Home Metal Detecting
Options

earring find I think

This kind of funny but the liberty that was mentioned on PCGS web wearing the earring in 1882. Well I know why she only wore it that year. She lost it and I found it in Lane Kansas with my metal detector. I have let the guys at PCGS know and hope for a large reward for its return. LOLimage[/IMG]

Comments

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No picture... but sounds interesting.... Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    image[/IMG]
  • Options
    Nope...that did not work either... Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    JohnnyCacheJohnnyCache Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭✭✭
    In assistance to the OP

Nice Find!

Happy Hunting

JC
  • Options
    bronzematbronzemat Posts: 2,605 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thats pretty neat.
  • Options
    Thanks again for the help bringing forward the photo, I think I am going to try something besides photo bucket for my host. But maybe its just operator error, Well if you see the 1882 Pattern dollar coin this does look like the earring.
  • Options
    I thought it was supposed to be gold though. Only brass though. I am really itching to get out and try my new pinpointer and headphones
  • Options
    Interesting find....does the back show signs of attachment devices? It is a familiar design used on several coins (i.e. breast of Eagle etc). Could also be part of a military medal. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    Yes it does have some of the old solder residue and some bronze disease on the back. I always suspected a military type item, just thought it was cool that it was identical to the one hanging in Liberty's ear on the 1882 pattern coin. I wish I could find provenance that is was an earring from that time. I am open to anyone finding out what it is I have searched alot of military medals and have not found it. Thanks Dumbo
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,198 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You're right! It does look like Liberty's earring on that pattern coin! I know which one you are talking about.

Of course the shield device was used on all kinds of stuff, but that's plainly a 19th century version of it, and I would not be surprised at all if it were circa 1880s like the pattern coin.

A coincidence, no doubt, but a very cool one!

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.