' coins. This one sounds downright cool.

Dave
    Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • Options
    Thank you, Dave.

When I first started collecting in the mid 1990s (my teenage years), I was only interested in bright white uncirculated silver coins (with silver so low at the time even a kid like me working at a grocery store could afford nice examples). As I grew older my tastes have changed and I find lowball classic commemorative half dollars and lowball modern coins to be the most interesting because of the history and simply because their populations are so low. I have also had a great time discussing these coins with Bob (pocketpiececommems), and Pat Braddick. This forum has been a valuable resource.
  • Options
    USMoneyloverUSMoneylover Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭
    Congrats Steve...I'm glad you were successful!
    Finest Coins and Relics
  • Options
    Here are a couple pictures of the coin

The following Lafayette PO01 I made about 3 years ago (wish it was in our hosts holder)

And a couple more PO01s

• Options
    NumisOxideNumisOxide Posts: 10,989 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The slick Lafayette is nice!
  • Options
    Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,362 ✭✭✭✭✭
    'Like' image

Dave
    Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,898 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congrats Steve! I love modern, clad PO01's. There's something cool about a clad PO01 image

The other coins are great as well image
  • Options
    AthenaAthena Posts: 439 ✭✭✭
    It looks better than Poor, IMO image
  • Options

<< <i>It looks better than Poor, IMO image >>

Ownership adds a point.
  • Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,294 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice job??

Did PCGS ever label them BS-1??
    "My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options

<< <i>That's fabulous news!! The last time I had a shadowy Colonial sent to PCGS they said it was too ghostly to verify it was a Connecticut Colonial and refunded our money!

If you ever sell it at auction, I just hope it gets the most derogatory descriptions as it so richly deserves! "Reckless Youth"?? >>

I had a 64 Kennedy and a 1986 Silver Eagle come back code 86 and refunded. I believe they will not refund you anymore even if they cannot determine the coin?
  • Options
    Very nice,dude! Your fortunate that the half is obvious an " bicentennial" year. You don't need the date to be legible. I have a Kennedy,with no date,so not gradable! Good for you on your PO1. Very cool! -joey imageimage

• Options
    WoodenJeffersonWoodenJefferson Posts: 6,491 ✭✭✭✭
    Question: How did PCI determine that was a '93 Colombian and not from '92?
    Chat Board Lingo

"Keep your malarkey filter in good operating order" -Walter Breen
  • Options
    nwcoastnwcoast Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congratulations! I've never seen a more haggard Kennedy half in my life!

Happy, humble, honored and proud recipient of the “You Suck” award 10/22/2014

• Options

<< <i>Question: How did PCI determine that was a '93 Colombian and not from '92? >>

There is a ghost of a 3 in 1893 present.
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,512 ✭✭✭✭✭
    wtg on the kennedy
  • Options

<< <i>I have a 64 (no date visible) code 86d twice because it lost too much weight that they could not determine if it was a 64 or a 65-70. The peak of the 4 in 1964 was showing, and I even noted it on the mylar flip to no avail. I think I am going to see if ANACS or NGC will grade it. >>

they should be able to tell by the fact it isn't clad
  • Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    How can a 1970's Kennedy half or Ike get that well worn? Those aren't coins that typically circulate like the quarters and dimes. What are the odds that they were run through
    a mill or something to remove most of the design, and then slowly polished over time to age the coin? I've never seen anything like those in 1970's or later coinage....only in
    coinage from the 1940's (Mercs, Walkers, Washies) or earlier. In the past 20 years I've probably had only a couple of clad Kennedy's and Ike's in change. You never see them as they
    sit still in cash drawers or bank vaults most of the time. Cool coin though to reach the PO1 level.
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    ConstantineConstantine Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭
    Dang, you beat me by a point! But I have "uneven wear" lol.

• Options
    ConstantineConstantine Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭
  • Options

<< <i>image >>

Great coin, Constatine! The coins look like they could be siblings. Love the designations PCI used back in the 10 digit days "Uneven Wear", and "Smooth Rev." image
  • Options
    This old fellow might as well have had an authentic 1964 D Peace dollar because he carried it in his pocket for so long it could have come with any old story... However, since he won it in 1934, at the age of 12. I still remember him saying , " I won this new 1922 Peace Dollar at a carnival and have kept it in my pocket every day since ". He was wearing overalls and I believed him.

Oh the stories that coins tell. image Who knows how they get worn down ? Yet they do look cool. The LOW GRADE PO-01 is the MS 70 at the other spectrum. An elusive grade that makes for good chat.
  • Options
    Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was going to send one of them in but dont know now.image

Hoard the keys.
  • Options
    Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    fivecentsfivecents Posts: 11,207 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congrats Steve!!

Here are some lowballs from my personal collection.

• Options
    pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,744 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Couldn't help looking at these PO01's againimage
  • Options

<< <i>How can a 1970's Kennedy half or Ike get that well worn? Those aren't coins that typically circulate like the quarters and dimes. What are the odds that they were run through
    a mill or something to remove most of the design, and then slowly polished over time to age the coin? I've never seen anything like those in 1970's or later coinage
    ....only in
    coinage from the 1940's (Mercs, Walkers, Washies) or earlier. In the past 20 years I've probably had only a couple of clad Kennedy's and Ike's in change. You never see them as they
    sit still in cash drawers or bank vaults most of the time. Cool coin though to reach the PO1 level. >>

Not such an easy task. Offered this challenge awhile back and had no takers.

peacockcoins

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>How can a 1970's Kennedy half or Ike get that well worn? Those aren't coins that typically circulate like the quarters and dimes. What are the odds that they were run through
    a mill or something to remove most of the design, and then slowly polished over time to age the coin? I've never seen anything like those in 1970's or later coinage
    ....only in
    sit still in cash drawers or bank vaults most of the time. Cool coin though to reach the PO1 level. >>

Not such an easy task. Offered this challenge awhile back and had no takers.
    image >>

I did.

I still carry it in my pocket with several dollars in change ranging from cents to other half dollars to small dollars.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file