Options
Lakeland (Florida) Coins Show---Post Your Newps
Couple of cool coin finds from yesterday's Lakeland Show. Post yours too!!!
1909 VDB 1c NGC MS65RB

1945-P 5c PCGS MS66
1909 VDB 1c NGC MS65RB

1945-P 5c PCGS MS66
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers
0
Comments
This show has always been hit or miss for me - at the Fall show, I did not buy a single coin, and nearly skipped this show yesterday.
No photos yet, but I did Ok - a number of nice circ walkers for inventory and want lists (21D, 17S obv, etc), and a couple firsts for
me - a 93S Barber half, and a 14S Barber quarter, in mid-grades. Also picked up an 04O half at a VERY reasonable price. And was finally
able to fill the hole in my Buff nickel set - the 18S. I sold the one out of my set for a customer who needed it, after being unable to locate one after a few months' searching. Figured I would replace it easy enough at FUN - wrong. Only saw a couple of junkers there, a few low grade coins, and a problem AU - and the date was totally missing from most dealer's stocks. Was quite surprised to find this coin (nice VF35) here, and at a bargain price to boot.
Not really looking for much these days but if I were, it might be a toner.
I was able to pic up nice nice mercs and buffalos, PQ for the grade coins in rattlers and OGHs for way below bid so that made my day. And big purchase of a lot of NGC and PCGS multi holders made my show.
The Populist Party ran James B. Weaver of Iowa for president in 1892. His running mate was James G. Field who hailed from Virginia and was a Confederate veteran. Weaver had been the candidate of the Greenback Party in 1880.
The Populist Party platform called for some of the following:
- The union of Labor forces shall be premanent and perpetual ...
- Weath belongs to him who creates it ... a dollar taken from industry (labor) without an equivalent is robbery
- The people must own the railroads
- The free and unlimited coinage of silver and gold
- Government owned telephone and telegraph for the benefit of the people
- A graduated income tax.
In the election the Populists received 1,024,280 popular votes (8.5% of the total) and 22 electoral votes in the Electoral College. This was an outstanding result for a third party, and it signaled the rise of William Jennings Bryan in 1896.
This piece is the finest struck of example of this political token that I have seen as a collector. So the trip to Lakeland was worth it.
<< <i>That cent looks sweet!
This show has always been hit or miss for me - at the Fall show, I did not buy a single coin, and nearly skipped this show yesterday.
No photos yet, but I did Ok - a number of nice circ walkers for inventory and want lists (21D, 17S obv, etc), and a couple firsts for
me - a 93S Barber half, and a 14S Barber quarter, in mid-grades. Also picked up an 04O half at a VERY reasonable price. And was finally
able to fill the hole in my Buff nickel set - the 18S. I sold the one out of my set for a customer who needed it, after being unable to locate one after a few months' searching. Figured I would replace it easy enough at FUN - wrong. Only saw a couple of junkers there, a few low grade coins, and a problem AU - and the date was totally missing from most dealer's stocks. Was quite surprised to find this coin (nice VF35) here, and at a bargain price to boot. >>
93S half, 14S quarter and an 04O half. I'd say you had a dang good show!
<< <i>This show has always been hit or miss for me - at the Fall show, I did not buy a single coin, and nearly skipped this show yesterday. >>
The prior Lakeland Shows have been more miss for me the past 4-5 years, this one was an exception. Almost did not attend...glad I went. Sounds like you made out well...
<< <i>Wasn't able to find a single coin for my AU58 type set. >>
Here's an AU58 I found today. Actually, the first non MS coin I've bought and the second Peace Dollar I've acquired...I'll post the other one later.
<< <i>This piece is the finest struck of example of this political token that I have seen as a collector. So the trip to Lakeland was worth it. >>
Those are some sweet coins!
<< <i>Stunning Peace dollar - the rev on that one is probably one of the prettiest I've ever seen! >>
The reverse is what attracted me to the coin. The other one I acquired is below...NGC MS64. The color is off just a tad as it's a bit more yellow in the fields and on the center face. My white balance needs adjusting. Thanks all for the kind comments!
"Everything is on its way to somewhere. Everything." - George Malley, Phenomenon
http://www.american-legacy-coins.com
<< <i>nice 09 vdb
I knew it would happen.
Hoard the keys.
BillJones- Interesting piece.
Michael Kittle Rare Coins --- 1908-S Indian Head Cent Grading Set --- No. 1 1909 Mint Set --- Kittlecoins on Facebook --- Long Beach Table 700
BTW - That '09 VDB & the Peace dollars are gorgous ! ! !
HH
1947-P & D; 1948-D; 1949-P & S; 1950-D & S; and 1952-S.
Any help locating any of these OBW rolls would be gratefully appreciated!